Signatures

TFMF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a solid backup, but don't worry I just found the problem heehee, and it was indeed related to someone clicking some buttons (don't know who), still it shouldn't have happened, it is clearly a bug in the modification, one I didn't know about if I might add and also one that was nowhere (where I would have seen it) reported on the SMF pages.

In fact I have 3 backups I can go back 7 modifications should it be necessary, complete backups (except for the database to which we have no access).

Anyway, I found the problem and it can 'easily' be fixed. :)

Mad_Martha was having this problem earlier yesterday. It was not the spoiler tag code that caused the problem.

Ah, in that case it was really just him not terminating in the bb tags correctly. Which was also a problem for Hilander72, but then the other things came into being as well... Darn bugs.

Code is fixed now btw. :)

no more workaround needed

(I think)

EDIT: hmm appearently properly terminating tags isn't allways necessary, didn't know that, LOL

Ah, in that case it was really just him not terminating in the bb tags correctly. Which was also a problem for Hilander72, but then the other things came into being as well... Darn bugs.

Code is fixed now btw. :)

no more workaround needed

(I think)

A few 'bugs' (=human errors) are to be expected. :)

And the terminating of BB tags is not necessary.

My current signature code:

[center][img=http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5448/siglln0.png][img=http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4789/sigrae9.png]

[size=3][color=sienna][b]MOD NOTE: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ. USE THEM WITH MODERATION.
[size=1]
[url=http://www.galacticastation.com/][color=orangered]Galactica Station[/url]   [url=http://en.battlestarwiki.org/][color=orangered]Battlestar Wiki[/url]   [url=http://www.battlestar.se/][color=orangered]The Destruction of Pegasus[/url]   [url=http://www.galacticastation.com/][color=orangered]What is Hilander72 listening to?[/url]   [url=http://www.galacticastation.com/][color=orangered]Desktop Art made by Hilander72[/url]

The same as below and it works fine. B)

The BBCodes are parsed when they are posted, so if anybody made a change or used BBCodes at the time with the problems, then that will not have been parsed (was only for 8-10 hours, so not too much should be affected). If anybody wants something they wrote at that time properly parsed, they can just (in posts) use modify, don't change anything and apply and it will get parsed. For signatures, basically the same thing, just save the profile page again and it should work.

There are signature limits though (I set them up reasonably lax, so only users with very big sigs should have been affected by them), and as long as the signature is not within the limts it won't get saved. TFMF said that the day you guys installed the SMF forum, a lot of signatures were cut of, that is something that cannot be helped anymore and users who have been affected by this, will have to re-enter their signature, maximum allowed sizes are currently a lot bigger than is default allowed by SMF. If you look at Hilanders' sig, you can see with some creativity you can still make a very nice sig with a fairly large picture in it. (in fact if a user wanted to "abuse" his signature size, I'm pretty sure he still could, though less easily and badly than before, I'm not saying Hilander is abusing his sig btw, in fact I rather like what he did with his sig, very nice! :) )

If you look at Hilanders' sig, you can see with some creativity you can still make a very nice sig with a fairly large picture in it. (in fact if a user wanted to "abuse" his signature size, I'm pretty sure he still could, though less easily and badly than before, I'm not saying Hilander is abusing his sig btw, in fact I rather like what he did with his sig, very nice! :) )

The total width is only 2 x 350 px = 700 px (which is the same as TFMF's to userbars.)

The centering and the illusion of being one image makes it 'look' huge... (I wonder what a 1400 px sig looks like? ::))

(I wonder what a 1400 px sig looks like? ::))

If I can find some "off the wall" way of sync'ing 4 animated gif's to "play" correctly you'll find out  ;D

...and yeah , just for the record : The limit on images of a height of 80px = SUCKS BIGTIME! (especially for those of us who work in 16:9)

[MM]

link=topic=8647.msg124544#msg124544 date=1166478363]

(I wonder what a 1400 px sig looks like? ::))

If I can find some "off the wall" way of sync'ing 4 animated gif's to "play" correctly you'll find out  ;D

I didn't say, that... Hilander72 did. (the quote...) :)

I bet you were thinking it :P

But anyway. Perhaps 80px is a bit small?

