Why we like sci-fi

ZaphodiLe

i loved an empty child 'I want my Mummy' is one of the spookiest phrases ever issued in dr who history imo.

My dad likes scifi, it is something my dad and i used to share when i was younger. so one thing i took away from the old man was a sense of sci fi which i appreciate every day :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom was really into astrology, and so was I for a while, but thanks to a science teacher I had several years ago, I realized that the L in astrology stands for "lie", and my mother was incredibly gullible. But so was I, for those first few years.

Anyway, I still couldn't forget my incredible fixation on the stars and the night sky, which led me to appreciate astronomy, which led me to space colonization, which led me to books, games, and shows about people in space(or on planets in a galaxy far, far away).

The rest is history.

Science fiction, even about people on Earth, is so much more entertaining than the everyday drama about people in this time. I live unrequited love in high school, I don't need to watch it happen to some girl who is ten times as attractive as me with a character much more interesting than I could ever hope to be. It's depressing! Now, unrequited love while under alien attack in a military academy orbiting the earth . . . that's something I can relate to while simultaneously being hypnotized by the setting.

And SciFi gives you so many more options while sticking with your favorite characters!

Guy fighting racism = Okay.

Science experiment = Great!

Guy fighting racism one day as a black man, before jumping bodies into a woman in the fifties to combat whatever the conflict is that episode, because of a future science experiment that isn't as easy to control as it should be, and making it feel REAL = Priceless.

Guy fighting racism one day as a black man, before jumping bodies into a woman in the fifties to combat whatever the conflict is that episode, because of a future science experiment that isn't as easy to control as it should be, and making it feel REAL = Priceless.

what could she be talking about ???

Quantum Leap maybe?

rara_avis_1.gif.2714862d4262c666927a53f407255c9a.gif

Well, that's what it started as, but then I started spinning it into something weird. I sometimes forget what I was thinking about when I started the post.

Not something you should do when writing science fiction. Or any fiction, for that matter.

Quantum Leap maybe?

shhhh, let him figure it out on his own.....

Science fiction to me is the ultimate medium for telling stories. It has almost no framework to limit the possibilities. The potential for creativity is endless. Also, science fiction have a tradition of philosophic delving and social commentary that you have to respect.

The most respected literature is the contemporary or historical kind that explores humanity in various ways. Often through fanciful prose or complicated similes. Which is why I'm puzzled as to why science fiction is regarded as "nerdy" or silly. Much of the more serious, hard science fiction does just that, it analyzed and explores humnanity, only from a different perspective.

The most respected literature is the contemporary or historical kind that explores humanity in various ways. Often through fanciful prose or complicated similes. Which is why I'm puzzled as to why science fiction is regarded as "nerdy" or silly. Much of the more serious, hard science fiction does just that, it analyzed and explores humnanity, only from a different perspective.

Science fiction is considered nerdy because most people don't want to analyze and explore humanity from a different perspective. Non-nerds want to win the football game or get the pretty blond girl and watch the newest chick flick. Non-nerds don't use words like "contemporary", "fanciful" "prose", "complicated", "similies", or "perspective".

And that is why I am proud to be a nerd.

I'll take an Asimov reader over a "really hot ass" any day of the week, and twice on Saturday nights.

ahh, you give me hope for the future generations of humankind... or whatever comes next.

Don't get your hopes up. I go to a California public high school that has a day care . . . that's right, a day care run by the school for students only.

Let that sink in for a minute.

And I can't even find a boyfriend.

I need to resurrect Darwin for the sake of analyzing how "survival of the fittest" works in high school breeding.

I never mentioned those others of whom you speak as giving me hope. I said, you do.

There are always those which follow a different path. Not all realize that they can choose.

on the other hand and back to your comment...

50 years ago, it was common for what we call school-age women to have children, of course, they were married at 14 or 15. in other areas of our world, it is still common, today. goddess knows why she lets it continue.  ::) children having children does not result in a better life for either. also, in humans anyway, having children early can cause reproductive problems for the mother later...

But I've always had the sneaking suspicion I'm going to die young . . . and I can't change all of them . . . me giving you hope is TOO MUCH PRESSURE. *insanity laughs, under pressure I'm cracking*

Everything you say is true, but it doesn't explain why most of these young breeders do not seem as if their genes would benefit mankind.

Also, I should really make an Off-Topic Thread, before this one starts to read like a Faulkner novel.

(Note: Tierkreis hates Stream-Of-Consciousness writing above all else in the world forever and always. She likes it in shows[scrubs], music[REM's The End Of The World As We Know It], and even forums, but in books it is simply unbearable to her. THE MORE YOU KNOW!)

damn try to get my head round round age when it comes to relativity :-/ if i travel thru time for 100 years and return to now plus a few minutes what age am i? my age now+ a few mins or my age +100 years. gonna sit in a corner and let my 100 year old head explode lol

But I've always had the sneaking suspicion I'm going to die young . . .

On December 21st. 2012 (sadly) you'll have plenty of company.

*sigh* All right, which impending apocalypse do I have to avoid this time?

I've heard of this, but I've never actually seen any logic behind it, and I'm something of a skeptic.

But I've always had the sneaking suspicion I'm going to die young . . .

On December 21st. 2012 (sadly) you'll have plenty of company.

*sigh* All right, which impending apocalypse do I have to avoid this time?

I've heard of this, but I've never actually seen any logic behind it, and I'm something of a skeptic.

Here's a few sites to get ya started:  (as for logic, you'll have to make up your own mind on that)

http://www.endoftheworldpredictions.com/december-21-2012-mayan-calendar.htm?gclid=CKq5hI_4z40CFRPdPgodi1bbLw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012

http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

http://survive2012.com/

[br]Posted on: July 30, 2007, 02:49:05 PM

damn try to get my head round round age when it comes to relativity :-/ if i travel thru time for 100 years and return to now plus a few minutes what age am i? my age now+ a few mins or my age +100 years. gonna sit in a corner and let my 100 year old head explode lol

Don't sweat it. Time travel also gives Janeway headaches too.

ChichenItza.jpg.4bacc3ea69fd5ba82f96385a5ffd2a77.jpg

rara_avis_1.gif.22ff717ecd734f73a563c8df88474292.gif