Browser Wars are Over

Megalith

According to this story the browser wars are over.

Microsoft Corp., Mozilla Corp. and other vendors plan to focus on positioning the browser as a development platform. That was the consensus of a panel of representatives at the O'Reilly Web 2.0 Expo who help develop Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and the Google Reader.

This is something thats been in the pipeline for a while, as a developer it's a PITA having to write code for all possible browsers. The news follows on from news earlier in the  month that Microsoft were at last going to accept the Web 2.0 standards (This was the result of a similar meeting with the W3C consortium). this news is confirmation of this and a huge step forward for developing internet based applications.

lol true, but it will make things easier in the short term until the start of the next round to establish Web 3 standards lol.

The good thing is that Web 2 has been accepted by the major browser companies which has to be a good thing.

Exactly TetsuoShima, it's not easy to define but it does attempt (at least in theory) to standardise the net via the W3C standards body but its more a 'what people now use the Internet for' so yep it's an indication of supported standards/technologies.

As such this forum of these companies is an acceptance by them of 'a' direction which they all agree the internet is evolving towards. The news earlier in the month that MS has accepted the W3C standards is way more important news tbh but this is related and shows a cooperation between these browser giants.

MS do however still have several sticking points which they need to move away from imo notably the refusal to move away from backward compatibility to IE4+ this is the biggest issue as a developer and while they refuse to let this go the internet will remain full of bad programming practices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Think I would trust MS as far as I could throw a bull by it's balls, left handed!

I take it you are not a left handed shot put champion :)

I won't hold my breath on this either but it is a move in the right direction. Maybe in the not too distant future developers will be able to write simple concise code that is guaranteed to run on whatever browser the end user chooses to use. i mean MS have said they will adapt the e protocol probably in parallel with its window one, the e is a lot tidier and has more useful extensions than the MS one.