Laptop's acting weird...

meateater

I'm actually encountering two problems. First, it informs me of a runtime error and my explorer shuts off. Laptop's still on, but my system tray gets all screwed up. This doesn't seem to have much of an impact. I'm more annoyed than worried. The second one is more serious; it actually reboots itself. I never get a good glimpse of the error message, but this has only been happening after I used the Windows updater-thingee (and only once!). Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

Guest Mrthumps

You've run all your virus and spyware checks correct?

If it's not that then when I usually hear about this it's just about the time before the persons hard drive completely dies on them.

Not saying this is exactly what's happening with you but it does sound like a symptom.

Also could be the RAM going bad or an overheating issue. To test the HDD you could enableS.M.A.R.T.

and install this free tool HDD Health, which will monitor your HDD. Keep in mind that its predictions wont be accurrate unless you run it for a while, but of get a lot of reallocation events or similar errors you can safely assume that the HDD is going bad. To test the memory you can use memtest86+. hope that helps

Whenever something's acting weird, the first things I check for are viruses and spywares. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Man, lousy piece of crap. Damn thing's barely 2 years old. Thanks, and I'll try both of your suggestions. I hate it when things die on me.

I'm amazed by the amount of people that don't make the distinction between their computer's components failing and the possibility that the only problem is with their operating system which is nothing but data.

If one of the problems you've had is with the computer rebooting itself and this happened after you made a change to your operating system then maybe all you need to do is system restore or reinstall windows. I had a similar problem and I reinstalled windows and my computer was fine.

Come to think of it, I reinstalled windows on my other hard drive and the one I'd been using did in fact suffer a catastrophic breakdown shortly afterwards.

BUT THIS ONLY MEANS YOU NEED A NEW HARD DRIVE. Its also amazing the number of people who will ditch their laptop because one component has failed. If your laptop has been on a long time in the past two years, downloading overnight in particular, it is concieveable that this has worn the hard drive out, because laptop hard drives are known not to have much endurance.

Laptop harddrives do vary amongst themselves, so if this is the case make sure you get the right kind.

lol start right click my computer click manage look in event viewer system may tell you in there

otherwise........

try everything including system restore if nothing works..............

then do a systen recovery bill gates has screwed you

put your winxp disc in the cd, restart , boot from cd, choose repair console

pick your o/s usually 1

press enter for password (unless you put one in)

type chkdsk /r <- theres a space between chkdsk and /r

it takes about 30 mins to check and repair systen files

your are not the first person to get this happen we've had a few that have gone wrong after an update