The Ferengi

MrDad

http://scifi.about.com/library/weekly/aa031099.htm

The Ferengi aren't heavy political players, but they're the closest Star Trek's ever given us to political commentators. Cashing in on their lack of physical prowess, dulling people's animosity by being so obviously out for a buck, and being always in the center of some sort of ridiculous scheme or misunderstanding, the Ferengi are the Federation's court jesters. Only Quark has stood up to Sisko and told him that murdering, fascist Humans are worse than the peaceful Ferengi. Only Quark has stood up before the Klingon High Council and pointed out what a bunch of bullies they are.

It makes sense to me.

http://scifi.about.com/library/weekly/aa031099.htm

The Ferengi aren't heavy political players, but they're the closest Star Trek's ever given us to political commentators. Cashing in on their lack of physical prowess, dulling people's animosity by being so obviously out for a buck, and being always in the center of some sort of ridiculous scheme or misunderstanding, the Ferengi are the Federation's court jesters. Only Quark has stood up to Sisko and told him that murdering, fascist Humans are worse than the peaceful Ferengi. Only Quark has stood up before the Klingon High Council and pointed out what a bunch of bullies they are.

It makes sense to me.

Been reading Ayn Rand and Carl Popper, have we? :p

That's really the Ferengi of DS9. TNG was going to use them as bad guys (as demonstrated by Picard's run ins with Damon Bock) but they gradually got cast in the role of comic relief... which, given their first appearance isn't really that surprising. Their "evil" was so cartoonish, I think it was pretty inevitable... although, they retconned them a lot. TNG clearly seemed to illustrate them as aggressive and militaristic - whereas DS9 basically eliminated those elements (and went so far as to say there was pretty much only ONE Ferengi mercenary around and a single military victory in Ferengi history).

The article would be more interesting if it made more of the fact that really, humans (and the Federation) tout the Prime Directive and the non-interference it preaches all the time but then when it comes down to it, they're shoveling human morals down people's throats and meddling more often than not.

This brings to mind a whole separate issue about the Federation being like the borg in many ways. There was a great quote in DS9 about this, and it slammed home really well and stuck with me. Perhaps it deserves it's own topic here.

That's really the Ferengi of DS9. TNG was going to use them as bad guys (as demonstrated by Picard's run ins with Damon Bock) but they gradually got cast in the role of comic relief... which, given their first appearance isn't really that surprising. Their "evil" was so cartoonish, I think it was pretty inevitable... although, they retconned them a lot. TNG clearly seemed to illustrate them as aggressive and militaristic - whereas DS9 basically eliminated those elements (and went so far as to say there was pretty much only ONE Ferengi mercenary around and a single military victory in Ferengi history).

The article would be more interesting if it made more of the fact that really, humans (and the Federation) tout the Prime Directive and the non-interference it preaches all the time but then when it comes down to it, they're shoveling human morals down people's throats and meddling more often than not.

However -- and this is part of the disturbing stuff -- Humanity on Star Trek is also without:

* Physical unattractiveness

* Kinky sex

* Laisse-faire practicality

* Minding one's own business

I mean' date=' does it ever bother anyone else that all the Humans on TNG, DS9 and Voyager (with the one shining exception of Miles O'Brien) look like models? Everyone from Earth is just so damn pretty. And even horn-dogs like Riker and Paris seem to like their sex really straight. You never hear about Terrans starting up a business, or doing anything innovative in commerce, unless they're criminals. And, as Quark once symbolized so well for us with root beer, Humans are always in everyone's living room, telling them how to behave.

It seems it did