You should look at the whole for the size, you can make a total of 128000 px² with the current sig settings, that's more than large enough. Someone could easily make a sig sized 800x160 (or any other combination of 400x80), which is very large.

I can't image anyone being bothered with a height of 'only' 80px. If it were up to me, I would have set it to 40, but I figured, it isn't really up to me, so I kept it double that. After all, if you set it so big that nobody gets restricted by it, then what would have been the use of installing it in the end...

As for thinking it, I think it will either break the page or it will automatically be resized to 700x160. :)

" post="124544" timestamp="1166478363"]

...and yeah , just for the record : The limit on images of a height of 80px = SUCKS BIGTIME! (especially for those of us who work in 16:9)

Care to explain?

Because trying to make an animated GIF with just 80 height but 400 width leaves you with virtually no footage to work with.

Most stuff is in 16:9 aspect, meaning that for an 80 high pic you end up with a 142px wide GIF - and that's NOT a sig , it's an Avatar! (NOTE : Even avatars here have a greater height allowance of 100!)

Now , with a more generous height one could find (more) things to crop down to a reasonable size but the 80 leaves you with not even a whole face , and the end result looks dire (i.e. unusable)

Or you have to scale down too much and loose any semblance of detail - again looking dire (i.e. unusable)

Take for example my current make-shift sig - note how poor quality it looks compared to even your own avatar...

(and that clip is taken from DVD quality digital footage)

Depends on what you think a signatures is meant for...

If you want to place a film in it, then I agree, 80px is too small. imo however a sig is not meant to hold that sort of stuff at all (130+ frames??). NiteShdw asked me to trim down the height of the left bar next to the posts because it took up extra space (height) when people only wrote a single line, now if people were to have very big (high) sig, then all that work would have been for nothing, since the sig would take up more space than I was able to trim of the side (in height), in fact for some signatures I've seen on the forum, that is allready so, but I didn't want to push my personal ideas on the matter too much, so I compromised (the reason why I chose 80px is because members can have 4 pics in their sig and only 1 avatar, in the end that allows for a total possible height of 320px, I understand that for animated avatars linking is not much use, but some people want to have multiple small pics, other want to have one big pic, the current solution is somewhere in between those two)

Anyway, I don't make forum policy, I just set some restrictions that seemed appropriate to me. If anybody thinks it should be bigger, and NiteShdw agrees, then he'll probably change it to something bigger. Only reason I'm currently stil admin, is to fix any possible 'serious' issues that may still be present but haven't surfaced yet (bugs and stuff), I'll soon be back down to ordinary user (and happily so), I don't feel quite comfortable with admin powers on the forum.

I'm not trying to be greedy and ask for silly sizes.

I'm just saying that 80px is TOO small.

Just a suggestion , but how about more height (100~120px) but less pics (say 3 instead of 4).

With that suggestion in mind , ppl wanting "multiple" pics at least have an option to paste smaller pics into one larger one.

(e.g. several (5~6) "user bars" pasted into one large (100~120px high) composite pic ,that in turn could be animated if needed , then have two large composite pics next to each other to look like two columns of user bars giving a total of 10~12 user bars in a sig ....leaving another 3rd pic spare for an additional Pic if they choose)

That way , those like me can make more use of the single larger pics and those wanting multiple pics (i.e. more than 3) don't have to do anything too complicated (i.e. cut and paste in an art package) to get something they like.

Does that sound unreasonable ?

The linking of multiple small pics into one big one is indeed a good idea, if people know how to do this and are willing to, then it could solve the problem.

It could then be set to 120 height and 2 pics total (which would allow for 12 userbars if someone decides to go crazy).