New Chat Window

The Forum now has as chat window in a frame at the bottom of the page. If you are logged in, then the chat window will default to using your username as the nickname. If you need to log in, click on the "IRC CHAT" button under the logo to reload the chat window with your username.

Let me know if the chat window is abnoxious for anyone. I'd like to make it the default, but have an option to turn it off as well (that's not possible right now).

Let me know if the chat window is abnoxious for anyone. I'd like to make it the default' date=' but have an option to turn it off as well (that's not possible right now).[/quote']

Please give us the choice to turn it off... I go to the forums tonight, and my browser hangs as it loads Java, and then gives me a security warning. While its a good idea, I think users should be presented with a choice when they first go to the forums to decide if they want it or not... just my two cents

I don't think its a good idea to have it on the same page as the forum.

There is a link in the top already. Make a global announcement post, to let everyone know about it, and I think that should be sufficient. Those who are interested will join on their own, those who aren't will just be annoyed by the frame.

Yea, bad idea. A link at the top of the forums is what's preferred. This extra frame is just making normal forum use a hassel. Apon first visiting the forum the average user will have to wait for it to load Java, then decline it so it doesn't load the applet, and then they still have the window at the bottom (which yea it can be resized but still). Atm I turned off Java for nitescifi.com since I use normal mIRC

Yea' date=' bad idea. A link at the top of the forums is what's preferred. [/quote']

Agreed.

It would work better as an option, rather than the mandatory frame there on the bottom page, imposed on all forum users... this way folk can go with what suits them best.

You have to accept the security dialog or the chat applet cannot load.

I'll change it so that you have to click on "IRC CHAT" to show the chat window, though I would like the option to be more obvious. The idea is to allow people that are online at the same time to chat about the same topics they may be posting about.

Maybe it is possible to set a 'tick-box' in the settings (euh, your controls) page so that people can select whether or not they want it to auto-load?

Just a thought... :)

That would mean editing the forum software, making it very difficult to upgrade. I'm thinking of a few ideas.