2 SG-1 Movies *SPOILERS*

zztone

SG-1 Movie Spoilers Begin to Emerged, SG-1 Spoilers,

IGN Interviews Michael Shanks

Spoilers for the two SG-1 movies (said to be direct-to-DVD) are starting to emerge. The latest comes from an interview conducted by IGN TV with Michael Shanks, published December 18, 2006.

Shanks qualifies these spoilers with, Quite frankly that is as much as I know. I haven't even talked to the guys about it. They told us these pitches in September, so I haven't talked to anyone since then so that could've changed overnight, I have no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Movie 1: Robert Cooper's Ori Story

Written by Robert C. Cooper

Directed by Robert C. Cooper

Filming begins around April 15, 2007.

Shanks stated, "As much as I know about the story, the first one Rob is writing and directing has to do with wrapping up the Ori storyline, which is the storyline that has taken prominence for the last two years of the show. I don't know if he is going to wrap it up completely or bring it to some conclusion for the sake of the fans and the franchise, to bring that epic struggle to a close I don't know how he is going to do it in two hours but it will be pretty interesting to watch."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie 2: Brad Wright's Time Traveling Story

Written by Brad Wright

Directed by Martin Wood (tentative)

Filming begins around June 1, 2007.

Shanks stated, "And Brad is writing one, as far as I know, is a bit more standalone that will involve some kind of time travel and has something to do with our main mustache twiddling villain Baal doing something in the past that alters…he basically finds a way to lift the stargate from Earth so the Stargate Program never happens, and I imagine the characters will have to go through some process to reset the clock and fix everything over the course of two hours."

Other Details

The movies might be running about two hours each. It isn't clear if this is the total running time (without commercials) or the time that they'd run if they were broadcast on television with commercials and without cuts.

Contract negotiations are just finishing up for the cast, but Shanks didn't specify which actors would be in each of the movies.

The information about the movies is from the third page of the interview. Along with the previous two pages, Shanks discusses his Women of Sci-Fi Calendar co-produced with Christopher Judge, the cancellation of SG-1, the 200th episode, and what's in store for the second half of S10 (spoilers), and reflects on his time with the cast and crew over their ten years of production.

IGN Interviews Michael Shanks

Interesting. I wonder if this means SG-1 will end on a big cliffhanger then?

The second movie also sounds interesting although it seems to take ideas from several episodes previously done already. Wonder how that will turn out...

Thanks for the info :)

Movie 2: Brad Wright's Time Traveling Story

Written by Brad Wright

Directed by Martin Wood (tentative)

Filming begins around June 1, 2007.

Shanks stated, "And Brad is writing one, as far as I know, is a bit more standalone that will involve some kind of time travel and has something to do with our main mustache twiddling villain Baal doing something in the past that alters…he basically finds a way to lift the stargate from Earth so the Stargate Program never happens, and I imagine the characters will have to go through some process to reset the clock and fix everything over the course of two hours."

Moebius, Part 3? :o :o :o

Just a bit more news for you.

Save Stargate SG1 campaign statement

The following is a statement released by the Save Stargate SG-1 campaign after MGM’s announcement that SG-1 would continue in movies rather than with a Season 11:

“The stated goal of the Save Stargate SG1 campaign is “Supporting MGM in securing the future of Stargate SG-1, be that an 11th season, movies or miniseries, via TV, direct to DVD, ground breaking online distribution or download service.â€ÂÂ

The hope of the campaign was to secure at very least a proper ending to Stargate SG1, denied it by the speed of the cancellation by SCI FI Channel. The announcement of two movies at least offered closure to the huge Ori storyline. But it wasn’t enough for fans, who wanted our SG1 team to have a future.

Now the final word is in from MGM: there IS a future for Stargate SG1.

The studio is committed to producing an ongoing series of movies - as long as we, the fans, support those movies. DVD sales for the first two movies, going into production in April and June 2007, will be CRITICAL to ensure MGM can afford to commit to the third and fourth, the fifth and sixth movies, and more.

Some disappointment is natural: the ideal was always to secure an 11th season if at all possible. We’ve worked hard for that goal, explored every avenue and option. But SCI FI Channel, overseas broadcasters and now MGM itself have all spoken on this. In a pragmatic campaign, always grounded in reality, always telling it to you straight, we have to admit that Season 11 is officially off the table.

SG1 will continue in the form of a DVD movie series. Atlantis and the new third series are the future of Stargate on television.

SG1 will continue. It has its own future. The dedication and passion of the international community of fans have made it impossible for MGM not to hear us, not to make that commitment to continuing the story of the SG1 team through the series of movies.

We have spoken and we have been heard; now our actions will speak louder than all our words. We’ll celebrate our team by watching Season 10 episodes live on SCI FI Channel and buying the DVD releases or iTunes downloads, but we must, MUST support the DVD movies. They are the future of Stargate SG1.â€ÂÂ

Ah, the cynic in me says - they're doing their best to make sure the first DVD gets sales because they know that a lot of people will buy the DVD if only to get closure on SG-1.

Random time travel? I get the feeling that'll play just like a 90 minute episode... I am not going to hold out high hopes for it. As you say, Moebius part 3.

Man, "Save [random sci-fi show] campaign!" are a real embarrassment to the sci-fi community. Surely I'm not the only person who finds it rather pathetic to see fanboys/girls grovelling for more episodes - especially of a show that is as well worn as SG-1. 10 seasons? That's unprecedented for a modern sci-fi show. Only the X-files got close and that's pretty borderline sci-fi.

• 3 weeks later...
The hope of the campaign was to secure at very least a proper ending to Stargate SG1, denied it by the speed of the cancellation by SCI FI Channel. The announcement of two movies at least offered closure to the huge Ori storyline. But it wasn’t enough for fans, who wanted our SG1 team to have a future.
A 'proper' ending should've been at the end of season 8 when they basically cleaned house with the Goa'uld plot, the Jaffa were free, Daniel was semi-aware of the ancient knowledge, it was done.

Season 9 should've been the start of Stargate:Ori with a new team and setting supported by old cast members like Atlantis was supported by Wier and McKay which it seemed to be since they replaced most of the supporting cast with new faces (Lexa, Beau, Claudia) and replaced the lead man with Ben Browder. Maybe then it wouldn't be facing such a sudden cancellation.

I'm with Tenebrae's cynicism on the DVD sales - it's a blatent sales tactic akin to bad TV evangelists who say "Pledge your money know and let the Lord save you!". My reply "Erm, no thanks". I used to go out of my way to buy DVDs of stuff cause they were ahead of terrestrial TV but now I have cable I'll buy them if I watch them and see if they are crap or not first.

I'd much rather have an occasional Stargate movie with a terrific story rather than a season with only a few worthwhile episodes and the made up of sub-par filler. Will these movies be "terrific" though? That remains to be seen. What I do know, however, is that I will be renting, not buying. The completist I am, I would feel the need to own the entire series if I only had the very last chapter in a very long storyline.