Heroes - best show ever!

TFMF

Several months ago, i was told of a show called Heroes. It didn't sound like somthing i would really enjoy. It was set in the present day, which didn't really appeal to me. And the idea of normal people with superpowers made it sound like Spiderman and Superman in the same show (and i can't say i liked either of those). I sort of just ignored the show.

However, it wasn't long before i noticed many others (even Tenebrae!) were giving this show very good comments, and seemed to really enjoy it. So, several weeks ago, i began to watch the show. I started by watching the first episode, and did find it quite enjoyable, much better than i thought it would be. To be honest, i didn't continue watching until several days later. I found the pilot good, but it wasn't somthing all that exciting. Nevertheless, i pushed on. I watched episodes 2 and 3, and i slowly felt the addiction growing.

It was around episode 6 or 7 that i got to the point where i couldn't watch the episodes fast enough - i was hooked!

I am quite slow at watching new shows. I never really got into Babylon 5, and when i did watch it, i normally had a two week break between each episode. In the beginning, Heroes was like that for me. I suppose you could say it takes a few episodes to get into, but now that i've caught up, i can't imagine why. Every episode is so vital to the series and all are so original and are filled with twists and turns that are unpredictable and really keep you going. I just love how each episode ends in a cliffhanger, no one off episodes. No filler eps.

I have just finished watching episode 18 (the latest episode) and i am so annoyed that i have to wait 4 days until i get to watch episode 19 (airs 23rd April). The show has only had 18 episodes, and yet it has already replaced Doctor Who as my favourite SciFi show, and probably my favourite TV show ever. I mean, how many other scifi shows can say that had such fantastic first seasons?

I suppose what i am saying is, if you haven't watched this show, watch it! I went from thinking of the show as 'meh' to "OMG WHENZ THE NEXT EP!!!!!11", so i think that just shows how good the show is! ;D

Episode 19 airs April 23rd

Amen to that. I never though a tv show would topple my love for Star Trek and dozens of others (BSG, Doc Who, B5, Buffy, Angel, Farscape, etc) I've got a lot of top contenders for "favorite" though it all started with Star Trek, so I've always claimed that as my favorite.

Heroes comes along, and it also did a number on me. I watched it from Episode 1, till current, every Monday night. I've always watched WWF Raw on Mondays (wrestling fan, heh..) for years now but Heroes got me to change the channel on Mondays at 9pm for the first time in almost a decade.

I love it. Tim Kring is a frakking genius. Hiro Nakamura needs his own tv show damnit!

Glad you've finally turned to the dark side :D

I think... no sorry, I know what I really like about Heroes:

Consistency.

Continuity.

Suspense.

Plot.

The characters are real, they react like us, they aren't perfect, none of them gets the spotlight for more than one or two episodes.

I like the cinema serial combined with comic book stylings effect that the show presents itself. Mohinder narrates most of the show but at the same time he's a character within the show

Welcome to the Heroes fan club. I trust now that Zeroes makes more sense.

I have just finished watching episode 18 (the latest episode) and i am so annoyed that i have to wait 4 days until i get to watch episode 19 (airs 23rd April).
How d'ya think we feel having to wait for a month for it? >:(

• 2 weeks later...

Heroes is proof that I'm not a negative nancy, I just have high expectations and Heroes has done a very good job of meeting them.

I agree with Vyperion about the strengths. It's a consistent show with great continuity, that frequently uses suspense to great effect and is all bound together by a fantastic plot.

It's rare for me to find so few faults with a show... but then, it's rare for a show to have so few faults.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a must watched show....probably better though if you are not familiar with x-men etc as every character is super similar........but only in powers, thanks the gods

It is different from them for me because of the humanity of the characters in 'Heroes'

Like TFMF i got into Heroes after seeing everyone rave about it and not being one to miss a chance to see what the fuss is about i decided to give it a go.

The pilot episode i found good but not exceptional. By the end of episode 4 however, i couldn't watch enough of this, and on one day i watched 6 episodes of it back to back! only reason i stopped was because it was late and i wanted to save some episodes for the rest of the week before the next episode was aired.

My attempt to pace this out failed miserably and i ended up with 4 days remaining till the next episode and one hell of a heroes addiction.

I am suffering withdrawal symptoms now the first season of Heroes has ended. If you are reading this post and haven't seen this show yet then you have missed out on what is definitely the best TV show of the Millennium (if not ever)

What i like about Heroes is that all the characters have a good and a bad side to them. Which reinforces the ordinariness of the central characters.

The depth of storytelling in each episode is amazing and the special effects are great.

If i was to criticize anything about this show it would be that the episodes are not long enough and that the season was over to quickly.

In many ways' date=' it's like B5... but more contemporary.[/quote']

And 10 time better ;)

Well, apples and oranges... I'd say B5 was setting up a much bigger story line... but yes, Heroes didn't need that... despite what some people think - it really was all go from the start but I have a substantially different view of sci-fi than most here. Heroes probably is better though - in some respects.

B5 just didn't catch on with me. I watched until half way through the second season, but it just wasn't all that entertaining. Heroes only needed 2 episodes - and you were hooked! Now a series that can get better and better with every episode, and not worry that any of their episodes are 'filler' eps, really is a great show indeed.

I have to agree that to compare B5 to heroes is not a good comparison, heroes to perhaps xmen or fantastic 4 perhaps (these however are comic stories made into films so again no comparison can be made.) maybe comparing it to lost is better (again not the same genre tbh)in which case Heroes is indeed infinitely better.

Ugh - I think all of those comparisons are horrible... trying to compare it to the horrific Fantastic Four film (ugh)... X-men... maybe a bit more... but equally missing the point.

Heroes is just... impossible to compare to anything.

Let wait a few more years, before we start comparing Heroes with shows that were recognized as the best of their time. Who knows how Heroes will be judged/compared when, if possible, another even more popular show appears on the tube. :P

Don't get me wrong, Heroes is 2nd only to Battlestar in greatness (I had to say that ;)), and is a show that has potential to become one of the greatest shows ever. :)

Well, BSG was good - and still is but as I've lamented it often feels as if it has lost focus and especially with season three, It has these great moments but it ebbs and flows. Heroes was pretty much just building up and up and up.

Would have to wait for season 3 before making such a comparison :) absolutely BSG is class but as Tenebrae said season 3 was a bit lame compared to the first 2 seasons.I hope season 4 of BSG redeems itself. none the less season 2 of Heroes is something i can't wait for.