Battlestar Galactica 3x04

Hilander72

Awesome episode. :D

The ruse using drones to draw away the Cylons and then jumping Galactica inside the atmosphere, deploy Vipers while freefalling and then jump back into orbit was awesome. It was predictable that Pegasus would rescue Galactica, but it's a shame Pegasus was lost and it did manage to destroy two more Basestars in the process.

Leoben is a creepy Cylon indeed and they managed to wrap up a few things quite easily... It was sort of expected that Starbuck would take care of Leoben once more.

In the end it got a little emotional, seeing all those people reuniting and also remembering those that didn't. It was sad to watch Starbuck loosing what she thought was 'her' baby when she returned to Galactica.

They are back home again! :D

What happened to Baltar? Did he stay with the Cylons? Hera?

I think all of us knew in our heart of hearts, that sooner or later Pegasus was going to get exploded and probably in some self-sacrifice type way. It was pretty cool with the ol' Basestars getting raped and yeah, I really couldn't see Lee sitting on his hands. To be honest, I'm mildly surprised they didn't use both to start with but presumably Adama didn't want to take the risk. I think that it's fair to say that whatever they did - they were going to lose a Battlestar.

As usual, Adama's strategy was great. The Cylons keep falling for those classic tactical gambits of theirs.

I imagine we'll be following Baltar and the baby - I'm guessing he's with the Cylons but I'm not sure... I imagine we'll find out in the weeks to come.

You know, I'm fairly surprised that thus far we've learnt of no new Cylon models. I mean, I would have thought that given a four month occupation that we'd probably get to see some.

In a way, I'm kind of surprised that they resolved New Caprica so quickly... but then, the people were stuck there for 16 months... and it's fair to say that four episodes to resolve a cliffhanger is 4 times more than you'd have with any other show of this type... and I imagine we'll be feeling the fallout for sometime... Candidates for that - Starbuck, being withdrawn and broody over the child and her imprisonment.

Sol, for having to knock off his own treacherous wife - I may or may not be surprised if she pops up and we find out she was a Cylon all along.

Gada... I think he might have some angst.

It goes without saying that this episode was great. It was really everything it should have been. Action packed, excited, enthralling, it gave us an amount of resolution but at the same time set up a bunch of new stuff. In fact, it managed to be both a beginning and a middle and an end.

In conclusion, Cylons got pwned.

I think all of us knew in our heart of hearts, that sooner or later Pegasus was going to get exploded and probably in some self-sacrifice type way. It was pretty cool with the ol' Basestars getting raped and yeah, I really couldn't see Lee sitting on his hands. To be honest, I'm mildly surprised they didn't use both to start with but presumably Adama didn't want to take the risk. I think that it's fair to say that whatever they did - they were going to lose a Battlestar.

True. And if you look back at the original series, Pegasus was sacrificed in the same fashion: taking out two basestars at once. I wonder how often they're going to be paralleling events from the OS? How many seasons will it take until the Cylons give Baltar a Basestar of his own to command?

actually pegasus took out three basestars. One at the beginning when it came in with its forward batteries firing, one when it collided and then exploded and another one with its broken off flight pod that hit that base star and caused it to explode at the end. :D

Although I find it odd they said there were four basestars in the episode but in that battle there were only three on screen firing at galactica when they zoomed out and we first saw pegasus coming in.

GREAT EPISODE!!! I daresay best ever.

True. And if you look back at the original series, Pegasus was sacrificed in the same fashion: taking out two basestars at once. I wonder how often they're going to be paralleling events from the OS? How many seasons will it take until the Cylons give Baltar a Basestar of his own to command?

Later in the season (Episode 3x11 I believe) Baltar will be captured from the cylons by the RTF. So no basestars for him to command yet. :P

What a start to the Season! The Colonials still have a lot of issues to work out among themselves. I'm wondering whats going to happen to all those that cooperated. I felt really sorry for Tigh and Starbuck. Will Eight find out about the baby?The Cylons also seem to be in quite a mess. Im curious how Boomer and Caprica Six will react now. Baltar also seems a different person now. What will happen to the baby? They opened up the season perfectly and there is a lot left that needs to be told so this loos like it will be a great season.

p.s. how does the spoiler tag work?

