How wrong is it to use other people's wireless?

slug

If an opened door is an implicit invitation to enter' date=' maybe an unsecured network is an implicit invitation to log on? Anyways, I wouldn't advise Slug to be the test case for it.[/quote']

You're right, best not to advise such things. It could get both the 'adviser' and the 'tester' in trouble. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest c4evap
How wrong is it to use other people's wireless?' date=' I'm doing it right now[/quote']

How wrong is it? Degrees of wrong? It's wrong plain and simple. The question is...can you live with yourself knowing you're going straight to hell for this heinous act? :cyclops:

Alas' date=' "a fool and his money are often parted." --unknown[/quote']

Actually, the quote goes "A fool and his money are soon parted. It was said by"Thomas Tusser (1524-1580). English poet and farmer".

c4 :D

I set up a lot of office networks and frequently leave the internet connection available, I encrypt the network and limit leeching, but I like to leave it open to piggybackers, most of my customers are happy with this, hell one is running a cracked COD2 server :p they only use their connection to got email)

OK, I really want to know what sort of transfer limits are in place for UK satellite connections because I really can milk this connection at night and there would be absolutley no evidence of it.

The only problem is that I have this nagging fear that satellite connections might have really tight bandwidth limits designed to prevent anything but casual web browsing at faster than dialup speed, that I could actually exceed these people's limt even if I use their connection with some sense of moderation.

Does anyone know anything about this?

To be honest it would seem they are too clueless to suspect foulplay. I just want to know the extent to which I can use it without it being a problem

For instance, downloading stuff at night won't be a problem for them using their computers because they sleep at the times that people who have lives sleep. The porblem is if they are likely to have tight bandwidth. I'd say that i'd maybe used 3 quarters of 1 gig max, including browsing, in the last 3 weeks, but maybe their service is so tight that even that could actually represent a problem if I carry on.

This is why I'm interested in the specifics of satelite service bandwidth caps in the U.K. That said I don't mean to go on about this like some bumbling fool who worries about whether they are dutifuly watching television advertising and stuff like that, I just want to know what I can get away with.

It seems a significant case in that I am currently living right in the epicentre of nowhere, where it is something of a privelige to be getting broardband internet in the UK.

I seem to have just connected to the neighbours across the roads sky connection.

This is a nice way of getting around dialup countryside problems when back home with folks.

Actually, I suppose I don't really care if its wrong/ dodgy, if they notice I'll just say I had a wireless card in my computer, had tried to connect to the dialup, must have connected to their router by mistake.

I mean, they're really not gonna be that savvy if their network is completley unprotected.

If I want to do any serious downloading, I might do it in the dead of night, although I might sketch out doing that, they're unlikely to notice any drain just through websurfing.

I am thinking its a bad idea to bite the hand that is accidentally feeding you, I'm just wondering whether to heavily suck on it when its asleep.

There's sod all to dl at the monent anyway and I've got enough garbage to last a nuclear winter.

If your using it to upload/download get an assist program that can limit bandwith in both directions so they dont notice your cheap ass and for christs sake what if someone gets up at 3 am and wants to check there email? That's how your dumbass will get caught! However, you came to the right place and at least your asking instead of putting it into play ahead of time! That's how you play the game.

Goodluck trying to prosecute you for this unless your using there bandwith in a malicous manner, the arguement would be "unprotected network" and you'd probably win in court with a decent lawyer who would simply claim "my client thought the network was free" etc. etc.

nice job btw ive been thinking about robbing peoples wireless for along time now but havent got around to it yet(busy with other scams) since i live in a heavy residential area (burrough i think it's called)it would probably be very easy! but that's cool so your saying you have free internet 24/7? AWESOME

You should have access to the router presumably it is still set with the default username/password once inside you can find out the ISP and from their webpage be able to determine what packages are likely to be used, some ISP's have only unlimited and if its one of these then ya made dude ;)

I don't see how I access their router though.

