STAR TREK XI

Antipodean

Looks Like 'Star Trek XI' Baddie Has Been Cast

By MICHAEL HINMAN

Sep-28-2007

This story contains potential MODERATE SPOILERS for the upcoming "Star Trek XI" film.

So, who is going to be the villain in the upcoming "Star Trek XI" movie? If you said "Russell Crowe," then think again.

Fresh off its scoop yesterday that J.J. Abrams was looking to cast "Cloverfield" actor Mike Vogel as Capt. James T. Kirk, IESB is at it again ... this time with a report on who will be the foe of the USS Enterprise and its valiant, younger crew.

It seems that New Zealand actor Karl Urban is in line to take on the role of the very Romulan, very bad guy in the eleventh Trek film.

"A while back, Moriarty over at AICN talked about Romulans messing with the timeline in Abrams' Trek universe," said IESB's Robert Sanchez. "From the story details we heard today, he is right."

Apparently the Romulans are looking to destroy Earth in the past as a way to mess up the overall timeline, and are mildly successful creating what could be best described as an alternate timeline, according to reports.

New details about the film's storyline seems to explain why the casting of Zachary Quinto as Spock took on more of an importance than the casting of Kirk, and why Leonard Nimoy is definitely a part of the film while William Shatner is not. IESB says that the Spock portrayed by Nimoy will work with the Quinto's Spock to try and stop the Romulan plan, and their battle against the Romulan baddie makes them the overall focus of the movie, not Kirk.

SyFy Portal

Lol, there we go again... Time travel.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

time travel sells. it's scifi that most people can understand...sort of.

Just thinking of what time travel films have done well at the box office, the main 2 that stick out are

Back to the future 1,2 & 3 (loved the films)

and Star Trek the Voyage home.

My main thought about this is it was all well and good the old Trek crew doing this as The Voyage Home was very well made, but its sucess was mainly down to the crew inter-action with modern day earth people, and the banter between the crew, Back To The Future also had a sense of fun. 

I seriously doubt that with a new set of actors they will be able to pull this off!

No Shatner is a mistake. If i were in charge of production I`m not sure I could live with the shame of not casting Bill. Does everyone think he will be alive forever? In only a few years time hes going to be totally useless for film as he will be too old....he might even be........dare I say dead.

It was indeed a fitting tribute to see in Scotty in Generations.....please Paramount do something about this.

It sounds like First Contact... I hope I'm wrong. :-\

Perhaps, but the story would still be very different. In First Contact, we had much of the story on Enterprise, as they fought the Borg. I can't really see somthing like that happening with the Romulans.

I realise the Romulans were used in ST X, but this sounds really interesting.

in the old DC comic ST , there was a storyline involving time tampering that removed the Romulans entirely and had humans and Klingons getting along peacefully much sooner than normal. Kirk and his crew had to change things back as several Romulans from the original time line still existed.

It sounds utterly daft but quite possibly fun.

Remember they've painted themselves into a corner with Shat, seeing as he is now 13 years older than when his character died, except he could quite easily be written in to an alternative storyline.

'He Must have found a way. If it was that important he must have found a way.'

OR perhaps simply to Sybok:

'Let me do something.'

That's a thought, what about the return of Sybok, V'ger, combined with the superevolved Tom Paris, the oil slick that killed Tasha Yar and a starring role for Travis Mayweather all set on the planet from 'Spock's Brain.'

• 2 weeks later...

Abrams can go f##k himself.. it's not even out and I hate the whole movie already.. it's pissing over everything, in favour of the mass viewer... I hope it bombs (which it won't... it'll probably be the biggest money spinner).

Simon Pegg as Scotty. WTF?... Doohan got away with the accent because he was Canadian, but Pegg is going to do an imitation (parody) of Doohan's voice which is an insult.

No real Trek anymore... EVER.. just s##t like this.

Star Trek was aimed at people like US and the general populace hated it...does that not absolutely illustrate that in general WE have different values, tastes and requirements than the general viewer?..but now that Trek is gong to become this generic, homoginised, action product aimed at the general viewer does that also not say that we will probably be disgusted by it?

My vision of what Trek should be, is DEFINATELY not compatible with the audience who up to now have hated Trek, and if they like these "new adventures" then that pretty much proves that I'm going to hate it.

I've been worried this movie would be a load of time crap for more than two years.  As promised, I will throw feces at the movie screen!

The dude's name is actually Erik Jendresen.  You'll find some credits on IMdB, probably also with author search on Amazon books.  He still seems like a nobody.

You can't trust Berman, Braga, &c. to do anything right.  Even picking a writer.  I hope they don't let Jonathan Frakes direct again.

Furthermore, I am sick of time travel on Trek.  After all the pointless eps of Voyager & Enterprise where something happens in an alternate timeline which is eventually averted thus saving "our" timeline, I will throw feces at the movie screen like a goddamn ape if I have to deal with that in the next movie.  Three sucky movies in a row is beyond the pale.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, this actually sounds very interesting, though it looks a bit like a rip-off from the star trek pocket 'Imzadi' which has a very very similar storyline.

As for Harlan, hehehe, serves them movie guys guys right, being kicked in the butt by those stupid and hellish copyright laws that some bunch of even more stupid representatives ever voted into existence.

The guy should have kept quiet until they used his stuff and then bent them over a table and raped them for the money.

Now they'll probably just change it all VERY SLIGHTLY and go "Let's use the Security Chief of Perpetuity!" Or just... anything, it's easier to time travel in the Star Trek universe than it is to make a jam sandwich.

I couldn't be less enthused though. Time travel AND boldly going backwards...

• 2 months later...

Yikes. If they bring back Daniels that would be quite something.

'Hey, where's my pal Archer?'

Time travel is so easy to do in star trek. They really don't have to use the guardian of forever. I hope the writer for 'city' does something about that because it just doesn't make sense for Hollywood to milk the writers and leave them with nothing.

All they have to do is invent some new time travel plot device. It would put something original, creative and new in the new trek movie for a change.

Assuming the spoilers are accurate, part one of "Of Gods and Men", the (too) ambitious fan film directed by Tim Russ, has exactly the same plot. Get yourself a throwaway E-Mail address and watch part one, it's hilarious. They casually blow up Vulcan for instance …