What happened to the old spoilers? They were black and you just dragged your mouse over them to work? Were people spazzing around and seeing spoilers accidentally? Or is it just part of the "new look"?

Anyway, yes - there did seem to be only three baseships but maybe Adama trashed one of them? Who can say or maybe it was in a covering position. Regardless, I'll miss Pegasus - and yes, definitely mirrored the original fate of the Pegasus. Allowing the colonial fleet to escape by holding down enemy basestars... Except they didn't have anyone onboard. It's still a bit of a mystery as to why they didn't try and jump away, I assume - given previous circumstances - that the FTL goes off-line at the first sign of trouble.

I'm probably going to watch this episode again because it is awesome.

That definitely required at least one change of underwear, for any of three possible reasons.

I'm glad everyone spotted how the Pegasus' demise mirrored the original, just a little less ambiguous!

That was possibly the most awsome shot of anything blowing up in the history of things smashing into each other.

(Possibly excluding things that were actually real, but that's dark territory.)

That in itself was an example of how TV better than film now.

It goes like this: In films, things blow up. Its fun but everyone expects it and its of little concequence. TV used to suck. Every episode of anything was like a little film with very low production values and nothing ever changed or developed.

Now, TV shows have massive long runnig storylines and things blow up as spectacularly as they do in films. You get to know somewhere and, oh my god! it blew up, I can't believe that happened!

The Pegasus was always slightly inhibited by the fact that it basically consisted of that one straight corridoor and half a bridge set, which I believe were redressed sets form an unsucessful pilot for a new Lost in Space series. But it had been there long enough for it to be shocking to see it go.

I'd also have to agree that it was all wrapped up quickly. It seemed that the whole point of New Caprica was to deal with the problem of the show being journey show, but requiring location shooting to give it an edge. It looked like the storyline was going to last a good half season. I all honesty I think that it should have been longer. It all felt a bit rushed and too easy, they went to all the trouble to give the show a totally new setting and it only lasts four episodes!!

It should have lasted longer, it would have given more significance to the escape and probably lengthened the life of the show overall, given that they'll probably faff around in space and maybe the show will only last four seasons. Or maybe three, but we'll not go there, that's just too dark. If they'd stretched New Caprica out it could probably have allowed the whole show to go on for an extra season than it would otherwise. I do appreciate that this is entirely conjecture.

I was kind of expecting it to be a kind of protracted 24/Prison Break thing, but with more substance, I think this may have been preferable. But it was awsome, kind of like downing a bottle of spirits in one and stagerring about in amazement for an hour. Not that I've ever done that, it would be stupid and I'd probably just throw up.

The show really needs some direction now. They certainly haven't let us down of late and probably won't now. I think they can take some direction from the original. They need to run into some twisted race of fascist humans in between the colonies of Earth, that wear weird helmets and have some messed up language that sounds like Breen or something. Or we could run into the ship of lights, god like creatures that explain some of the series' misticism. I think that anyone who hasn't seen the original properly should do so. It has a lot of the same basis, it will provide a more interesting guessing game for how the show unfolds. There is material here for the show to go on for some time to come. They'd just best not frack it up. I think they realised from the episodes in season two that weren't too popular that they needed to avoid being too complacent. Its payed off. And there were only a couple of episodes that were a bit of a let down, mostly 'Sacrafice,' I happen to think that 'Black Market' was pretty good, unlike most people, including Ronald D. Moore himself.

Action-packed, and an emotional roller coaster!!! This was Battlestar Galactica in its prime. From Tigh's palpable grief as he watched his wife die by his own hands, to that final scene with Adama shaving off that god awful tache of his... amazing writing, amazing directing and all round awesome science fiction.

Once again, I just can't wait til the next episode!

I didn't quite see how he did it' date=' I assume he poisoned her but there was no overt shot explaining it, unless I missed it.[/quote']It's one of those "Needs no explanation" scenes. They talk about what must be done, she takes a drink, she falls asleep and then Tigh cries implying she's dead.

I'd do Ellen Tigh.
Too... many... jokes....

- You and everyone else in the world

- Who hasn't?

- Your mum would do Ellen Tigh

- In BSG, Ellen do you!

- So would I... and him too and him and her...

- Hasn't she scored enough?

I'm glad that didn't take too long to leave the planet although I thought they'd have one more episode.