When I go to 'my network places' there is nothing but my own shared folders (most of which I turned off, to minimise how obvious it might be that there was someone else on their network, although I'd happily share the multitude of entertainment on my computer with them, if it didn't make my activities obvious)

When I was living in a proper town with a proper router it always had the address for that at the bottom of network places, I don't recall ever doing anything to put it there.

There's nothing like that now, when I go into 'workgroup computers' it either just crashes explorer or only shows me. I suppose that would mean when it only shows me, theirs is off so I can do as I please.

With regards lawsuits I think thats something perculiarly American, they just don't seem to happen all the time like that here, as far as I can tell.

So, how do I get in their router? For reconnaissance purposes only, obviously.

This is funny as hell, im going to comp USA this weekend and buying all the goodies needed to become a wireless thief as well. The beauty of it is you cant be prosecuted for downloading/uploading copyrighted material. muhahahaha

I suppose, unless you get caught, then its like you're stealing stolen goods.

I dunno if pci cards generally get a stronger signal but I'm using a usb one with an extension lead, which is advantagous because I have to dangle it out of the window usuallly to get a strong enough signal. I usually have to conceal it in the curtains though, otherwise they might notice what I'm doing, living direcxtly opposite. I can hear them fumbling about in the garden right now. I'm not a kleptomaniac, because I always have an overriding fear of getting caught, but I get this constant kick out getting something for nothing, abusing loopholes in technology and people's ignorance.

Gaining access to a router is done via your browser look at your ip address assigned by the router (something like 192.168.0.20) then change the last figure to a 1 and enter this in your browser i.e. 192.168.0.1 this will access the router tell you the make and you should be able to access it easily. 99% of routers use either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 the user name will probably be admin (some dont even ask for that i.e. belkin) the password will probably be password. Anyone who has a router should change these default settings. Manuals are available for download from the manufacturers website and they would tell you the defaults for this also.

As mentioned already on another WiFi related thread there are several things you can do to prevent access to your router by unauthorised users:-

Change log on username and password (use something you will remember here as you will need to enter it often)

Limit devices that can be connected via MAC address

Connect using statically assigned IP addresses (useful for setting up port forwarding too if uPnP is unavailable for the ISP)

Use encryption any would deter people but WPA2 is the best (WPA is nearly as good and more available...note if you use linux you might find that WEP will be a lot easier to set up) remember tho that a combination of upper and lower case letters along with numbers and symbols is a lot lot safer than just letters.

if you do all the steps outlined above then you will be free from people accessing your router and also would have a very strong legal case should you find that someone has hacked your security.

An unsecured router is easy to access and completely control this has been done to keep people offline just changing the access password and blocking any IP addresses renders the router useless and even using direct cable connection cant be done without the password.

Ahah, I got to 192.168.1.1 where it asks you for a password and it wouldn't accept admin/nothing combined with password. I'm guessing its linksys, as they use the same i.p. address and ask for a password, also the majority of routers in the UK are linksys or Belkin.

So, either they have a password protected router and an unprotected network, which would be pretty stupid, or I need to find out what the default terms for entering Linksys routers are.

some people use the default SSID too which would be the make of the router so far as i know Belkin doesnt ask for the name and only the password also netgear are common in the uk (i have one) but its 192.168.0.1 some belkin have no password at all have you tried this? if it is linksys tends to have admin for the password ;)

so try:-

press enter

type admin

type password

if these fail pm me ;)

Hey slug i forgot to ask you what equipment im going to need, also what's the best antenna or device i can use for grabbing a signal. There's alot of do gooders at niteshadow and they probably dont approve of your actions. I on the other hand am not part of this group, stealings fun! the main rule is to not get caught and if you are caught deny, deny, deny and if they keep pushing Lawyer up. You know what would be hilarious if your connection slowed down a lil and you yelled out the window "wtf im trying to check my email is there anyway you clowns can hurry the fuck up with whatever your doing on the web" & then Jesus im trying to run a business over here

There's alot of do gooders at niteshadow and they probably dont approve of your actions. I on the other hand am not part of this group' date=' stealings fun! the main rule is to not get caught and if you are caught deny, deny, deny and if they keep pushing Lawyer up.[/quote']

quark.jpg