Looking for some software suggestions

Guest Mrthumps

Guest Mrthumps

First off, this isn't for me but for my stepfather(I'm cutting and pasting straight from his email) but he asked me and now I'm looking to the experts.

Secondly, I'm not asking where to download it I'm just looking for some names of programs to scout out/pass along back to him.

Anyway, here's the question:

Looking for a address/contacts synchronizing software between cell phone (MDA T mobile & 8125 Cingular) and PC. Were you can drag and drop form one address book to the other.

The phone operating system is windows mobile 5 and the PC is windows XP

The screen is split into 2 .one dedicated to the cell phone the other to the PC. Any other method will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help.

Guest Mrthumps

Ok, I got a phone call last night from my step-father saying that microsoft activesync isn't(surprise, surprise ::)) what he wants.

Apparently he says that activesync works but it moves all the contacts at once and not one at a time. He said: "what I want is to have the program running with 2 windows, one side being the phone and one being my computer. I want to be able to take a contact form one side and drag and drop it to the other and vice versa".

He said he saw something like this running on a mac and he wants the equalivent of what he saw for Xp.

Honestly, I think he's either 1. not running activesync correctly or 2. is looking for something he can't get on xp.

• 1 month later...

Well, this isn't really my thing, but I did happen to stumble upon someything that may be interesting...

If the phone supports SyncML, then this seems to be the thing to use, it's quite versatile (probably offers even more than what is needed), OS support for both Windows and Linux:

Funambol!

Funambol is open source mobile application server software that provides push email, address book and calendar (PIM) data synchronization, application provisioning, and device management for wireless devices and PCs, leveraging standard protocols. For users, this means BlackBerry-like capabilities on commodity handsets.

The Funambol project is intended for IT professionals looking to leverage the latest generation of mobile devices for email and PIM, or for developers who need to build, deploy and manage a mobile project.