File Explorer Navigation buttons have disappeared

Megalith

I have a problem with my XP that is driving me crazy trying to fix, the navigation buttons on my file explorer have disappeared :( if i log into admin they exist and function correctly. I have now got my windows set like 3.1 so if i click a directory a new folder opens, ive tried resetting options for folders and nothing :( i dont want to have to create a new user account and transfer my desktop and settings to it and i dont want to do a reinstall either. the only thing i can think could be causing the problem is my theme management software but again removal doesnt fix it and neither does it return when i reinstalled it. Any suggestions? obviously i dont want to format my hard drive or reinstall windows either  ::)

Hmmm cant find my screen capture app lol cant remember what its called  :'(. What i mean by navigation buttons are the buttons for forward/back and up etc that when you open a folder with files in are displayed, the menu bar also doesn't exist on my folders :(. I'm not referring to IE as the navigation buttons exist on IE (i use firefox anyway) as i say if i login as administrator the menu and navigation bars are there  >:(

Wow, the menu is gone??

That seems like it's probably a registry setting, no way MS would be so dumb to make that a selectable option somewhere. May be a program that inserted it to harras you?

What kyran said was correct to display those 'navigation' buttons, however, if your menu is gone, I've no idea how to get there. The settings are stored on a per user basis, so setting them for any other users won't help this specific non-functional useraccount.

Some things you can try that may help:

1. You may have it pushed of to the side. Look for any bars( | ) and put your mouse over them until they turn to a left and right arrow and then drag the bar back in  place.

2. Try hitting alt-F or alt-E, a menu should appear, you can then drag the bar back to it's correct position.  Alt-V will bring up the view menu, make sure that the appropriate toolbars are checked.

3. Try pressing F11. (fullscreen mode enable/disable)

4. In the registry do:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

delete appropriate "ITBarLayout" key:

For IE Toolbars:  The WebBrowser Sub-key directly affects IE.

For Windows Explorer Toolbars: The Explorer Sub-key directly affects Explorer.

The ShellBrowser sub-key: may affect IE as well.  Its effect on IE and Windows Explorer is unknown at this time, so if the first option doesn't work, delete the ITBarLayout value here as well.

The deleted value will automatically be recreated for you.

You may still want to right click on the main key (above) and select Export. This will allow you to backup the contents of the whole key, including subkeys.

Try these option in that order. Depending on how good your eyes are, the one that will solve your issue will be the one with the higher number (better eyes means higher number, weird huh! :D )

Good luck and hope this solves it for ya! :)

(the menu thing)

After that you can do what kyran said to display the 'nav buttons' (if they aren't there allready by then) and you can also go into folder options then to set how you want explorer to open your folders and whetever else you want to change/fix/set/...

nice one guys in the end the full screen option did it, i was able to re-enable the menu bar which was unchecked then restoring the window allowed me to restore the correct settings :) i now have the menu and nav buttons again and can go back to open in the same window folder options :) [br]Posted on: January 26, 2007, 18:34:22

i'll lock this topic. thanks again gents