BRITSIH LICENSE FEE A COMPLETE WAS OF MONEY

Ulysses

The legislation explicitly states capable of receiving the signal and doesn't say capable of receiving an analogue signal. Digital signals are transmitted from the broadcaster and your tv is a receiver for said signals there is no escape from this catch all even if the data was transmitted down your telephone line or sent by semaphore you need a receiver to convert the information into a form that is displayed on your set. it is the reception you pay the license for and not the transmission.

What exactly do you think is different from an analogue signal and a digital signal other than the shape of the waveform?

ahhh meg you so lost the plot....

if i have an analogue tv capable of only reciving and analogue signal, when we switch over in 2012, and my tv can't recive these digital signal.. should i pay???

jus curious what shape is an analogue signal and what shape is a digital signal.. (used for broadcasting that is...lool  ;D )

you should look it up!

Yes I do think it's a waste of money. If it aint soaps it's game/quiz/reality/diy/chat shows. Can you say 'mint'? I thought you could. ;)  They're cheap to make and get lots of viewers. Excellent value for money as far as TV execs are concerned.

On the subject of the analogue/digital switchover. It's not necessary to wait until then to avoid buying a licence. You have the option now (as always) to buy one or not. You don't have to have a licence to own/use TV/VCR/tuner cards etc, just so long as you don't use them for receiving any TV broadcasts (including text services). So whether you have equipment that is/isn't compatible with a broadcasting system isn't very relevent.

Analogue signals are sine waves. Digital signals are square waves.

British TV is Granny TV its geared around an audience over sixty fives. There no value in anything they show. The film 'Train Spotting' hit the nail on the head......"watching mind numbing, spirit crushing game shows whilst stuffing junk food into your mouth", Maybe I`ll apprecaite the crap they show when I`m over 65.

If I see any more Noel Edmonds I`m going to have to put my foot through the television............and the funny thing is how everyone gets really excited in the audience over the shite he produces.....opening a few cardboard boxes........dear me.

As far as I am concerned the only BBC television I watch is Star Trek on every Staurday afternoon..........I havent seen the TV listing for this Saturday but I`m sure they have ended my only viewing pleasure.

Like I said, if it irks you so much - stop paying.

Though, I'm not sure the courts would take that.

hardly a constructive view really lol

No but he's right though. Except for the bit about the courts.

I hardly ever watch TV anymore. There's nothing on that I care about missing. Sole exception is F1.  I won't ever buy a TV licence either.  I spend a good deal of my free time playing computer games.  Eventually, they'll get so good (when home VR systems become commonplace) that passive viewing of TV won't be very popular.

Like I said, if it irks you so much - stop paying.

Though, I'm not sure the courts would take that.

hardly a constructive view really lol

No but he's right though. Except for the bit about the courts.

I hardly ever watch TV anymore. There's nothing on that I care about missing. Sole exception is F1.  I won't ever buy a TV licence either.  I spend a good deal of my free time playing computer games.  Eventually, they'll get so good (when home VR systems become commonplace) that passive viewing of TV won't be very popular.

how can he be rite when if you get caught without one you get a £1000 fine or sent to prison lol....its not a licence its another tax that is a complete waste of money and not nessasary

Because no licence equals no watching, therefore no problem. The UK TV licence works the same as UK VED (road tax). You only have to pay if you wish to make use of the feature. If you don't pay but still use the features/services, then you run the risk of prosecution, if caught.

The thing I dislike the most about the TV licence is how they've changed it recently to encompass all broadcast TV, including foreign. Which I think is out of order since it's made in, and broadcast from, a foreign country and those stations don't receive any money from the licence anyway.

Is the British license fee per household or per person?

And... Digital signals can also be a sine wave (not to mention saw wave ;) and modulation, etc...). It all depends on the transmitting/receiving equipment.

Per address.

In practice they are. In theory they're square. Modulation isn't a waveform but a means of changing one.

lol if we are going to be picky about what shape a digital signal is in comparison to an analogue signal then here goes lol

The original view port of a camera is analogue (a lens is an analogue device) it is converted into a square wave and modulated into a compressed analogue signal at a certain frequency and combined with with other channels (in modulated square wave format) then it is modulated again onto a carrier wave (the band) and transmitted (square waves aren't transmitted because of the huge bandwidth and noise generated from them) then the analogue signal is received converted into several square waves each modulated on a different frequency and the signal required is then filtered out from the various digital frequencies within the band being received, the required frequency channel is then demodulated again to produce a square wave which is converted into a sawtooth analogue signal which is fed to your television screen :P

The resultant shape of a signal is totally different for analogue in comparison to digital as i stated in my post. I should know i studied this sh!t when doing my degree in electronics and software engineering  :P