Dell ship PC's with Linux pre-loaded

TFMF

Dell have developed 3 new computer systems, including 1 notebook which they are selling with Ubuntu 7.04 Linux pre-installed.

The move is a result of customer feedback' date=' where Linux enthusiasts wanted the system pre-installed, the company said.[/quote']

You can read more here.

It's quite obvious this is also in response to Windows Vista's poor sales. Another hit for Microsoft. ;)

Depending on how you look at it, it can be either a good or a bad buy for the consumer.

It is good in general, don't let me sy otherwise, but:

The Ubuntu version dells are only $50 cheaper than the windows version dells. If you have to buy windows, you're out a lot more than $50, while you can download ubuntu for free anyway. So if your goal is ultimate cost saving without installing windows, it okay, in all other cases the windows versions are more cost effective.

They held a referendum on dell support a few months ago and one of the things consumers were asking for, was availability of linux on dell oem pc's, this is in direct response to that. Considering my little explanation above, i very much doubt this will be a huge hit. $50 cost saving simply isn't enough in all likelyhood.

yeah good point better to get it without an OS and put feisty on yourself sure aint worth payin dell 50 notes to do it for you hell ubuntu practically installs itself lol (its as easy if not easier than windows)

• 2 weeks later...

feisty fawn is good, but i'd never think Dell would install linux on their computers.

Also i'd say that you can buy the dell with windows on it, then you can run feisty and windows at the same time in a dual-boot. Feisty can run windows programs, but still has some problems with some of them.

I recall one of my friends have shown me some windows programs he ran on ubuntu. can't remember if he used WINE or something though