M.A.N.T.I.S.

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

Thought I'd pass this along to you all...just in case...

Recently purchased the complete M.A.N.T.I.S. scifi tv series on DVD off Ebay. I had been looking for this for quite some time and was biting my nails waiting for it to arrive. Well, it's a POS! Whoever manufactured this travesty crammed like 8 EPs onto each DVD. Talk about a sh!tty picture! Looks like it was transcoded right from someone's old, crappy VCR tape. Thankfully, the seller has agreed to refund my $$$ (after asking me to try the DVD in a different player - like that would make a difference - it didn't).

So, if you shop Ebay and see this item...steer clear!

mantisfront.jpg

c4 :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest c4evap

Funny you should say that. I recently purchased Misfits of Science and it was also of poor quality. Waiting for a refund now. Both sets appeared to have been made from a really, really bad VHS tape.

Sounds like a bootleg to me bought bootleg dvds off ebay before such as Shield season 3 2 months before it was officially released. A telltale sign is it being shipped from overseas, Australia, China, because there copyright laws arent enforced. I hope you watched the show before sending it back for a refund! Also if the seller gives you a problem whatsoever just threaten them since there account will be suspended by ebay.

Guest c4evap

Actually, they were both shipped from within the US...and (I'm ashamed to say) I did threaten both of them with a "bootleg" report to Ebay (which I didn't do). Unfortunately, it's the only way to get a refund.

Actually, they were both shipped from within the US...and (I'm ashamed to say) I did threaten both of them with a "bootleg" report to Ebay (which I didn't do). Unfortunately, it's the only way to get a refund.

Nothing wrong with that! spun there head around real quick didnt it! Besides that as a paying consumer you should always get what you pay for. People such as yourself help keep the film industry alive whether there buying out of date tv shows it doesnt matter. There's no freakin way the industry would release VHS rips on dvd........ Im glad your money was refunded, kinda sucks that you had to threaten. Oh well I just bought Space above and beyond and was very pleased used on ebay for 31 dollars. Lots of great deals on ebay and also bootleg stuff so one must be careful.

Guest c4evap

Well, refund or not I still feel bad. I don't even like pretending to be a rat. It just not in my nature.

Anyway, most of the stuff I've gotten off Ebay has been "Oh-fissial" stuff (thank gawd). :cyclops:

I just can't seem to understand how anyone can sell bootlegs that freakin' bad?!? Hell, I've only been encoding since I joined this forum and I turn out some really nice DVDs (for personal use only you understand ;) ).

c4 :thinking:

Well, refund or not I still feel bad. I don't even like pretending to be a rat. It just not in my nature.

Anyway, most of the stuff I've gotten off Ebay has been "Oh-fissial" stuff (thank gawd). :cyclops:

I just can't seem to understand how anyone can sell bootlegs that freakin' bad?!? Hell, I've only been encoding since I joined this forum and I turn out some really nice DVDs (for personal use only you understand ;) ).

c4 :thinking:

The source was probably a VHS tape and the seller researched that it wasnt available on DVD so instant money making oppurtunity. The initial ebay response would be to remove the item even if you complained, so there not losing a thing. I imagine if you looked at there sales he/she probably made a few bucks anyway sands your return.

I just watched "sword and the sorcerer" on a dvd VHS rip and it really sucked, something is lost in the transition because the VHS original wasnt that bad. Ripping from a VHS just doesnt work out imho.

Be careful buying overseas, still even they know there ebay account can be suspended and they'll probably refund your money.

Guest c4evap

Oh, both M.A.N.T.I.S. & misfits Of Science were definately VHS rips. You know that color line that runs across your TV screen from (usually) top to bottom just after you start the VHS tape (before it settles down)? Both these sets had that. The MOS seller is giving me a refund but also wants to know what exactly I'm going to tell Ebay. I haven't answered him yet. Gonna let him stew. I'm not mad that the DVDs are bootleg. I'm mad at the quality. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

c4 B)