Battlestar Galactica 3x07

Hilander72

So-so. Nothing new except the fact that the device (beacon) left by the 13th tribe wasn't an anti-Cylon weapon. I find hard to believe the Cylons couldn't find a way to counteract a simple virus, though. The writers are making the Cylons weak. I don't like it.

In fact, if the Cylons are susceptible to human diseases, shouldn't something like this have happened a long time ago? Since the subject was brought up, I expect to see the Colonials developing bioweapons in the coming episodes.

Regarding the "let's destroy all the Cylons using the virus" thing, I think the writers should refrain from offering such opportunities (unless they want to end the series right now) because, if they don't, they'll have to keep coming up with lame excuses to explain why the Colonials missed the chance, transforming good characters into freaking morons.

I don't see the cylons inability to find a cure as a sign of weakness, but one of immense fear. These are a race that assumed they were immune to everything, and for the most part (with downloading) invincible. Having that ripped away in an instant would scare the bejesus out of any race.

Good episode with a lot of ifs. :)

How can anyone justify genocide?

Roslin could, Helo couldn't and Adama avoided it.

I got stuck on the decision itself. Was it Roslins or Adamas decision to go ahead a exterminate the Cylons?

It certainly seems that Adama does what the President tells him to do, but Adama still had the military choise to use the bio-weapon and knowing what the consequences would be. All he needed was the Presidential authority to use bio-weapons, not her approval and he could still have decided to not use the bio-weapon. So he simply did what was expected of him.

An oddity was that statement from Cottle, that the Cylon antibodies would break down the RNA of the vaccine and only temporarily cure the Cylons. Anyone who knows a little about vaccines and immunology will find this statement extremly contradictory! :thinking:

How can anyone justify genocide?

Roslin could, Helo couldn't and Adama avoided it.

Helo couldn't because he's married to one, Adama had a guilty conscience while wanting them to all die but didn't want the responsibility, Roslin suffered on New Caprica under a Cylon hand as evidenced by her comment about "I'll pretend I didn't hear that".

These are people who've seen the rest of their race wiped out by their enemy that relentlessly pursues them...

I got stuck on the decision itself. Was it Roslins or Adamas decision to go ahead a exterminate the Cylons?
Both but Adama knew that he didn't have to say it, just quoted a regulation to 'pass the buck'.

Roslin wanted it.

Adama knew it.

Both decided to do it, Adama by inaction, Rolsin by order.

An oddity was that statement from Cottle' date=' that the Cylon antibodies would break down the RNA of the vaccine and only temporarily cure the Cylons. Anyone who knows a little about vaccines and immunology will find this statement extremly contradictory! :thinking:[/quote']Assuming Cyclon immunity works the same way as Human immunity

Anyone who knows a little history nows that we (Terrans) were once infected with many more pathogens than exist today and these still exist buried deep underground. If they were to be released now they could probably wipe out our race.

Virii are also far more dangerous than disease which is why although we can cure most diseases we still 'catch cold' because the flu virus is ever-present.

Also consider Bird Flu (ignoring the propaganda about how we were all going to die from it) which humans have no immunity for. There is no cure only immmunity.

The Cylons only rebelled 40 years ago and the immunity came round 200 years ago so they wouldn't have considered this infection when creating the archetype which eventually led to the human form and since they were all robotic when they left they wouldn't have carried this with them.

So it was a case of short-sightedness on the Cylons part.

Helo's behaviour was predictable. It's is true to his character since he also had a gun ready to pull on Adama during Roslin's death rattle when they wanted to abort Hera. I think Adama expected it too which is why he closed the book on this one.

An oddity was that statement from Cottle' date=' that the Cylon antibodies would break down the RNA of the vaccine and only temporarily cure the Cylons. Anyone who knows a little about vaccines and immunology will find this statement extremly contradictory! :thinking:[/quote']Assuming Cyclon immunity works the same way as Human immunity

Anyone who knows a little history nows that we (Terrans) were once infected with many more pathogens than exist today and these still exist buried deep underground. If they were to be released now they could probably wipe out our race.

Virii are also far more dangerous than disease which is why although we can cure most diseases we still 'catch cold' because the flu virus is ever-present.

Also consider Bird Flu (ignoring the propaganda about how we were all going to die from it) which humans have no immunity for. There is no cure only immmunity.

The Cylons only rebelled 40 years ago and the immunity came round 200 years ago so they wouldn't have considered this infection when creating the archetype which eventually led to the human form and since they were all robotic when they left they wouldn't have carried this with them.

So it was a case of short-sightedness on the Cylons part.

Helo's behaviour was predictable. It's is true to his character since he also had a gun ready to pull on Adama during Roslin's death rattle when they wanted to abort Hera. I think Adama expected it too which is why he closed the book on this one.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough... (my point of reference is way above average in this field)

Anyone who knows more than the basics about vaccines and immunology will find this statement extremly contradictory! :thinking:

It was a little convoluted and unsubtle in a way which damages the quality of the show.

The stuff with Baltar, however, was awsome, I think he is probably the most interesting character in the show whereas I find my interest in other charaacters declining.

