High speed internet access

Guest c4evap

I have Optimum Online (here in NY, USA)...and I pay $49.95 per month! That's right...$49.95 per month! OUTRAGEOUS!!! Unfortunately, they are the only game in town (at present) so I have no choice.

How 'bout you...who do you have for an ISP and how much do you pay where you reside?

c4 :(

ermmm British Telecom, for there best package (something like upto 8mb with a monthly allowance of 40 gig) for the first 6 months £22.99 then increases to £27.99 (but you do get a nice looking white wireless router, internet wireless phones and nortons anti virus suite)

Wow. So, that works out to about $53.00 US. So you pay more than I do but you get more as well. All I receive is high speed access and a cable modem (Surfboard). No anti-virus/firewall (I use my own anyway), no webspace for a homepage...nothing.

c4 :(

ermmm British Telecom' date=' for there best package (something like upto 8mb with a monthly allowance of 40 gig) for the first 6 months £22.99 then increases to £27.99 (but you do get a nice looking white wireless router, internet wireless phones and nortons anti virus suite)[/quote']

Same

Except we're only paying £24.99 (Only getting 20gb download limit though)

The problem is though - we live too far away from the exchange so we only get a maximum of 512kbps and yet we still have to pay for 8 meg :(

I have Optimum Online (here in NY' date=' USA)...and I pay $49.95 per month! That's right...$49.95 per month! OUTRAGEOUS!!! [/quote']

Bet that doesn't seem so outrageous now, eh? ;)

What kind of connection do you get for that?

ComHem (Swedish), cable, 24mbit/8mbit, unlimited, $50/month.

They are not the cheapest ISP around, but they do deliver what I pay for (no upto BS speeds).

It's great to be able to download 350mb in less than 3 min. :)

:o

*drools*

With a slow connection one might get turned off, before it finishes downloading. ;) (pron on my HDs <0.3%, I just checked, total capacity = 1Tb)

Most ppl need the speed to watch Public Service Broadband TV which requeirs a minimun of 1Mbit (standard quality).

All PSTV programs are available to everyone and those that aren't are those "Big Corp" movies/series, which is outright stupid, considering they broadcast those on regular TV broadcasts witout any commercials anyway (maybe that's why, no commercials, on the internet... :thinking:).

Broadband TV (standard) specs:

Video: WMV9, 480x270, 600kbps.

Audio: WMA9.1, 64kbps, 48kHz, stereo.

Come to think of it, I haven't even turned on the old tube in atleast a week or two...

I have Optimum Online (here in NY' date=' USA)...and I pay $49.95 per month! That's right...$49.95 per month! OUTRAGEOUS!!! [/quote']

Bet that doesn't seem so outrageous now, eh? ;)

What kind of connection do you get for that?

No. It looks as if I'm paying a bit less than most (but without extras). My speed is 20Mbps/2Mbps.

c4 B)

pron on my HDs <0.3%' date=' I just checked, total capacity = 1Tb[/quote']

/me takes calculator:

That's approximately 3GB of pr0n, that's still a looot. :p

(I assumed you meant 1TB, since 1Tb is only 128GB, which is quite low by today's standards, especially for someone with such a blitzz internet connection as you (I'd expect people with fast internet connections to have up to date computers))

Anyway, my internet connection costs over 100 euro/month with a bandwith cap of 40GB/month. There are on average 10 different people connected to this single line, which makes the effective cost/month about 10 euro and the speed very slow when they're all online at the same time...

pron on my HDs <0.3%' date=' I just checked, total capacity = 1Tb[/quote']

/me takes calculator:

That's approximately 3GB of pr0n, that's still a looot. :p

Exact size in hd = 2 322 134 356 + 107 406 927 = 2 429 541 283 bytes = 2.26 GB

It's not that much (3 movies and 200 pictures) and all of it is very decent and most nude 'art' pictures. ;)

Besides I'm a healthy male and even a few women I know have more pr0n than I have.

Heck, I bet you have hidden a lot more of the 'nasty' stuff in 'TitsuoShima's Secret Stash' *drumroll*. ;) (sorry couldn't resist...)

There's also >700GB sci-fi movies/series on the hd's...

(I assumed you meant 1TB' date=' since 1Tb is only 128GB, which is quite low by today's standards, especially for someone with such a blitzz internet connection as you (I'd expect people with fast internet connections to have up to date computers))[/quote']

It's TB, but I had to use a small b, since a large B followed by a bracket does this: B)

What is truly outrageous, is the lack of high speed in rural areas, even those near urban areas, here in the U.S.

If I moved 15 miles, I could have fiber-optic high speed at home, provided I could/felt like paying for it as well as rent.

but here, I have the choice of dialup ($9.99-$22.95 for 56k) or DSL [wireless or phone] ($30-$40 for 256k) with no rent since we own a home.

cable is available about 2 miles off but here we have to use a satellite dish.

weird, huh? our country is such a mishmash of hitech/lotech, comes from being so spread out, I guess.