Canadian Terrorists Foiled by Ignorance of Geography

StitchInTime

I don't believe this. I just heard on the radio that this terrorist group who were arrested for plotting to blow up the parliament buildings aborted their plan because they didn't know much about the capital city of Canada.

Only in Canada, could terrorists be foiled by an ignorance of the geography of their own country. :rolleyes:

They probably think that Ottawa is in Michigan; whereas, everybody knows it's actually in Kansas. ;)

So, when you're not in the capital city, you can actually say, "Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore?" ;)

Or, perhaps we actually need a sign in Ottawa that says, "Dorothy, this is not Kansas." :cyclops:

Y'know, when reporting things like this, you should really give some, umm... details?

The one big detail: What, exactly, was the geographical screw up? You mention the screw up, laugh about it, but don't say what exactly it was. It's like saying the punchline and forgetting to actually say the joke.

Was this what you were talking about? If so, it doesn't mention anything about this 'geographical ignorance' you mentioned... and neither does another 3 news reports I've seen on it. Geez, when ya post something, you've gotta be more specific! ;p

I don't how I could be more specific than that. :o

They claimed they aborted it because they don't know the geographical layout of Ottawa, as they've never been there. Hence, they couldn't work out the geographical logistics of the operation. That's what the radio report said. It was on all-news radio. Mind you, if the report is true, it's a pretty lame excuse really, and maybe just their way of trying to get away with it.

I should also mention that this radio station invariably gets the latest news before any other station I know of or the Internet. I don't how they do it, but they beat the Internet and other media time-after-time.

I don't get what that has to do with the Kansas etc. thing... it just means they were too stupid to visit Ottawa and figure out where their targets were. It doesn't mean they thought Ottawa was, say, above Hudson's Bay, in British Columbia, or something like that.

I'd like to see ANYONE figure out positions in ANY big city without having visited it. You can't just get by with a road map.

(i.e. I don't get the joke, because to me it's a total non-sequitur. ("Why did the chicken cross the road?" "Twelve and three eighths!")). It's like saying, "HA! What rubes! An American not being able to find his way around New York without having visited there! That's just funny! Maybe he thought he was in Madrid?"

Guest Mrthumps

Have you ever been to ottawa? I highly doubt it given your attitude StitchinTime.

Don't rag about it and make jokes till you try making your way around that city, even with a map.

<- totally agrees. It's a mess. Lived there for three years, and I still needed a map to find some places. Also, one should -never- take a short cut through the residential neighborhoods of Kanata, because you're liable to -never- find your way out... it's a flat area with nearly endless series of almost identical looking houses on winding, labyrinthine roads.

Have you ever been to ottawa? I highly doubt it given your attitude StitchinTime.

Don't rag about it and make jokes till you try making your way around that city, even with a map.

I've been to Ottawa many times, and I don't know what you are talking about, when you say, "attitude." I'm not 'ragging' about anything. I had no idea I'd stir up such a fuss, and haven't had this reaction from any other site where I've posted this item. The joke is on the terrorists, not anybody else. If the mods. think this item is offensive in any way, I'm happy to delete it, or they can.

As for what Kansas has to do with it, there is a city of Ottawa in Kansas. Perhaps that helps?