Stargate SG-1 10x20 [Unending]

Tablet

185pj7.jpg

Discuss the last episode of SG-1 10x20 [unending]

You can also vote on how good you thought the episode was however you should only vote if you have seen this episode.

This thread may contain spoilers, so don't read any further unless you have watched the episode or if you are comfortable seeing what the episode is about.

Before the episode airs or before you have seen the episode, you can also use this thread to discuss rumours, spoilers and your hopes for what this episode will be about.

[spoiler=Brief synopsis]SG-1 members travel into the future 20 and 40 years and see what their possible futures may hold.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it was a good send-off for SG-1. This story deserved at least two episodes, though. O'Neill should have been in this ep too for obvious reasons. I just don't get why they had to take a fan fav species away from us. :'(

Well, it's really the only way that the SGC would ever acquire the full range of Asgard Technology. I have a feeling that this has been the planned to eventually happen since "The Fifth Race" which was what? Second or third season?. And we've known that the Asgard were dying for the past four or five. Fantastic episode.

I found this a very hard episode to judge. I simply gave it an 'Ok' rating.

On the one hand, it had some emotional moments with the Asgard dying and the SG Team coming closer together.

On the other hand, however, it didn't really have a climatic feel to it. The Asgard destruction was taken very lightly by the crew (they die, the SG-Team go home).

I find myself with very little to say on this episode...It was good and bad. I don't feel like SG-1 is over...

I find myself with very little to say on this episode...It was good and bad. I don't feel like SG-1 is over...

Well, in a way it isn't with the movies, Carter on Atlantis, the third series and so on. But I understand what you're saying. My only problem with the episode was O'Neill's absence. This ep had Jack O'Neill written all over it. It's a shame they couldn't bring him on board like they did in The Shroud...

Yeah, I heard they were making a movie to effectively end the ori storyline, due by the end of the year.

As for the ep:

I was also dissapointed O'Neill wasn't in it... Thor and no O'Neill,... That's just so wrong.

For the story, I rather liked it, BUT

it definately was not a season ender and most certainly not a series ender. It feels more like an in-between story.

One thing that bothered me over the entire episode was the fact that Ori vessels showed up in the Asgard galaxy... That doesn't make sense. They should not have galaxy-extended hyperdrive capabilities. If they did have those, then the rest of the season doesn't make sense. For example, blocking the supergate would not have had any effect, since they could just as easily (ok instead of arriving in 2 seconds they take 2 weeks to travel) have come by hyperspace to our galaxy.

Also, the timing of the arrival of those Ori vessels was very, very convenient... These are the kind of things that ultimately ruined a lot of Star Trek... Continuity... What's that...

Unless I'm missing something of course...

The way things progresses during those 10's of years however, does make up for some things. I liked the way they grew on each other. :)

One thing that bothered me over the entire episode was the fact that Ori vessels showed up in the Asgard galaxy... That doesn't make sense. They should not have galaxy-extended hyperdrive capabilities. If they did have those, then the rest of the season doesn't make sense. For example, blocking the supergate would not have had any effect, since they could just as easily (ok instead of arriving in 2 seconds they take 2 weeks to travel) have come by hyperspace to our galaxy.

That never occurred to me. Are you sure they met up in the Asgard's home galaxy? I assumed it was a neutral planet. It was a bit rude of the Asgard to blow themselves up (as well as the entire planet) before the fight though. Couldn't it have waited until after and helped to defeat the Ori?

Yes, that occured to me too, very sloppy writing...

I'm pretty sure they didn't meet the Asgard in our Galaxy. At a certain point Jacksons says something like: "We've allready passed back into the Milky Way." When he's saying it's unlikely the Ori are using their ascended power to track them directly.

So, I figure that leaves my point valid and you add another valid point, though maybe that can be explained by the asgard being sick and allready have prepared everything for' the 'final explosion', leaving them without ships (yeah, bit of an easy way out... but that's the best I can come up with on short notice :D ).

In any case, I'm not sure if they met the Asgard in their home galaxy, but I can be sure they didn't meet in our galaxy. Further, the begin sequence, with Valla being bored and Teal'c and Mitchell sparring, insinuates that it was a long journey towards the planet...

