Another Thought Provoking Hard Sci-Fi From Hollywood - Sunshine

Tenebrae

XD... a bomb the size of Kansas wouldn't even make the sun burp, and the only thing that could cause the sun to 'die' would be a diminishing of fuel... whereupon it would compress for a while as the nuclear engine slows, then explode (well... the outer layers would be blown off, anyways).  Of course, if it has an alien race manipulating the sun, then it changes everything...

'Hard sci-fi'?  Nope... quite soft sci-fi masquerading as hard, from the looks of things.  Still, that doesn't mean it's going to be a BAD movie... just a little (or a lot) lacking in the science and replacing it with magic in disguise. ^^

Yeah, it's clear it's not real, but what will turn out to be interesting is how the film expands that into its dialog, storyline and scenes. I hate movies that try to be realistic but absolutely aren't. Given this may try to be scifi (depending on the deeper storyline) and making those few assumptions, it could be okay. :)

Well...I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on suspending my disbelief and cherishing the illusion. I mean, that's what scifi is all about no? Isn't that why they call it science fiction?

I checked out the IMDB page and it's rather amusing to see comments from people who haven't even seen the movie yet. It may or may not turn out to be a bomb (no pun intended). I for one, am sooooooo starved for some new scifi I'd prolly watch Leonard Nimoy shjt on a cracker!

;D

Oh, I'm all for the suspension of disbelief... this just seemed jaw droppingly hilarious in the idiocy of 1. the sun dying so soon 2. it "dying" by just kind of fading like a lightbulb 3. the plan to reignite the sun with a bomb.

Anyway, I'm sure that we'll see the cast heroically sacrifice themselves in building order - minorities and children first.

Also, anyone think "The Core" meets "Event Horizon"?

LOL. Sounds about right. But ah...I'll watch it anyway. Like my Granddaddy used to say: Better to eat a bowl of califlower than walk 5 miles and eat a bug (does that make any sense to you? Cause we all thought granddaddy was a bit off).

;D

Oh, I'll definitely watch it - you kidding? If it's anywhere near as funny as the Core, then I'll likely laugh so hard, milk will come out my nose.

Also, it seems as if they're fixing that greatest Hollywood tradition - using nukes to solve a problem. Only they're not just using any kind of nuke, they're using one THE SIZE OF KANSAS! Which is still pretty insignificant given the entire Earth is about a million times smaller than the Sun. Still, the greatest danger the Earth has ever face clearly needs the greatest nuke the Earth has ever built! I'll be interested to see what kind of science we have.

<- totally agrees with ^.  Nothing solves a stalled sun (a fusion reaction 108 times as big as the Earth) than a Kansas-sized nuke - a fusion reaction a small fraction of the size of the Earth... or even a much weaker fission reaction, if they speak of uranium during the movie!.  And ignoring the fact that a dying sun would expand like a balloon and not 'fade out like a ligtbulb'... All I can say, is this movie better make up for the c##ppy science with good characters and drama!

Yup... this movie ain't science fiction... it's clearly science fantasy (which is a good genre in and of itself, of course... just don't try and bill it as scientific. ^^')

I for one' date=' am sooooooo starved for some new scifi I'd prolly watch Leonard Nimoy shjt on a cracker![/quote']

That wouldn't be sci-fi... that'd be reality television. ;p

Man, let's not get into the whole "sci-fi vs sci-fantasy" thing... it's a small enough genre as it is without imposing further pedantic distinctions.

Huh, wiki says the mean diameter is 109 Earths, but I guess it might have been piling on the pounds... personally I think that films which have such reckless disregard for the laws of physics should have to have onscreen explanation to educate people into the way things would really happen.

You're right, it IS 109 and a bit (about a tenth of an Earth) when calculated from diameters... I just used the first source I found, which happened to be wrong. ^^

Also, I think that separating science fiction and science fantasy IS useful, and that they're both valid genres... but you're right.  That's off topic. ^^

... damn, all this discussion means I'm probably going to be watching it in some way or other when it comes out. ^^'

• 1 month later...

XD... a bomb the size of Kansas wouldn't even make the sun burp, and the only thing that could cause the sun to 'die' would be a diminishing of fuel... whereupon it would compress for a while as the nuclear engine slows, then explode (well... the outer layers would be blown off, anyways).  Of course, if it has an alien race manipulating the sun, then it changes everything...

'Hard sci-fi'?  Nope... quite soft sci-fi masquerading as hard, from the looks of things.  Still, that doesn't mean it's going to be a BAD movie... just a little (or a lot) lacking in the science and replacing it with magic in disguise. ^^

But it's dark matter!

A spacecraft with a crew of eight men and women is launched as a last hope, carrying a dark matter-filled bomb the size of Kansas in order to re-ignite part of the sun.

Ooh!  Magical 'dark matter' comes to save the day!  Yeah, this movie has gone deep into science fantasy land, if not out-and-out fantasy.

Still, it might be good, even if it doesn't come within 10 feet of any actual, genuine science. ^^

While I loathe such labels as "future fantasy" and such... the word science oft seems ill equipped for use in conjunction with these films. Still, apparently it's coming out in Britain some months ahead of its US release. Good one Danny Boyle! Whatever happened to the simultaneous release thing, eh?

Anyway - I'll watch it... if only because it's one of the few films this summer that isn't a repeat.