Sunshine

Tenebrae

The new suspense sci-fi thriller with the most hilarious plot ever! Actually, if the Sun was going to explode - THAT would be funnier but as it goes, the Sun dying (no explanation provided) is pretty hilarious. The film doesn't really dwell on the inexplicable elements though... which was nice. The effects were pretty cool too... and apparently Danny Boyle wanted to use gold spacesuits to make it more memorable... They were pretty cool actually... a lot chunkier than the usual fare.

Just think... The Core meets Event Horizon but of course, it shan't be - officially - gracing the Americas for some months... now you know what it feels like!

I think the nice thing about this was that they had kind of advanced stuff but not too much, a reasonable amount for fifty years.

I wrote a vaguely spoilerish thing here if you want a more in-depth description.

• 1 month later...

Excellent direction.....tho some people did not agree with me about the flashing of the faces....much darker than i expected....but what do you expect from Danny Boyle?  :D

Michelle Yeoh......fantastic as always....

0609_michelle_yeoh.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you had Johnny Storm from Fantastic Four as one of the main characters, it was never going to be the best film, was it?

And, yes. I agree, it was basically Event Horizon... sans Sam Neill and the supernatural element.

The rabid zombie demon priest somewhat spoiled it all.

When you had Johnny Storm from Fantastic Four as one of the main characters, it was never going to be the best film, was it?

And, yes. I agree, it was basically Event Horizon... sans Sam Neill and the supernatural element.

The rabid zombie demon priest somewhat spoiled it all.

Hmmmm i've just finished watching  it myself, confusing at times and utterly compelling in others I do agree with you Ten that the demon preist either shouldnt have existed or gets left on the Ikarus 1, the main enemy and focus should have remained on the sun itself. Damned good special effects though i did want to see the actual explosion and the aftermath but hey the budget's only so big.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a late post, but this show really did get great write ups from everyone.. especially the critics, which is a good thing for scifi. I saw it and thought it was great, the acting was as superb as your going to get it in a scifi these days, due to the lacking market.. good concepts for a show based only 50years in the future, a horticultural bay to grow food and recycle the oxygen with trees. I thought it was very well done.

• 2 months later...
Just think... The Core meets Event Horizon but of course, it shan't be - officially - gracing the Americas for some months... now you know what it feels like!

Excellent description, it really did combine elements of these two movies, plus the sunburnt guy reminded me of V for Vendetta (a movie I hated intensely, by the way).

Ultimately I was disappointed.  Effective at building a creepy mood and awesome visuals, but kind of lame as science fiction.

Not liking V for Vendetta? Perhaps I shan't listen to you.

Somewhat off topic, but let me list my biggest dislikes about V:

1) Natalie Portman is a horrible actress.

2) Dialogue and narration were worse than the 2 Matrix sequels.

3) The premise was lame (and was as much a piece of dishonest political propaganda as any recent Michael Moore documentary).

4) The action was really not that cool.