AVG Free, upgrade from 7.1-7.5

StitchInTime

Yes... right up until I accidentally nuked my windows partition on my desktop.  Now I run pure linux. ^^'  (ahh... what a one character typo can do ;p)

Anyways... when I was using 7.5, it worked fine, and given that they're discontinuing updates for 7.1, upgrading is probably a good idea.

i had it but i got rid of it mainly cuz it was slow and used a lot of resources while it was running, not a major problem and for free it does what its meant too and updates daily. Nice piece of kit if you run it while you arent busy tho.

The darn buggers charge a lot this year. Last year I bought my upgrade for $15, this year it cost me $50 (talking about trend micro).

My GF had AVG 7.1 installed, upgraded to 7.5 because it was announced service was stopped. Performance and false positive wise 7.5 is definately inferior to 7.1.

A good alternative to AVG is Avast (a decent amount of tests say it performs remarkably better too), if you can live with the interface, to much bling bling for my liking, it too is free of course.

One good tip for people considering using trend micro, uninstall spybot s&d BEFORE installing trend micro internet security. It'll save you a lot of hassle and poor performance. Appearently they are incompatible, and of course nobody told me. Found it out the hard way... Nearly wrecked my install searching for the cause (of course, one of my network cards chose that exact moment to stop functioning as well... ah, Murphy... Luckily my mobo comes with 2 onboard nics, the one currently in use is definately inferiour to the broken one though, but at least this one works... Hope my pc lasts 'till the end of the year, by then I may have saved enough for a replacement). Been using trend micro for 3 consecutive years now, no complaints so far (except for the last upgrade with the mentioned incompatibilities).

AVG Free 7.1 was also slowing down my computer, so I switched to Antivir Personal Edition about a year ago. I've never had a problem since then. The only thing I don't like about "Antivir Free" is that it doesn't have an e-mail scanner like AVG or Avast... Other than that, it's very good and, according to the latest antivirus softwares tests, it has a better detection rate than AVG.

. . . I switched to Antivir Personal Edition about a year ago. I've never had a problem since then. The only thing I don't like about "Antivir Free" is that it doesn't have an e-mail scanner like AVG or Avast... Other than that, it's very good and, according to the latest antivirus softwares tests, it has a better detection rate than AVG.

That sounds good.  In fact, I was looking at it when I was first notified that 7.1 was going out of style, because I thought that 7.5 wasn't free.

I don't use email that much, have dialup and one of those accessible anywhere email accounts which scans everything anyway.  Hence, this might be adequate for my needs.

I'm not surprised that 7.5 isn't as good, as I kind of suspected it might not be, since these guys are really pushing you to buy, buy, buy, the "full" version, or whatever they call it now.  It's too bad, because I really liked 7.1, as it was the first one that didn't seem to slow my computer down.  I had to disable it whenever I did a defrag. though because it interfered with that process.

Well, I just checked and Antivir Personal is not an option, because as of June 30, 2007, the version for my OS will not be supported any longer, and I haven't got enough RAM or enough money to upgrade my computer.  So I don't see the point in their saying it's easier on older systems, if they're no longer going to support the older system versions anyway. ::)

Hence, it looks like that leaves AVG or maybe Avast, though I probably don't need all that fancy stuff.

I'm using avg free at the moment

I tried the 64 bit windows and it was the only one that supported it

now I'm back to 32 bit windows and still using it

stitchintime are you in england?

what ram are you using ?

got lots of sticks here

Well, I just checked and Antivir Personal is not an option, because as of June 30, 2007, the version for my OS will not be supported any longer, and I haven't got enough RAM or enough money to upgrade my computer.  So I don't see the point in their saying it's easier on older systems, if they're no longer going to support the older system versions anyway. ::)

Hence, it looks like that leaves AVG or maybe Avast, though I probably don't need all that fancy stuff.

Gee, I didn't know Antivir was ending support for older OS. Sorry! As you said, it doesn't make sense. So I guess you will have to stick with AVG or increase RAM, as kyran suggested.

You can also take a look at Active Virus Shield ("Kaspersky Free"). Never tried it myself, but I've heard only good things about it, both in terms of system resources consumption and virus detection rate. It also has e-mail scanner and works with most Windows operating systems.

I'm using avg free at the moment

I tried the 64 bit windows and it was the only one that supported it

now I'm back to 32 bit windows and still using it

stitchintime are you in england?

what ram are you using ? got lots of sticks here

I'm in Canada.

I only have 128MB, though I keep meaning to upgrade.  I know RAM is relatively cheap and probably fairly easy to install, even for a novice like me.  I just never seem to get around to getting out to the local parts store.  They had it last summer, and I ascertained that my machine could handle 256 X 2 (512). 

I have WIN 2000 around here somewhere--if the CDs are still good, but then I'd have the problem that my drive is not set up for an easy installation, i.e., it's not partitioned (other than the partition that comes with the thing); so, I'd probably have to install 2000 over 98, and I'm not sure I know enough about all this to get it right.  Still, the 512 would be good, since so much software uses so much RAM these days.  I've been just thinking that if I was trying to run more than two of the updated programs at once, it could be quite a strain.

My relative lack of knowledge is one reason I keep visiting this forum.  You guys are great.  I don't always understand what you're talking about but I often learn something.[br]Posted on: February 04, 2007, 01:14:29 PM

You can also take a look at Active Virus Shield ("Kaspersky Free"). Never tried it myself, but I've heard only good things about it, both in terms of system resources consumption and virus detection rate. It also has e-mail scanner and works with most Windows operating systems.

Thanks. Perhaps I shall check that out.[br]Posted on: February 04, 2007, 01:22:42 PM

Oops.  It says it automatically checks for updates every hour, and I have dialup; so, that's going to be bad news.

Oops.  It says it automatically checks for updates every hour' date=' and I have dialup; so, that's going to be bad news.[/quote']

I'd imagine it would allow you to set when the program updates. I have a full version of KasperSky Anti-Virus on my laptop and it allows you to do this.