Class-Action against microsoft spyware

subspatial

According to the Seattle Times a second class-action lawsuit has been filed against Microsoft,

Stating that Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) amounts to spyware....

The story is here at the Seattle Times

Is this SPyware?

Has anyone seen or been affected by WGA?

I have irradicated the Sony Spyware from my system

(installed by Bought CD's)

but what about this new Microsux trojan?

Guest c4evap

The subject of WGA is also here (in the Computing & Electronics section):

http://forum.nitescifi.com/index.php?a=topic&t=8065

I updated my XP system a few weeks ago and thought I had bypassed the WGA bullcrap using a...er...technique I had previously used successfully. Turns out I didn't. On reboot I was greeted with a message that I was using a pirated copy of Windows XP (duh-lol).

I immediately "rolled-back" XP to a previous configuration ridding my unit of that gawd awful message.

c4 B)

Some people hate the idea of having a part of your OS 'call back' to Microsoft every bootup to doublecheck that your copy of Windows is authentic, and such a hidden over-the-network sort of communication can be exploited by viruses and trojans (hence, the class action suit, I figure.)

Also, the fact that this 'utility' is forced down users' throats, does things that aren't told to the end users, and is needed if one wants to keep updating their computer = coersion.

Who would HONESTLY be stupid enough to download such a pointless piece of software?

Oh yeah... the average Windows user.

The simple fact of the matter - a lot of people are always going to treat computers as something they don't need to know anything about... I know a girl (who I like) over the Internet (with a webcam) it took over AN HOUR to tell her how to rename a file, move it to the correct directory, extract and execute it (I'm confident I could have done it in... 2-3 minutes).

That was an illustration of how ignorant and unwilling to learn most computer users are.

The simple fact of the matter - a lot of people are always going to treat computers as something they don't need to know anything about...

Well, considering most people still don't know how to program a VCR, I am not surprised. Some people simply lack the aptitude for devices. A lot of people on this site are extremely knowledgeable, which is one of the reasons I keep coming back--to find out what's going on--because I am not very savvy at all, by comparison to some of the pros we have on here.

Rolling back XP to a former restore point only helps if you watch the next updates for the offending WGA upgrade or you get it again.

...and then it refuses to let you get further updates since you are using "counterfeit" software.

BUT... there are other ways to get around it. Google knows the ways....

Guest c4evap
Rolling back XP to a former restore point only helps if you watch the next updates for the offending WGA upgrade or you get it again.

...and then it refuses to let you get further updates since you are using "counterfeit" software.

BUT... there are other ways to get around it. Google knows the ways....

I'm not planning on updating my copy of XP anymore anyway. I don't use IE and I have a great firewall in place (not Window's) that works just fine.

If I should need to reload XP for any reason (crash, etc) I actually have a legal copy (I'd forgotten about it) that came with my laptop. That should do.

c4 B)

I know a girl (who I like) over the Internet (with a webcam) it took over AN HOUR to tell her how to rename a file, move it to the correct directory, extract and execute it (I'm confident I could have done it in... 2-3 minutes).

That was an illustration of how ignorant and unwilling to learn most computer users are.

Hey, I know that girl. Yeah, she doesn't like you so much anymore...

I know a girl (who I like) over the Internet (with a webcam) it took over AN HOUR to tell her how to rename a file, move it to the correct directory, extract and execute it (I'm confident I could have done it in... 2-3 minutes).

Hey, I know that girl. Yeah, she doesn't like you so much anymore...

ohoh someones in the doghouse :)

The simple fact of the matter - a lot of people are always going to treat computers as something they don't need to know anything about...

...... A lot of people on this site are extremely knowledgeable, which is one of the reasons I keep coming back--to find out what's going on--because I am not very savvy at all, by comparison to some of the pros we have on here.

here here ;)

and after reading C4's opther thread on this topic i am still wondering...

Should a Software company be allowed to do this sort of thing?

I mean it IS their software... and they have to protect their interests......

It's not the pont on whether they CAN do it but they aren't informing the non-tech savvy user that it is doing this.

If someone takes a picture of you in your house without your permission - it's spying (or voyeurism depending on the purpose of the pictures).

Consent is required.

The whole point of buying an Operating System is that it is yours.

This is just a way for them to keep check on illegal copies which bites legitimite users in the ass like throwing tear gas at a crowd of people to stop one thief - he may still get away and all you do is hurt the people who've done nothing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone takes a picture of you in your house without your permission - it's spying (or voyeurism depending on the purpose of the pictures).

Consent is required.

True!!!

The whole point of buying an Operating System is that it is yours.

But... I would think (in Co.'s eyes) that buying a piece of software lisences you to use it...

... not that it belongs to you. I mean the CD and the Box belong to you,

but you can't then re-use that software in any other way...

nerveuy8.png

Or

Someone with a genuine copy of windows could just download the free software and send it to everyone else

saves all the trouble of entering that stupid validation code every time :rolleyes:

Guest c4evap

Good idea! OK everyone. Send me a blank CD and return postage and I'll send you a copy of my legal Windows XP Home Edition. Is that legal? :cyclops:

c4 :p

hmm, I don't need to enter anything for MS genuine advantage software... I do have to say that it doesn't work with Opera (unless you install a few things, which I purposefully don't do, since that would put me at the same risks as IE users). So when I go to the MS website for stuff like that I use IE and it's all done automatically as far as I can tell.

Guest c4evap
I actually have a legal copy of windows - why should i then have to download this extra software and enter these validation codes all the time?

Because Billy Gates says so! So there!!!

billg.jpg

c4 :cyclops: