Cool touchscreen

ZaphodiLe

Well, if you think about it - that kind of interface is basically going to mean say goodbye to your mouse and keyboard... and that means that your laptop can just be a big ol' tablet. Which would be pretty cool, it's a nice refinement of a technology and we really have been using the keyboard and mouse too long.

I'm wondering how good the resolution of the touch is, current touchscreens have horrible touch resolution, especially for people with somewhat larger hands. A mouse is pretty accurate, i wonder how accurate you can maneuvre things with your hands with such a screen. Of course it doesn't use the same identical technology as they use in ordinary touch screens, but I'm still sceptical about this point.

I thought that the whole point he was trying to hammer home was that it was a much more refined sensor system?

I suppose there are obvious trade-offs having your keyboard/mouse type interface integrated with the screen and I think that there are obvious cases - like programming or maybe word processing, where a plain ol' keyboard might trump any fancy new thing....

But as speculate by Zaphod - I imagine it's going to be a few years before any of us are seeing this in a store as a rival/replacement for the current status quo.

Isn't it going to totally fail because it actually takes more effort to lift your arms than use keyboard/mouse. Like the interface in Minority Report.

I mean, what fat loser wants to wave his arms about to use a computer?

Its important to be able to distinguish between what seems cool in concept and practical in application.

Heh... such a varied amount of motion that touchscreen would require would mean carpal tunnel syndrome would probably go away, for the most part. Of course, there's still the matter of the keyboard... there is no more efficient way of entering text than a good keyboard, whether it's a physical one or one floating on the touchscreen. XD

thats great can see many many uses for this technology in all kinds of creative media. dunno why you guys think we are talking years before we see this down our local stores i mean the guys already got it so it'll be available quickly i would think.

pretty cool, but unless we redefine the way we use applications,,, this won't really take off...

good if your doing stuff like in ST... crap for word....

you need to speech recognition combined with this for it to replace a keybd & mouse...

also price will also be a issue...