How should SG-1 "end"?

Mav

Personally, I think since they have to go out with this season, go out with a bang, of personal preportions. Not just some huge space fight or mega sun explosions.

I think the people of Earth need to be made aware. All 7 billion humans on Earth need to know just how far we've gone in 11 years (counting the 1 year gap between the movie and season 1). How much we've learned, grown. New medicines to help the sick, new technology to help save lives.

Storyline wise, I got a rough idea. The Ori do something that is basically an all out attack on Earth. Something so big and massive that the SGC and gang cannot just contain the secret so they come out and tell the world. They could show clips of how the public is reacting over the course of a week or so. Then make the Ori threat on Earth even MORE imminent and quickened. Like suddenly they've sped up their attack plans or something. The catch? Carter or whoever comes up with a defense or counter attack BUT it puts Earth in jeopardy. We're talking an outcome Earth seriously might not survive.

Somehow word leaks out to the public of the SGC's plan and the public, some of them, aren't happy. They don't want the entire world to be destroyed on some off chance we might defeat the Ori. The minority outcry makes the world's governments and SGC reconsider what to do. Then cut again to the media, as they say how their getting massive amounts of letters, calls, emails etc from all over the world from every day average people telling the SGC to fight back, defend our home, save humanity.....

And of course the SGC would pwn the Ori, Earth is saved and now all of humanity knows life outside our solar system exists, we aren't alone. And they have alot of catching up to do ;)

What do you think? Should some huge battle take place? Should Daniel pull some lost historical reference out of a book somewhere to find the answers? Does O'Neill ever get to name a ship Enterprise?

I liked the ideas you described, but I'd change a few things.

I'd make the person who comes up with 'the plan', a person who had no idea about the Stargate program before. It would help ephasise the importance of the world knowing 'the truth'.

I'd end it with a blast, nice battle or something like that. But the final episode would be a 'slow' episode, showing some of the impact 'the new truth' has had on the Earth people and maybe even a hint towards the start of an entirely new series...

(whishfull thinking maybe)

:)

yeah i agree, TetsuoShima - A battle at the start perhaps - and then the rest is slowed down - maybe it ends with SG-1 going through the Stargate on a new mission to a new planet or somthing (so we get the idea that although SG-1 has finished - they are still out saving the world)

The whole discussion is pointless because SG1 is not ending, just in the process of moving to another channel. What is gauranteed is that the last episode of season 10 will be a cliffhanger the likes of which we have never seen. This would be necessary to entice viewers to move to the new channel. So let us be patient and not wish/daydream SG1 into oblivion.

The whole discussion is pointless because SG1 is not ending' date=' just in the process of moving to another channel. What is gauranteed is that the last episode of season 10 will be a cliffhanger the likes of which we have never seen. This would be necessary to entice viewers to move to the new channel. So let us be patient and not wish/daydream SG1 into oblivion.[/quote']

I like the way you think ;)

Personally with all the security leaks and public exposure they've had over the last ten years it's surprising it hasn't come to public knowledge.

We've seen in the episode "2010" that we can handle being only a small part of a larger galaxy of cultures so why not have a reveal-all?

Personally I love the idea of having the battle on our doorstep (not the back door like over Antartica but the front door) with the Ori followers battling on our streets instead of some far off world where they conveniently know about other worlds and space travel. It would certanly give more reason for the SGC to be more compliant with their international representatives instead of pushing them around because they aren't military.

I'd like to see the battle for Earth with the Free Jaffa Nation helping out. That would be quite a turnaround for them to be helping us when at the beginning they could've wiped us out.

I think Daniel should actually get to ascend on his own and thus free him of the binding rules of the others and basically wipe the floor with the Ori-human hybrid. He could either stick with it and become the guardian of this galaxy or recind it because he understands why he can't keep it or they ccould just leave it up in the air and he can go off exploring the universe (and basically try and keep it real/natural so he doesn't go all 'Ori' on us).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I imagine the SGC will manage to get its hands on that Ancient destroy weapon. Wipeout the Ori, all the Priors lose their powers and then everyone just pushes them over with sticks. Hooray.

I've low expectations for the end, really. I mean, they've probably already filmed it - so I will be pleasantly surprised if they actually have some kind of arc to finish off the show. I imagine we might get a two parter.

I've seen season 9 of SG-1 - i don't think it was bad - they wanted to continue the show and they did it the best way they could - introduced a new enemy and new characters - i thought it was great - a show doesn't have to stay the same

It could have been made into an interesting critique of religious influence, I've heard that the whole thing is an obvious influence of Islamic concerns, watching it I just didn't feel that, it just doesn't seem topical. Stargate has also failed to make new lead characters that don't resemble O'niell, its not like Browder and the Atlantis guy aren't reasonably likeable, its just been done before, its like the way cartoons can't escape the Homer Simpson archetype.

They need some kind of real smatass as the lead instead, without him being too like Mackay, whose by far one of the best characters the franchise has created, I'm not sure Atlantis would be watchable without him.

I dunno, maybe they should model their next lead character on Blackadder.

Mackay is easily the best character in Atlantis and I think he manages to steal pretty much all his scenes...

The smartass stereotype does seem to be the stargate's franchise problem. Read the dialogue for O'Neill, Shepard or Mitchell... I doubt you could tell the difference, probably because they're all EXACTLY the same.

SG-1 tried to have its cake and eat it. It tried to change the bad guys and its lead but NOT change them. As far as I'm concerned, it's failed utterly. It's treading water and like an elderly relative, it's good to see it taken out back to get shot rather than to continue on in a state of embarassment to itself and everyone else.

I think Mackay worked so well because he was pre-established, otherwise he might have seemed forced and generic as the uptight cowardly narcisistic scientist, that and the great performance. They have also been sucessful in avoiding overusing him or softening him up too much. He's pretty much Stargate's Miles O'brien. (as in well transferred, not as in Irish everyman)