The Federation - Where's Democracy?

Tenebrae

But the command training seems pretty pointless as people seem capable of changing it without anything... Troi managed to become a Lt. Commander by doing ONE holodeck simulation that Riker told her the answer to.

It's just rather too difficult to make any sense out of the facts there are. Best not to try too hard - lest ye be driven mad.

Errr, if I remember correctly, she allready was a LCDR when she first came aboard and she was promoted to full CDR after the episode you mention. Further, it is also mentioned in that episode that the simulation was just one part of the 'examination'.

What's more, the test you're talking about is about getting bidge officer status, not command officer, though she is promoted to CDR afterwards, which can imply all different sorts of things.

I was thinking about it and I realised that the Star Trek universe doesn't seem terribly democratic - not even the supposedly utopian Federation.

So, I wrote a little article about it at my blog. Do say what you think...

glad they didnt cover the political side...as politics is borin!!

Ah, of course... you're right - she became a commander and hence made one of the most idiotic things occur in Star Trek until the Voyager years. Yes, they put Troi above Data in rank.

But as far as I could tell from a conversation between Edison and Sisko and Harry's behaviour, you could just change... Hell, Worf did it without any apparent warning.

I have to agree that Troi's rank was totally rediculous. Sometimes (usually?) the 'show effect' supercedes the 'feel real effect' in Star Trek. Data was promoted to Commander too sometime, but I don't recall if it was before or after Troi. Which would be weird, since Data was the 2nd officer on the Enterprise, so it would be odd if he'd be ranked below Troi. Oh and then there's Geordi, who has the most insane run of ranks and duties.

But eh, I guess I'm going offtopic. :D[me=TetsuoShima]shuts up[/me]