Reason why you never give out your password

Guest Mrthumps

Sorry to spoil the fun, but I call hoax.  Nobody would try to masquerade as a valve employee and still type like that.  Why people believe this stuff is beyond me.  I know it's funny and pleasant to take at face value, but lets not be ridiculous.  The bumbling 13 year old scammer isn't smart or cautious and that's really what makes this appealing to believe, because the real scammers will often get information from you without even having to interact with you and sometimes without you ever finding out.

The whole thing is an obvious falsehood.  The more you pick at it, the more it doesn't make sense.

Guest Mrthumps

Sorry to spoil the fun, but I call hoax.  Nobody would try to masquerade as a valve employee and still type like that.  Why people believe this stuff is beyond me.  I know it's funny and pleasant to take at face value, but lets not be ridiculous.  The bumbling 13 year old scammer isn't smart or cautious and that's really what makes this appealing to believe, because the real scammers will often get information from you without even having to interact with you and sometimes without you ever finding out.

The whole thing is an obvious falsehood.  The more you pick at it, the more it doesn't make sense.

Ok, while you are entitled to your opinion on this let me just say this: in my time of being an anime fan and being a member of and running a few anime message boards I've come across many 13 years olds who try to pull similar things like this and they actually believe they can get away with it even with the terrible typing. From the kids who think "gundamz r rael" to the ones that think they can build them with the blueprints they've made I've seen it all. I even ran into a kid who said he wanted to drive a tank to Japan and force Bandai to make more of his favorite Gundam series.

Even though you don't want to believe it the fact is there are kids out there on the net who are stupid enough to think they can get away with it if they believe they can "talk the talk" they can get away with it. In the end there are really 13 year olds out there that stupid even if you don't want to believe it.

The fact that it seems too unbelievable to be true makes me think that it probably did happen just because it's so out there.

Edit: Don't take my tone personally.  ;)

The fact that it seems too unbelievable to be true makes me think that it probably did happen just because it's so out there.

Uh...

Ok, while you are entitled to your opinion on this let me just say this: in my time of being an anime fan and being a member of and running a few anime message boards I've come across many 13 years olds who try to pull similar things like this and they actually believe they can get away with it even with the terrible typing. From the kids who think "gundamz r rael" to the ones that think they can build them with the blueprints they've made I've seen it all. I even ran into a kid who said he wanted to drive a tank to Japan and force Bandai to make more of his favorite Gundam series.

Kids often act out and do/say crazy/stupid/outlandish things to be cool and get attention.  That's no secret.  I think you might agree that there's a distinct difference between that behavior and what is we are supposed to believe has taken place with this valve scam thing.

Putting that aside, what's also ridiculous is that I am supposed to believe that it took the kid more than a year to save up the 30 dollars to buy half-life 2.  Before you say he must be from a disadvantaged home, think about the hardware requirements for half-life 2.  Okay so maybe he only had half-life one, which was no more than 15 dollars last I checked more than 2 years ago.  A whole year to save 15 bucks?!  I don't think so.  Also think about the average cost of broadband which is a pretty much a requirement to get all the massive updates and play online.  Even if they don't have broadband, consider all the long hours of downloading time for updates tying up the phone lines, etc. and that's not including playing time and the time spent online doing other things like using his IM client to try and scam people.  The kid would need a separate phone line so as not to drive his parents crazy, plus there is the cost of dial-up which at best is around 10 bucks a month, and that together with the phone line costs around roughly the same as reasonably priced broadband alone.  This fictional kid clearly isn't living in abject poverty and yet we're supoosed to believe it took him all that time to save up to buy a game to set up a steam account.  I might add that you don't need to buy ANYTHING to get a steam account.

I'm sure you've seen it, but here:  http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&&browse=1

It's just like I said, the more you think about it, the less sense it makes.  You only believe it because you WANT to believe it.  You even acknowledged that it was pretty unbelievable.

One or more elements of this little story might be true on their own, but all of them together?  No.  Likelyhood isn't even an issue.  Likelyhood jumped out the window 3 paragraphs ago.

Lol.  ;)

Very good story...

my 2 cents.... there have been months lately where I couldn't scrape together the $16 my old ISP wanted per month. I can very much believe a teenager might not have access to the greenstuff he needed if his parents were on a low budget. rurally, where would they get a neighbor's yard to mow? urbanwise, same thing, no yards nearby... ;)

that does not give him the right to go online and play the idiot with the a**hole helmet... he very well could have lost his ISP privileges and enjoyed a juvenile facility for a while if the other guy had felt like that instead of conning him...

still, it could be a hoax... I laughed any way! it provides the great lesson... DO NOT GIVE OUT IMPORTANT INFO!

• 2 weeks later...

Arktis, the problem you have with the story is extremely valid, but as you said:

Kids often act out and do/say crazy/stupid/outlandish things to be cool and get attention.

If you take it as real:

The kid's just realized that he's lost his Steam account because he was being an idiot.

Because he's an idiot, he's trying to get the account back by using pity.

It's pretty much a given that eventually, if you study anything hard enough you can come up with some problems with it.

I read it once and laughed. It's funny.

Since you put it that way, I think I have a nice spot for this story on my top shelf next to God, the Virgin Mary, Shiva, and String/M Theory.  You know, right below absolute justice but just above candy corn that actually tastes good.  I'm talking about that set of shelves in my back room marked "untestable".

::)

Edit:  Alright, before some anal retentive (like me) person raises the String Theory issue, I KNOW.  I have my reasons, and they are: the test sucks; we still may never know.

Yes.  This is MY way of enjoying things.  ;D