Internet Gambling Outlawed by US

Tenebrae

And not as I do.

To be honest, this little bill seems to have a lot less to do with concerns over gambling and a lot more with the United States protectionism.

It's no secret that most of the big names in online gambling were from Europe, whereas the heart of the American gambling industry focuses in on Vegas.

Yet further evidence of the hypocritical preaching of free trade while ensuring the home market is nice and protected. Obviously, every country does it to an extent but such a shameless rule change seems not only to be shamelessly protectionist but also counter to the free and inclusive nature of the Internet.

This isn't American bashing - merely further disdain for the way the US legislature seems to function... on the bright side, I didn't have any investments in any online gambling companies. Which is good.

Guest Mrthumps

Got a link to reference this bill/info by chance?

As well, Online gambling is very VERY unpopular in the US these days with so many people(teenages according to the media) being addicted to it and the soccer moms getting all up in arms over the "evil internet".

It's just more of the case of the USA trying to gain full control of the internet.

I'm confident you can type things into google as well as I.

I'm equally confident that this had a lot less to do with moral outrage and a lot more to do with American financial interests but I suppose it's academic.

I hear that prohibition worked well though and that's also on the way back in.

Guest Mrthumps

My my, heaven forbid you spend that 5 seconds to copy a paste a url over.

A link to the actual story you are referencing would be nice because, despite your claims, it does appear that you're doing nothing more than looking for a reason to do some "America Bashing" especially given your response to me.

I agree that it is allways better to place a link.

I do know that I read something about this somewhere too though. I bet it was on Arstechnica, but I can't be sure. Anyway, what I read wasn't about internet gambling. It was about cross stateline gambling (of course also mostly on the internet, but not solely and not all internet gambling either). Which is clearly only usefull to stop negative cashflow draining the US. Since a lot of European Sites were very popular. I believe they actually stated that as a reason for the law in some of the discussions. I wanted to post it at the time, but I thought, ah what the heck, enough nonsense, it isn't my business...

As for a link, well, it's been so long... :thinking:

Guest Mrthumps

Thanks for the link but too need for you to be an utter asshat over it.

and from reading over said article, yes, it does appear that the American's are just going overboard on stuff again.

Like I said before, they want to control and rule the internet so this action that their government isn't and shouldn't be surprising.