NiteSciFi Seti @ Home Team

S0V13T

My first official act as an administrator of this domain, is to lead a team of dedicated people to further humanity's understanding of the universe.

This teams main objective is to scan signals found in space, and analyze them looking for an intellegent signals. Once we locate, and make contact with intellegent alien life in the heavens, we will trade vast quantities of common sea water for their faster then light space travel technology, weapons, and green slave girls.

Yes, I'm serious.

Everyone's heard of Seti @ home, I recon.  Can anybody think of any compelling reasons why we SHOULDN'T all download and install the client, join the NiteSciFi.com team, and be a part of history?

I didn't think so.

For now, my cpu power is quite limited (still running an old athlon xp) and the little cpu power I do have is usually aquisitioned for other tasks, but that should change by the end of the year (I'm in expectance of a new computer, 9 months? ;D ).

I thought I read somewhere that the seti@home program was being canceled and replaced by a more generally focused one (which would serve volunteer computing tasks about all sorts of stuff).

Can anybody think of any compelling reasons why we SHOULDN'T all download and install the client , join the NiteSciFi.com team , and be a part of history?

Yeah , a couple actually :P

First - we can't even make peace with OURSELVES let alone an alien race !

Second - Any alien race with the tech to actually travel to our little rock - there would be nothing we could do to actually stop them from taking whatever they wanted anyways...

Third - Until we sort our defences out - we'd be nothing but prey/food/slaves for any one of a million "nasty" races that may be out there - as was said in the film Contact - "Why do you scientists always ASSUME aliens will be friendly ?"

I used to do quite a bit of SETI back in the day (my records may still be in the DB somewhere) - but after looking at those questions I posted ,  came to the conclusion that we had "more pressing" issues here at home before we started our Mission to Boldly Go.....

[MM]