BABLYON FIVE: LOST TALES TRAILER!

All caps are - I think you'll see, quite justified... use your delicious brains to work out where the trailer is, as I can't direct link.

The CGI quality is approximately 100 times that of the series... looks interesting...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol hope not as I thought B5 sucked but guess thats just my own view as I am sure alot more people loved it..

I disagree. Babylon 5 was the best thing that happened to sci-fi in the 90's, IMHO. Even Star Trek blatantly copied it. ;D I'd ditch Stargate, BSG, etc. any day to watch new B5 stuff. BTW, I'm also talking about the series, not the movies nor Crusade.

Yep, B5 was fantastic!!! It's starts of a little weird and slow, but after a couple of eps you're hooked for life, the spinoffs were really bad though.

Sooo, I'm hoping this will be as good as the original, though imo they are making it difficult for themselves: "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales is an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe."

(An anthology series is a radio or television series that has a different story and a different cast of characters in every episode.)

That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it does make life more difficult, since it means you have to have a really good story, since people won't be getting into character 'mania' ...

However, as for worth for money on dvd's... This one scores extremely low if we are to believe wikipedia. 2 Episodes on the first dvd each 45 minutes max...

Since I really disliked Crusade and its story and that fako magician is in it, I have my doubts, but the music does make up for it in the trailer. Let's hope they make it goooood! ;D

[yt=425,350]9hGAQMhRTwA[/yt]

• 1 month later...

Interesting news from the Lost Tales front:

B5: Lost Tales Boasts Updated F/X

J. Michael Straczynski, creator of the upcoming DVD movie Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, told SCI FI Wire that he has benefited from advances in visual-effects technology since 1998, the year that saw the end of the Babylon 5 TV show on which the movie is based.

In The Lost Tales, Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner), president of the Interstellar Alliance, heads to an all-important meeting aboard Babylon 5, led by Cmdr. Lochley (Tracy Scoggins).

In the new film, computer animators rendered the visual effects at a higher resolution than was possible even for the final effects on the TV series, Straczynski said in an interview. "One of the effects we could never do with B5 was get too close to either the ships or to B5, because a polygon simply couldn't handle the load," he said. "But on this DVD, we really had some pane-scrapers [shots that got close to ships]. We get right in there. And the degree of resolution of detail is terrific."

When Babylon 5 finished production in 1998, all of the show's assets—wardrobe, props, computer-generated models, texture mattes, etc.—were turned over to Warner Brothers, and the disks containing the computer-graphic information were lost. That forced the new F/X team to start from scratch. And they turned to fans for help.

"The guys in the effects department said, 'My God, how can we get this thing done in time when we have to build everything from the scratch?'" Straczynski said. "I pointed out that a lot of fans out there over the years built their own models of our ships and the station and everything else. So they went out to all these different sites to find high-resolution models and wireframes and texture mattes and so on that they could then take and start building from. So it kind of closed the loop in the sense that Babylon 5 created these images and gave them to the fans, and now the fans have given them back to us. It's a nice bit of symmetry." Babylon 5: The Lost Tales arrives in stores on July 31. —Ian Spelling

SCI FI Wire

Now that's fan support! :D

Wasn't one of the debacles of "Legend Of The Rangers" that TNT (or whoever) had managed to "lose" ALLLLLL the original computer models and effects, leading to ships and effects that were... well, not only totally different but just horrible... I'm sure I hear that somewhere.

Anyway, yes - the effects have come a country mile since B5 finished... I mean, Starwreck had better effects than B5.

