Another security alert for idiots

Tenebrae

Doesn't Microsoft Outlook still have a nasty tendancy to automatically open attachments unless you tell it not to? It may not have been strictly her fault. The article doesn't say that how the attachment got opened... unless that information was on that TV program you mentioned?

I agree that her lack of backups was dumb, though. I know I mirror all my work on two computers and a USB jump drive, with dated revisions... and the two computers don't even run the same OS (Windows on one, Linux on the other.)

On the TV it said "she opened the attachment". I don't think Outlook ever opened attachments though, in fact as I recall the default setting on my aunt's computer was to not even allow you to SEE potentially dangerous attachments (which it thought included .doc). Outlook was - as I recall - vulnerable to malacious code in the e-mail itself. Which was the real danger...

Although I just went to the BBC website and apparently the password has been discovered. Which isn't that surprising. It says it was because of poor programming but I'm betting someone just brute-forced it.