Karma aka Q'ness

ok, MODs, get together and pow wow this. decide something. anything and I'll agree.

I kind of like getting noticed for helping here and there but it's entirely unnecessary.

I know I do it. SO do the others who got the help. A point system does not matter.

for those who want something similar for scoring of games or status. create it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fully except the point on awarding a -ve Q'ness where otherwise it would be a +ve one, its a good point and i can't and won't argue against that, also i do know how hard that the role of admin/moderator is/can be and i do know that you guys here are fair in your actions (else i wouldn't come here) we have a good community here an it is my fav forum and i give a lot of my time to it as do many other members and this all helps to make NiteSciFi the place that it is.

The problem is that some members are more inclined to award (or smite) Q'ness than other users and if these members use one forum topic more than others then that also unbiases the system, hence i believe the need to expand the remit over the definition within NiteSciFi of what Q'ness is

Almost all of the Q'ness points i have recieved have been from either contributing links under an incentive TFMF did some time ago and also some for providing answers in the Hardware/software topic by one member in particular.

In conclusion i would argue that the Q'ness system is something that is popular and needs to be expanded and the awarding of Q'ness for partaking in activities that are fun is something that i feel could work and bring new blood into topics that otherwise they might not look into as an example i am yet to visit the stargate topic for instance although i do like stargate, if i knew that i might get Q'ness for visiting a thread there then i would visit it more often.

Well, there isn't anything that says you can't give +q for people who win a game, winning a game that's fun and has been a challenge would seem to be positive imo. Giving -q for loosing it would be a bit harsh imo, but nothing that I personally would act against. I think we're all fairly relaxed on the restrictions that apply on q-ness, it's only when things go really 'wrong' that there has been an intervention (only once even!). People can see their own q-ness logs and as such have the ability to see who gave them what and even complain about it if it's an unfair 'donation'.

Really, I don't think we want to be tyrants on stricktness, so by all means, use it for anything that would generally be considered positive/negative, but use it fairly and apply the same rules to everybody. :)

Thought I'd let the dust settle before I posted...

Yes, I'm the Supreme Purveyor of Quintessential Evil™ whose Q'ness was corrupted by TS (gave him a -ive for it too).

But apart from offending his sensibilities - I have had had no complaints from anyone else - I still can't see the problem.

Let's be honest here.

No one is really taking any great notice of the system - I haven't seen anyone on the forums saying:

• "That person only has +1, so they must intrinsically be a lesser person than this other person with +24!"

It doesn't mean anything, so I'm just having fun with it.  Which was what I thought it (and the forum as a whole) was there for in the first place.

I'm not giving other people -ives when they deserve +ives.  If I think someone else is doing something good I reward them. And I'm doing it when I think people should be rewarded or encouraged.

I'm not being underhanded about it - my sig makes my position perfectly clear - I'm just treating the negatives as positives in regards to my own rating, but not in respect of anyone else's.

I'm sure TS will reply in high dudgeon, as he has privately, but if I've found a different way to express myself on the forum that is fun & causes no problems (it's not like I'm flaming people, or otherwise being anti-social) you really have to wonder what his problem truly is.

BTW, if you feel I've been a really bad boy perverting the Q'ness system, I'd urge you to give me -ive Q'ness ASAP to teach me a lesson (which is what TS considers it is for, so I'm sure he won't "intervene").

See TS.  I'm using it properly now  ;D

I can give so many examples why your reasoning is flawed.

1. Just having fun: suppose I find cursing fun, doing so is not something that would be accepted on this forum

2. having a different set of rules for yourself compared to everybody else is also soo wrong

3. suppose we're talking a real life situation, a police officer gives you a fine because he sees your doing a great job sticking to the speed limit (literally), an attorney notices this and the officer replies, oh, but the person really wanted a ticket,... that's still no excuse... you cannot give a 'penalty' to a person even if he wants it, unless he deserves it.

Soo, if you really want -Q, you could try to behave badly, but not so badly that it warrants a ban. That's the only solution I see for you.

In any case, if it doesn't matter, than it won't matter either if I take it offline.

What's more, if it doesn't matter than I don't see why on earth you would be complaining about it so much! ;)

(btw, I did not miscount, I counted everything thoroughly, judging by the time the negativism started to run out of control)

edit: in fact, this reminded me to check on the karma logs again, and I noticed another 'problem', so that means twice I had to undertake action (nothing to do with gathererhade this time).

TS.

Let me distill your argument for you.

• You have the power to make the change
  • You don't like what I'm doing. It's a threat to how you see the board operating
  • If I don't like it I can go somewhere else

Where the distractions you justify your argument are flawed is, all your examples have consequences beyond the individual.

Yes societies (including this forum) must have laws that we all follow, for the good of all.  They must be administered consistently and with fairness.

But, you don't pass laws to regulate every little bit of people's lives - that stifles both creativity and progress.  In a well functioning society, only where actions are/can be a threat to a person or persons (including self) are they regulated.

If I want to walk backwards in my own home, where I'll harm no one including myself, it shouldn't be a matter for lawmakers to take away that freedom.

If I want to drive backwards at high speed on a congested highway, that's a completely different thing.

Unfortunately, TS, you don't seem to be able to grasp the distinction.

If the way I want to use Q'ness in respect of my score alone is such a threat to the board, or any person on it, please tell me now EXACTLY HOW it is a threat. 

You haven't given me one concrete reason not summed up in the three dot points above.

As for why I'm complaining, it's not about the points, it's because I found your heavy handed actions offensive.

You changed my Q'ness without either discussing it with me first (ie a natural justice right of reply).  You didn't even have the decency after the event to PM me & tell me what you'd done or why.  You waited until I found out & PMed you.

Frankly, I find THAT series of actions/inaction far more of a threat to the good running of the forum than anything I've done.

And if you want to take away Q'ness, that's no bother to me.  BUT to be consistent in your argument, you have to remove it from everyone, not just me.

Anything else is just victimisation, ie one rule for me, one for everyone else.  And you just said that shouldn't happen.

But is one person playing with the concept without affecting others justification for denying it to everyone?  I'd say no.  But as for you, I guess we'll see.

Cheers, TS.

Signed,

The Supreme Purveyor of Quintessential Evil™

More -ives for my anti-social Q'ness behaviour welcomed!  :)

This sort of reminds me of old times.

I think you're either missing the point of my arguement or we have so completely different ideas that we're not getting through to each other.

Frankly I can't remember if I pm-ed you in advance or not, it has been a long time since then, in any case, I pm-ed the last user yesterday about the action taken. More likely however, I didn't pm you since you I left a message to all users involved via the karma log, that's just as easily seen as a pm, I might have forgotten about you, since you recieved the karma and were not the 'donator' of the karma. Which would have made you more a victim, however, I should have realised that you were the source, not the other way around.

To complete my point, you're in a public place here, you're not at your home, in a public place all regulations apply to everyone in the same way. If you say the q-ness doesn't need regulation and can be used for anything you like, then I fail to see the point behind the system and it just becomes a drain on the resources, which are quite likely to become scarce in the near future. As such I would sooner conserve the resources and disable the useless system than have it run anyway. I don't agree that currently it's useless however, but using in the way you describe would make it useless.

As for q-ness modification, if one driver makes a traffic violation, it is not customary to take away all drivers licences, only the ones from the people who consistently makes traffic violations.

In fact it looks to me like your just trying to be extra provocative...