Its great the way he seems to keep being inadvertantly responsible for mass death, the colonies, Cloud 9, New Caprica, yet he is sometimes overwhelmed by sadness from this, showing that he is not quite the every day psycopath.

Here's something that has been bothering me since I watched this episode. How could lymphocytic encephalitis be transmitted through the Cylon resurrection process? The Cylon named Simon said there's some sort of "bioelectric feedback component to the pathogen" that could allow it. Is it really possible?

Also, why would Simon tell the Colonials all about the virus, and its implications to the Cylons as a race if a contaminated toaster died near a Resurrection ship? Hmm, there's something fishy about the whole thing.

Here's something that has been bothering me since I watched this episode. How could lymphocytic encephalitis be transmitted through the Cylon resurrection process? The Cylon named Simon said there's some sort of "bioelectric feedback component to the pathogen" that could allow it. Is it really possible?

That's pure sci-fi. That would require significant scientific breakthroughs in many fields before even being close to possible in reality.

I could think of a few approaches to do that (the cylon way), but most of those would still requier a lot of sci-fi to be possible. ;)

Also' date=' why would Simon tell the Colonials all about the virus, and its implications to the Cylons as a race if a contaminated toaster died near a Resurrection ship? Hmm, there's something fishy about the whole thing.[/quote']

This is only a little 'oddity' compared with the vaccine/temporary cure 'oddity', but it is related.

Here's a part of the'oddity':

Those that were exposed to the pathogen (virus) didn't become ill (no signs of infection).

Humans must therefore be immune by inherited factors (genetic immunity).

Hera is most likely also immune (her father is a human [Helo], not 100% certainty though [mutation, crossing, 'cylon genetics', etc...])

To extract the antibodies (from Hera) responsible for immunity is not scifi (is possible) and the antibodies can be artificially produced (also possible) and I find it hard to belive that the Cylons aren't capable of doing these 'simple' things, considering they have managed to create/build themselves in the first place (which requiers far superior technology than 'simple' antibody extraction).

That has some truth to it, but they wouldn't be "buried underground" (literally - maybe figuratively), they merely reside in carrier animals that no longer contact humans.

Viruses ( ;) ) are less treatable than bacterial/protozoan/fungal infections because our current treatments (antibiotics) have zero effectiveness against them, however, in terms of pathogenicity and virulence, bacteria take the cake over viruses by far.

Bird flu (H5N1 strain, among others - it changes literally every 2 years) does in fact have a vaccine that is currently being inoculated into a large portion of the world's poultry in the hopes of staving off a pandemic; the vaccine does work for humans as well :)

But it doesn't explain how the Cylons wouldn't be immune to it (if it was indeed a genetic immunity), since they took their templates from humans. Hrm... gotta love plot holes =/

• 2 months later...

Another good episode :) the ear probe the cylons used on baltar was particularly interesting i thought lol. I did find the story a lil predictable however and madam president is really losing the plot since she got her life back. The cost to humanity to commit Genocide on the Cylons would have been great as mentioned. Not to mention it would have ended the story rather abruptly. I think the virus being passed on is meant as a pun on downloadable virus and was probably an in joke while the script was being conceived :)

Another good episode :) the ear probe the cylons used on baltar was particularly interesting i thought lol. I did find the story a lil predictable however and madam president is really losing the plot since she got her life back. The cost to humanity to commit Genocide on the Cylons would have been great as mentioned. Not to mention it would have ended the story rather abruptly. I think the virus being passed on is meant as a pun on downloadable virus and was probably an in joke while the script was being conceived :)

seeing as you have almost caught up what do you think of this new version, impressive?

oh yeah I'm a fan  :D cant get enough of it have to admit that the miniseries got me hooked and its more than lived up to my expectations the occupation on New Caprica episodes weren't the best but they still had enough drama to carry them through as the series goes on many questions appear that are yet to be answered, who are the other cylon models? is baltar a cylon? do the cylon fighters count and do the centurians? personally i don't think baltar is cylon but I'll have to wait and see, The cylon played by Lucy Lawless is great I'm liking her more and more :) (i was a Zena fan i must add)

• 4 months later...

The more I see of BSG, the more I keep thinking that all of the suvivors of 'the human race' which are in some position of power immidiately develop some form of criminal insanity.

I know without obvious flaws in character most stories would not exist or be plain boring, but they're really pushing it in BSG. I don't think I can name a single character who hasn't made at least one blatant error in judgement that could have altered the entire storyline for the better of the survivors. So much so even that the storyline could have been resolved multiple times allready, with 'the humans' as the victors. But because one 'frakkin' idiot decides he wants to screw up, the story continues.

To me it's extremely clear that this is just a prolongation of a storyline without real inspiration (same thing happens over and over again), which is extremely frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice and interesting show, but the errors in judgement are so blatantly obvious... wel ... it's over the top. One would even begin to think that these guys aren't military, but badly educated boyscouts instead. It's harming the credibility of the show. Too many plots are concluded with prolongation of the storyline in mind, sooner than to make it a clever storyline.

As such I feel very dubious about the show so far, on the one hand it's nice, on the other I'm very dissapointed.