The antipodean thread

Antipodean

Well here we go, a thread for taking the piss or celebrating all things Australian & Kiwi. ;)

I guess, considering why we're all here, a special emphasis on Sci-fi wouldn't hurt neither.

To get things started, I'd like to hope that any Aussie or Kiwi forum members might come forward and identify themselves here. I'm sure there's more than a couple. As you might guess from my nick, I'm one of them. The name's Marcus & I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Anyhow, just so as this thread can kick off with a bit of substance - have any of you lot heard of Greg Egan? He's a madman Aussie sci-fi writer from Perth, and in my opinion, he's the best contemporary science fiction writer there is. I'm re-reading one of his at the moment, Permutation City... its one awesome novel, playing with the possibilities of a future where some humans have managed to 'upload' their consciousness's to become fully digital beings. It's interesting stuff and quite metaphysical in a hard sci-fi sorta way. Well worth the read if any of you can get a hold of it.

Well I guess since nobody is posting, I'll contribute my own non-australian content to this thread (Plus I only need about 15 more posts to make Lt. Commander).

I've always liked Crocodile Dundee. I don't know how you Aussies really feel about him; maybe you think of him as some kinda walking stereotype. But he was one of my heroes when I was little. I remember there was this guy my parents knew that looked (to me) dressed and talked like him (I don't remember who he really was or what he did for a living) and I absolutely belived that he was in fact, the real Crocodile Dundee. Kinda foolish, but that's how kids are.

And speaking of crazy Aussies and crocs in the media, someone should give their take on Steve Irwin. Once I actually saw an episode in which he literally made his wife cry from terror.

I will say hi to all you people sent to the holiday resort for stealing bread, yes i'm jealous and wish my mum and dad spent the £10 to go but hey all i have to look forward to now is retaining the ashes as i dont think winning them means jack.

Havent seen any aussie sci-fi's tho but i do remember seein some really cool film about a band and there drugs made in the 90's i think dont know the title.

Australia is a beautiful country for sure, the thing that stays in my mind from visiting when i was a teen was parrots in the trees and how cool the people i met where. well hey Adelaide is sweet will have to return someday.

Oh and btw yes i know some of my fellow countrymen probably wont believe me, but i didnt see a sheep the entire time i was there.

I've always liked Crocodile Dundee. I don't know how you Aussies really feel about him; maybe you think of him as some kinda walking stereotype. But he was one of my heroes when I was little.

He was based on a real guy, a larger than life crocodile hunter in the Northern Territiory. He did turn out to be a psychopath and murderer mind you... I guess solitude in the tropical north does strange things to mans mind.

Have enjoyed much from Down Under over the years, despite the friendly rivalry between "us and them."

One of the greatest Sci-fi sleepers of all time was "The Quiet Earth", although I guess that was New Zealand. Loved all the work done and the scenery in "Lord of the Rings", but most of that was done in NZ, I guess. I don't care about cricket...

Rugby, though, is a fantastic sport, and I'm upset that FOX Sports has cut their coverage. Loved seeing England squeak by to win the WC last time, although they couldn't beat a school of blind schoolgirls, now. Still, the All Blacks are always fantastic. Have to respect their consistency and brilliance. Although, they're from New Zealand...

One of the greatest Sci-fi sleepers of all time was "The Quiet Earth"' date=' although I guess that was New Zealand.[/quote']

Oh for sure! Loved that movie. For a small country, the Kiwis sure do have a flare for cinema.

I don't care about cricket...

Why oh why must you keep saying these ridiculous things??? :p

i was watchin the Football aus v Italy game last week (load of cheats they were huh) and was surprised that football is the 5th most popular sport in aus, i guess that if they keep improving it will become a top 3 at least.

It did get me thinking tho as too what the other 4 sports where, i could only think of 3 i.e. Cricket, rugby and tennis, any ideas what the other one is?

It did get me thinking tho as too what the other 4 sports where' date=' i could only think of 3 i.e. Cricket, rugby and tennis, any ideas what the other one is? [/quote']

Aussie Rules Football!!!

sampi3.jpg

Its a mix of a traditional aboriginal game and celtic football, with a few other rules chucked in.