CBS now own TNG?

Carnifex

I get the TNG DVD collectors edition every fortnight and up until issue 55 everything was as it should be, HOWEVER, starting with 56 the Paramount logo (which used to be displayed prominently in several places) has been replaced by the CBS eye along with copyright notices stating that ......

Star Trek: The Next Generation and related elements and marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc.

TM ® & copyright © 2006 by CBS Studos Inc. CBS and the CBS eye logo is a trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

What the heck is going on? Do Paramount (or rather Viacom) own CBS or is Paramount just dumping what WE regard to be real ST in favour of making way for the new "Action fest" ST brand (read, dumba$$ sh*t) that Abrams is going to make?

I have to admit to being at least a little concerned!!

From Wikipedia:

When the CBS/Viacom split took effect in 2006, CBS inherited Paramount's TV program library, with Viacom keeping Paramount's films; on January 17, 2006 CBS Corporation CEO Les Moonves announced that the company would be renamed 'CBS Paramount Television' as of that day, with both the CBS 'eyemark' and Paramount's mountain united in the new logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Paramount_Television

All I know so far, is that CBS owns UPN so probably Paramount as well. In the coming Fall, CBS and Warner Brothers are combining their tv networks [uPN, WB] into the new CW network. Smallville and Supernatural are supposed to definitely be renewed. Quite a few series ended this year, possibly because of the merger and lack of funding for next season.

Hmmm.....

I wasn't aware that CBS were so big that even Viacom couldn't gobble them up, hence a 'split' being possible.

Looks like CBS changed their mind about the company name though, the name is either CBS Brodcasting or CBS Studios Inc... 'Paramount' isn't even mentioned anymore.

So this would mean that new movies would still be 'Paramount/Viacom' but any new show that 'may' be made are going to be 'CBS/Warner'

Oh God..... imagine Star Trek being made by the same people as Smallville!!! (not a bad show, just not who I'd want making ST)

Oh well I think Star Trek just died!

The movie IS going to be a crap fest I can guarentee that! Look at MI3, such a no-brainer formula and Abrams still screwed it up

And as the books really only appeal to small percentage of the folk who watch it on TV, the ST brand will effectively be out of sight, out of mind.... so yep ST is dead!

I haven't read an ST book in a long time, and never a comic. As Carnifex said, the next movie is likely to be horrible. Paramount is concerned only with making money from the name, rather than preserving/honouring the values it stands for. I've been a huge fan of Star Trek since *thinks* probably the early 90s, which is most of my life. It pains me to say it, but the facts are the facts.

Guest c4evap

All you folks who don't read any Star Trek books...do yourself a favor and pick one up. You'll be glad you did! There are tons out there just waiting for YOU.

c4 :D

And as the books really only appeal to small percentage of the folk who watch it on TV' date=' the ST brand will effectively be out of sight, out of mind.... so yep ST is dead![/quote']

Say it isn't so... wtf is wrong with studio executives? FELLAS - YOU JUST WON'T MAKE MONEY UNLESS THE PRODUCT IS GOOD.

I haven't read an ST book in a long time' date=' and never a comic. As Carnifex said, the next movie is likely to be horrible. Paramount is concerned only with making money from the name, rather than preserving/honouring the values it stands for. I've been a huge fan of Star Trek since *thinks* probably the early 90s, which is most of my life. It pains me to say it, but the facts are the facts.[/quote']

Try not the be too optimistic... :rolleyes:

But yeah i've read some Trek books and they're great - you shoud read some - and you can't just expect the new movie to be terrible - you can't be a proper fan with that attitude....