The BSG descent scene was both visually impressive and far more organic than leaving fighters to fly in from orbit, almost all the other niggles were considered like the atmospheric friction and the sonic boom from Galactica junping out while in atmo, displacing the surrounding air.

The loss of Pegasus was both unexpected and tragic but hopefully Lee will now be losing weight so he can fit into a Viper again.

Starbuck forgot about the expert manipulation tactics of her captor but at least she didn't feign affection for the child even when she thought it was half-cylon.

Apparently BSG doesn't have a sizeable budget but if that's true they are making one hell of a storm while doing this show.

Seconded that this is the best episode since Resurrection Ship

They seem to use the budget they have cleverly. It also seems that we are in the golden age of CGI and really impressive stuff can be done without breaking the bank.

BSG makes it quite obvious that we are now at the pont where impressive cgi shots are cheaper than building sets. I'm not talking about virtual sets here, just pointing out that there are very, very few new set pieces that turn up in BSG. By set piece I referring to the likes of the Pegasus interoirs, not little jail cells or tents/caverns. All they've really had in the way of set pieces that's new since virtually the start of the series is the Pegasus, and that's small, and its just a redress of the sets from the illfated Lost in Space pilot.

Its pretty much an inverse version of TNG, where there would usually be some kind of reasonably sizeable set piece turn up in most shows, but they'd only composite new effects shots once in a blue moon.

I belive that B5 had half the budget of Star Trek at the time of production. I'd be interested to see how BSG compares to them, and more contemporary examples like Stargate.

Does anyone have any links to sites that provide these sorts of comparisons?

*placing gun back in holster*

good thing i read all ur post or it really would have hit the fan..lol..

sweet ep.... but why did adam shave his mooch???

i like that 70's look on him!!!!!!!

ah.. well i suspect he expects to do the dirty on the P..lol

Yeah, B5 had a fraction of TNGs budget (over a million an episode back in the early 90s was a lot) but then the vast majority of the action took place on the station - so they saved a lot on that (intentionally) and famously, they did their special effects on a bunch of cardboard boxes.

BSG is similar to BSG in that, they use most of the same sets over and over again. There's none of the Trek style beaming down to a new styrofoam landscape each week. Kara's room in the dentention centre was clearly a retool of her apartment and I feel confident that the caves were modified versions of the sets from Downloaded. The only entirely new thing they had to do were the tentscape. The rest was just jaunting around Vancouver - surprising they didn't bump into an SG team...

Anyway, I miss Adama's 'tache too. IT WILL BE MISSED.

Oh yeah, one of my "friends" watched this episode and actually said "Yeah, I've given up hope of any good episodes this season." Why did he hate it? Because apparently there were 8 basestars at the end of season 2 and then only 4 in this episode... I'm almost tempted to put up his e-mail address so he can be hate-mailed into seeing the light ;)

I'd have to say that it seems that Canada really doesn't have quite the same potential for location shooting as the US.

Evident in that it seems to produce shows somewhat limited to forest planets. They shoot BSG so well that it really doesn't matter too much. I think that Atlantis also has a history of making the best of the landscape, shooting it in such a way that it doesn't feel mundane and repetitive. SG-1 was dreadful in this respect, every new planet would look like the same dull forest.

Location shooting is important though, blah blah blah.. B5 was a bit stagey, but such a great show that it didn't matter too much. With BSG they seem so acutely aware that the show requires location shooting to avoid being too boxy (dreadful pun) that it has contributed to the lack of significant travelling anywhere. Sorry, I know I say this every week...

I think that the show is going to soon introduce us to the Cylon homeworld, so there can be running storylines there allowing the fleet to actually travel some distance and meet the nutty fascist human race that speaks some batty language that I've been looking forward to. In terms of development they seem to be in a similar point to where they were mid way through the original, where it seemed to be realised that they couldn't just have stock footage battles with the Cylons each week and the show took a more exploratory direction. This is why I recommend all serious fans get a hold of the original series if they haven't seen it yet, to get a feel for the direction the show may take.

MOUSTACHE, possibly the first to be cultivated in scifi history? Sisko, Sheridain, Riker, all grew beards, but I can't think about another example of a moustache.

And with the glasses too, dangerously close to...

images.jpg.e5423f24b8f1f3d1c767d95e6808ca7c.jpg