CompTIA A+ Certification - Anyone heard of it?

Chiggy

Thanks for your support guys.

Some of the questions were really difficult. I was taking the test with six other people and only two got through!

At present I am deciding what I was to do next........a network certification would be nice. I`m not sure I am ready for Cisco and I am not sure what benefit Network A+ would be?

One think I am sure I want to do is the Vista Installation MCP.........when it comes out.

Anyone got any ideas what I should do next?

Thanks.

If you're interested in MS OS-es, you cannot be without MS certificates. If I were you, I'd focus my attention more in that direction, if that is what you're looking for.

A good one to start with would be MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician), it's the "smallest" certification available from MS, with respect to OS-es.

But with the move to vista, a lot of the MS certifications are being reviewed atm, there are short upgrade paths however, if you allready have the XP versions.

MCP exams are not cheap btw (the preparation material also has a price) and they're not very easy either. But if you're working with MS systems, they count for more than 3rd party certifications.

TetsuoShima......your advice is very much appreciated.

All I want to do is to be able to go for a first line support job on head phones.......and have the people who are interviewing me for 1st/2nd  Line ICT jobs start taking me more seriously. Over the past few months that hasnt been happening because the interviewers have been tar brushing me as a 'web designer' because thats the industry all my working experience is in. All I need to do is find an employer who will take a chance by employing me.

• 4 weeks later...

start your own business repairing computers

my son has been working with me for three years and every time he applies for a job they rip his arm off trying to get him. you need experience and repairs is the best way to get it

and you never know you may like it  after all it does pay £45 an hour when you work for yourself

you could look at testout  for some ideas about further training :) just put it in the search engine

i think i own about 14 different  courses and some of them are from test out

it's like a teacher telling you stuff same as ITessentials then you practice it for real

mine aren't much good now that vista has come out  although i suppose the networking is the same regardless

• 3 months later...

Hi Kyran,

Since I got the A+ Ive actually had less ICT job interviews! Even the ICT Trainee jobs seam like they are out of reach!

Your point is noted, I dont have enough commercial experience. Ive asked several employers if they would let me work for them for free and not one has been tempted! One can only assume that it is because they think I will be some sort of drain on their resources and time.

Starting my own business is something Ive considered but due to my location in the UK there isnt high demand and people who want repairs usually dont want to pay for them. They would rather bin a PC with a failed PSU and buy a new box!

College is starting up again soon and I`m going to do the Network + regardless. I`m still totally lost as to how to even start a career as an IT practitioner?