So, for now, I'm staying with sloppy writing and continuity. I would have expected more from a final episode. Then again, somehow, I did like it...

Luckily we've got some movies coming to really make it a good ending. I bet that is why this episode was not such a 'smash'. They're probably saving it for the movies.[me=TetsuoShima]crosses fingers.[/me]

All I can think of is that the Ori have been spying on Earth remotely and when they saw the Promethius (or whatever this one is called now. These ships are blown up so much I can't even keep up) leave the galaxy they followed.

The Asgard galaxy in the grand scheme of things must be relatively close to ours, but it's never said where the Ori Galaxy is in the Universe. The Universe is a large place and I'm sure that there are some places that are so far away that even "normal" hyperspace travel is impossible to reach in a viable timeframe, thus the need for the Ori to use a Supergate to reach our galaxy.

I watched this episode constantly thinking - stuff like... the Asgard are going to take over the ship, the Asgard are just testing them, they'll reverse time and none of this will ever happen... third time lucky, eh?

In many ways, this was a good episode to close on... in another, more accurate way - this was a rubbish episode. You know how people sometimes complain that DS9 was really just a clips episode? This wasn't... but it basically gave us all the schmaltz and stuff. It just felt very unsatisfying...

The notion that the Ori could track the ship because of the Asgard technology was kind of silly and contrived, essentially to give us this not really a clip show, clip shop.

We don't actually know where the Asgard planet was... remember that the Asgard relocated after their homeworld was overrun by replicators, they then moved somewhere else entirely... possibly in the same galaxy, possibly in a different one. Quite why they decided to commit mass suicide is beyond me... biologically they might have hit a dead end but we know they possess the ability to transfer their consciousness into other bodies and into machines... seemed pretty strange for them to just end themselves rather than live on as a perfect, immortal machine.

Also - isn't it somewhat specious to call humans the fifth race? What with the ancients essentially being one of the original four, we're really just a second shot at the ancients.

All-in-all, I feel it's pretty damned cheeky for them to go "oh, let's finish it on a DVD!" because they had PLENTY of time to wrap up the storyline, we just had so much damned filler in seasons 9/10... not that we didn't always but then, the fall of the Gou'ld was played out over 8 years, rather than two... but I think we all know that the creative team were content to rest on their laurels, toss out a generic EVEN BIGGER THREAT and then, not really investigate it. Ah well, I guess it's one less thing for me to complain about.

Still, I suppose we'll have to see how it goes. I bet Teal'c's age is soon forgotten.

Yeah, the Ori home galaxy must be far away, but even if it weren't, it would still make a lot of sense to use Supergates, which allow instantaneous intergalactic travel. Indeed, those can be very handy, especially if you're trying to invade someone else's galaxy and conquer the place.

It wasn't clear why the Ori followed the Odyssey to the Asgard home planet, Orilla, in the galaxy of Ida, though. If the Ori knew about the tech transfer, they were probably spying on the Asgard, or on the Tau'ri, or on both. Anyway, the writers could have explained that a lot better, IMHO.

In fact, that's one of the reasons why I think Unending should have been a two-parter. I mean, the ep was a good "conclusion" to SG-1, but it was quite rushed for my taste, just like The Shroud and Dominion.

We don't actually know where the Asgard planet was... remember that the Asgard relocated after their homeworld was overrun by replicators, they then moved somewhere else entirely... possibly in the same galaxy, possibly in a different one. Quite why they decided to commit mass suicide is beyond me... biologically they might have hit a dead end but we know they possess the ability to transfer their consciousness into other bodies and into machines... seemed pretty strange for them to just end themselves rather than live on as a perfect, immortal machine.

Who's to say that didn't happen?  Carter was told that any Asgard personality could be called up on a whim. Maybe they downloaded their consciousness into the computer and left that info out. It's like in Atlantis when Jackson was thinking he was talking to a hologram of Morgan Le Fey when in fact he was talking to the real deal. That way, if the Earthlings abuse the technology they can take it all back, or destroy it. It's definitely an out for the writers if they want to bring the Asgard back in the future. It could all be a long term test to see if Earth is worthy.

Yeah i liked that about the episode.

After rewatching the episode, i have re-evaluated my opinion. It was a good episode. It had the odd bad moment but i really liked it and it had some really sad moments.