ok folks yestarday my laptop wouldn't connect online

it is getting full signal but it says limited or no connectibility

i hv checked over computers on my network and they work fine

i can't repair my connection

does anyone hv any ideas 

i tried that bones no luck

i even re-installed windows xp still no luck

TS i am not sure if it is wireless but i think so

i mean my signal strength is excellent but i still get limited or no Connectibility

you say you have a network? am i to assume that all computers on this network are fine?

Have you tried doing connecting the laptop to the router with a cable? 

another possibility could be that the router has got universal pnp enabled this would cause an issue with a fresh install.

have you had the laptop working with the internet or is it a new setup?

have you tried running through the XP troubleshooter for this issue?

yes all the others are fine

the reason i re installed windows was to see if i could get online

tried xp trouble shooter

i think it is something to do with it not signing an ip address to my computer

a couple of days a go i enabled print sharing could this hv done anything????

It could have QS, but as far as i am aware, you enabled that option with no problems.

It loooks like a router-related problem. In your web browser, go to http://192.168.1.1 - that should take you to your router options...however, what kind of configuration you have i don't know...

Nice, that's cool! :)

One thing that I find weird though:

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.

So,... I really don't understand how the registry entries could possibly be corrupted on a clean install... But hey, it's fixed so who cares. :D

having installed and re-installed various versions of windows many times on many types of machines, believe windows can do pretty much anything when it comes to faulty installations. several times I've had installations that ran perfectly until you tried to set up the internet connection. a few rare times when I'd get half way through installation and have to start over again due to it freezing up. windows does NOT like the slightest fault in hardware during installation.

I extremely dislike the latest manufacturer idea of not supplying an installation disk on cd. finding drivers that xp needs when you have a machine that has been completely wiped is a real royal pain without a backup machine that can still get online.

hmm, my experience is you do mostly get drivers on cd for devices that need them, but when you're ready do do a re-install of windwos they are usually so old it's not worth it installing those. It is indeed a problem to find new drivers if your pc is offline and you do not have a spare, in fact repairing any pc without access to another pc is often very difficult.

often helps if the customer has been playing around with stuff

and gets too ambitious

it's on the ftp site if you need it

lol. your site is very helpful but as we have been discussing faulty internet connections, getting there is the problem.

I don't have a laptop with wireless and I do on-site repairs a lot so if the connection is down, I need what I can bring with me to get things running again or I have to take the machine with me which some rural customers really don't like. I always have to bring several copies of various Windows with me as well as other software to get them up and running quickly since the customer might not even know which one he has installed....

" which operating system do you have?

what's an operating system?

the software that runs your computer.

oh, the one it came with, I guess.

which is probably some version of Windows, do you know what it says when it boots up?

boots up?

when you turn it on and it starts, it is booting up.

Microsoft and something about windows.

does it mention XP or a number?

oh yeah, it says Windows XP.

is that the Home version or the Professional version?

well, I guess, it's the XP version."

aren't phone calls great?

I do carry everything needed to get a pc back up and running  but I also have i bad habit of leaving the last disc used in the cd

and if it's the tools cd well.............

I also keep a lot on my 4 gig flash drive but somethings are only occasionally used and thats what the ftp is for

I also have a laptop :) handy for when the customer has really screwed up