Terminator TV series, without Terminator.

slug

The_Sarah_Connor_Chronicles

There are links to news articles at the bottom of the page provided.

The first I heard about this was in this month's SFX, but it seems the idea has been in the works for over a year. The magazine article suggests that the show would overlook the events of the third film, whereas the web sources suggest that it will bridge the gap between the second and third films and pave the way for a fourth.

This would heavily limit what the contents of any TV series could be, with a requirment that the Sarah Connor character be killed off. It goes without saying that the characters will be recast, or maybe they could get the old John Connor out of rehab.

Its quite difficult to see how a TV series could be sustained in this limiting continuity, what can it actually be about? It would seem that it would have to be primarily action/drama, rather than any heavy scifi elements, I suppose they could weave the development of Skynet in somehow. Without the sort of liberties taken in Smallville, its difficult to see what the show can actually achieve. Another interesting question is whether or not it will be set in the appropriate timeframe, as in late nineties or whenever, almost every example of projects like this see the timeframe retconned into the present day.

Overall it seems a bit dubious, there is far better material for TV shows outthere. Wouldn't a Terminator TV series be better set around actual war with Terminators? Battlestar Galactica has shown what can be done with CGI robots on even a modest cable budget, imagine what could be achieved on a big network project with a guarenteed big audience. Or a Matrix TV series? that would have huge potential, could be set in a number of different timeframes and contain fascinating ideas, I think its quite possible that we'll see a Matrix TV series oneday, unless the franchise is not based on stable ownership.

I heard that it was going to be set between 2+3...

Personally, I'd have thought that a series set between 3+4 would have been better. Then you could have had robots getting tossed in and that would have been cool.

It seems almost inevitable that the show is going to have to have bindy bendy continuity as regards 2+3 and dobutless a bunch of stuff that no one mentioned (as in, lots of robots coming back to do some murderin'). Although, one might argue that - like Dr. Who - that continuity isn't a big issue, as time travel can change everything but then, it would be silly to just contradict the 2nd or 3rd film.

SNIPPET:

Overall it seems a bit dubious' date=' there is far better material for TV shows outthere. Wouldn't a Terminator TV series be better set around actual war with Terminators? Battlestar Galactica has shown what can be done with CGI robots on even a modest cable budget, imagine what could be achieved on a big network project with a guarenteed big audience. Or a Matrix TV series? that would have huge potential, could be set in a number of different timeframes and contain fascinating ideas, I think its quite possible that we'll see a Matrix TV series oneday, unless the franchise is not based on stable ownership.[/quote']

All fine ideas for sure but I'm waiting for Crusader Rabbit, updated for the 21st century! ;)

c4 B)