I'd have thought the real problem with this sort of project is that there is a relatively limited time frame for the events to transpire. As I recall the last episode of B5 essentially establishes the eponymous station is destroyed about 20 years after the end of the show... and some of that time has already been covered with Crusade. So, I hope they're not going to try and jam a lot of hugely important galactic events into an infeasible amount of time.

lol well i must of just seen the c##p ones then, just couldnt get into it but what the hell didnt miss much, and no it was not the best scifi show of the 90's that goes to TNG and Ds9 hehe

during the time when it was screened

loved TNG, hated DS9.. lothed B5

on wacthing the dvd

watched DS9...loved  it

watched TNG... i don't know how i watched these many eps really really got on my nerves... couldn't wait to watch the last ep and bury it!!

watched B5.. had my doubts but was fully converted after a few eps, its the best sci-fi out there often ended up watching 4-5 ep in a straight run!!!

goes to show how tng aged badly, ds9 was better but you'll find out its a blatent copy of B5.. yes watch the series and forget the movies...

the series was well thought out before an ep was even made... i guess they tried to make a fast buck with the movie and crusades.. story line were a mess....

well that my experience... if you don't belive me watch the first 5 ep and see what happens.... ::)

btw 31 july damn i thought it was the 24th.... oh well  :)

I'd have thought the real problem with this sort of project is that there is a relatively limited time frame for the events to transpire. As I recall the last episode of B5 essentially establishes the eponymous station is destroyed about 20 years after the end of the show... and some of that time has already been covered with Crusade. So, I hope they're not going to try and jam a lot of hugely important galactic events into an infeasible amount of time.

Crusade... TNT really screwed up with that show and the B5 universe to a certain extent, huh? Was some sort of conclusion offered to the plague storyline in Legend Of The Rangers? That's the only B5 movie I didn't watch.

watched TNG... i don't know how i watched these many eps really really got on my nerves... couldn't wait to watch the last ep and bury it!!

I agree. I guess latter sci-fi shows abused TNG's formula and plots so much that I can't stand most of TNG's eps anymore. LOL

Yeah - TNG (and to an extent DS9) and Voyager can just have those episodes that are so formulaic and predictable that you just have to switch off.

I think that JMS was trying to get B5 off the ground as early as 1989...

say all u want about B5, end of the day it was star trek TNG that re launched scifi series, b5 just jumped on the band wagon hehe

oh yeah like the success of the TOS movies & other sci-fi flicks had nothing to do with it ::)

anywho, that ain't in dispute... TNG was good in its day but not now!!!

Ten i think your right... JMS had the  whole series written before the series was shot, and i think it took round ten years to write it too.. i think... ??? 

I don't think he had it ALL written - he had the "bible" of the show but I think that some things changed... for example, I don't think the transition from Sinclair to Sheridan was planned... but I'm not sure. He definitely wrote the vast majority of the show - which is pretty much unprecedented but there you go.

naa that was a major story arc, don't wanna give things away but it had to  have been written into the story line...

what his character develops into he couldn't have time to fight the shadows....

anyone.. i reckon he had most of his arcs characters, and ties already written.

you have to watch it from start to finish otherwise you'll lose the plop.

i reckon B5 was one of the first space operas... i pretty much can't think of anything else before it...

even the new BSG storylines seems shabby and not well but together compared to this...

six

nuff sed! :)

I'm pretty sure that Sinclair was written out because he was utterly useless had no presence, emotion or ability to interact with others.

They came to an 'amicable decision' that everyone agreed on and felt absolutely wonderful about and that the character had run his course and without any warning should be suddenly pulled from the show and replaced with someone with identical initials.

I'm amazed that this project made it. I really thought B5 was long gone.

I seem to be the only one who actually liked Crusade. And Gary Cole as a leading man. The Rangers pilot was completely unnecesary and a poor second that did not deserve to get commissioned in the light of Crusade.

Yeah, wiki says that JMS held up his hands and said he'd painted himself into a corner with Sinclair and that there really wasn't anywhere to go with him... which I'd agree with. He had the whole Valen thing... that was about it, I don't know whether it was the actor or the writing but slug is right - he was like a cardboard cut out on the set. He didn't have the grit of Garabaldi or the fire of Ivonnava or the passion of Sheridan... or even the irritating habit De'Lenn had of making every sentence sound as if it was the most important sentence EVER. The sudden change was a bit jarring but I think Sheridan did a good job of assimilating into the cast. Unlike Lockley... ugh. She and Ezri Dax show how a lead leaving in your last season can REALLY be a pain.

I agree that B5 did it best... though I think JMS wanted it to be called a "video novel"... each season was a book and each episode a chapter - so to speak.

It IS good to know there's more on the way and such... I'm looking forward to it.