SG-1 Cancelled, Atlantis gets 4th season :(

Mav

The thing is, Sci-Fi Channel is behaving a bit irrationally. If ratings are down this season, why don't they fix the most logical explanation for this: SG-1's move from 8pm to 9pm? I'm sure there are a lot of kids whose parents make them go to bed at that time. Atlantis has always aired after 9 so obviously that show isn't going to be as affected by a move to 10pm. But no, ratings are coincidentally down for 5 episodes after the change in schedule and Bam! They slam the doors on a show that has been popular for 9 full seasons?

Idiots!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stargate ending or being ended at season 10 is no real surprise. In the last few years a lot of popular long running shows called it quits after a decade. Most were comedies that ran dry on stories and plot. The actors were bored. Could the SG1 actors, whom we love so much, just be tired of jumping through a round gate every week? They still have a fan base and they can still make money from conventions without having a hectic work schedule again until they feel like it. Maybe Amanda wants time with her baby? It could be ratings or it could be so many other things.

I've enjoyed the ride ever since Showtime started the series. I'll miss it but I'll live and find other things to enjoy. I'll always have the memories.

Hmm... Take a look at this article from Multichannel:

MGM Won’t Close Stargate Door

8/23/2006 6:07:00 PM

Fans of Stargate SG-1 have good reason to hope the longest-running science-fiction series in TV history will survive despite being canceled by Sci Fi Channel.

A spokesman for producer Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer said the series -- which will leave Sci Fi’s air at the conclusion of its 10th season next year -- will live on in some capacity.

“We don’t look at Stargate SG-1 as a TV show, but a franchise. It is our intention to vigorously find a find way to extend the franchise,†said spokesman Jeff Pryor, who noted that MGM was evaluating other potential distribution outlets. â€ÂÂWe want to move forward, but no negotiations have taken place†at this time, he added.

Fan site GateWorld (www.gateworld.net) published an interview with executive producer Robert C. Cooper in which he said, “As far as the future, I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed. What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how.â€ÂÂ

Ratings for the show -- the 200th episode of which premiered Aug. 18 -- have been declining this season, but Mark Stern, executive vice president of original programming for Sci Fi, said creative and economic decisions also came into play.

Stern added that under terms of its contract, the network’s decision to cancel the series prohibits MGM from making any new episodes of the show to air on U.S. television.

He noted, “If MGM came to us for less,†Sci Fi would be interested in more Stargate SG-1 fare, whether in the form of episodes, movies or miniseries. He would not disclose the network’s license fee to MGM.

Currently in the midst of the first half of its 10th season, Stargate SG-1 will complete its original run on Sci Fi next year, when the service plans to run the final 10 installments of this season. Stern said encore episodes of Stargate SG-1 will also continue to air on the network past the conclusion of its 10th campaign.

The show also airs in syndication, and Sci Fi ordered a fourth season of spinoff Stargate Atlantis (www.multichannel.com/article/CA6364600.html).

Multichannel

So, apparently, the problem is money... Sci Fi wants MGM to reduce SG-1's license fee in order to keep the show. That's why all this bs then. I mean, not renewing the show shortly after the 200th episode and so on. I hope they settle the issue and bring back SG-1 (or something else) quickly.

So it seems... The question now is, was MGM stupid enough to accept those terms by which Sci Fi's decision to cancel SG-1 prohibits them from making any new episodes to air elsewhere on US television?

If so, MGM would only be able to continue SG-1 under that name outside the US. Maybe that's why Cooper said in that article from GateWorld "SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

Longest running Sci-Fi series? Have they heard of a little show called Doctor Who?

To be honest, I wish they'd just put SG-1 out it's wretched excuse for an existence and be done with it.

If they want to continue it in some other way shape or form, that would be fine but I think SG-1 has had its day.

EDIT: This is probably a joke, but who knows?

The same can be said of the Sci Fi Channel... Take a look:

SCI FI Channel to Change Name to SurgeTV

Effective November 1, 2006, the SCI FI Channel will change their name to SurgeTV, to reflect the changing demographic thrust of the successful long-running cable channel. In addition, deals are currently working out to bring back ECW for a three-times a week run in prime time, as well as reruns (Pre-WWE) of professional wrestling events.

PRWEB - August 24, 2006 -- Effective November 1, 2006, the SCI FI Channel will change their name to SurgeTV, to reflect the changing demographic thrust of the successful long-running cable channel. In addition, deals are currently working out to bring back ECW for a three-times a week run in prime time, as well as reruns (Pre-WWE) of professional wrestling events.

SurgeTV hopes to tap into the newfound audience of science fiction wrestling fans, by promoting cross-over programming, including Eureka's Colin Ferguson's guest appearance in the ECW ring, and Season 2 of Stan Lee's Who Wants To Be A Superhero to include ring matches between competitors. Saucier, racier stories will be aired after the midnight hour, and in a change for the popular channel, may include R-rated material.

While much of the original programming the SCI FI Channel has produced will remain on air through the next year, SurgeTV expects sweeping changes to the network, shifting away from the so-called "nerd" demographic. This means that SurgeTV will try to appeal to it's growing number of "extreme" viewers by removing all of it's current re-run programming and replacing it with a new "brand" - Xtreme Surge At Night. Effective November 1, 2006, SurgeTV will begin broadcasting reruns of Hogan Knows Best and original WWE programming. Filling out the early morning hours will be the ground-breaking American (English language channel) debut of Lucha Libre sporting events.

SurgeTV will continue publishing Sci Fi magazine, which will remain uneffected by the format changes taking place on air.

SurgeTV is a television network where extreme action can be found. SurgeTV fuels the adrenaline of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic wrestling programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SurgeTV is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

PRWeb

Now the s#@* hit the fan! I don't know if I should laugh or cry... :rolleyes:

I fully agree with the posters here...SG1 is an amazing show and it bites to have it end this way...i mean it took them 8 years with the Gould, about 5 years with the replicators and only a mere 2 years with the biggest threat ever; the ori...jus doesn't seem fair.

I mean had they really wanted to end SG1 should have been HUGE,,,like said previously,,, at the end of season 8 or something with a massive all out fight w/anubis and the end of the Gould.....essentially the end of the essence of stargate [u kno wa i mean?]

but ye...i hope that someone decides to renew SG1...in the meantime SGA all the way....

MODERATION NOTE: 2 posts have been edited to censor swearing more effectivly - if you need to swear at all you should either let the word filters edit them for you or try to censor your words so it's not so obvious - this is a family friendly site and foul language of any kind is not allowed

ALSO - Kuvamakh - you made the same post 3 times - I have removed the other 2 but if this happens you can click delete on your posts to remove them

So basically the word from MGM is that they're being held to ransom for the license fee of Stargate which isn't surprising

The main hitch of long-running shows is that the key actors can hold out for more the deeper into the show they get. Not that they don't deserve it but it would explain why most of the cast was replaced with season 9 starting and introduction of new faces (Bridges, Doig, Browder, Black). Either the budget makes a cut (which might affect the production ala Enterprise) or they find someone who'll pick up the tab.

Nice Romulan pic - took me a moment to realise where it was from.

Well, two things I noticed.

I was quite surprised that Claudia Black actually talks with that accent in real life.

The 'old timers' seem to have more faith in the continuation of SG-1, one way or the other... Not sure what that means, it was just an observation. :)

Nice vid. :)