NiteSciFi Re-Run TOS: Where No Man Has Gone Before

TetsuoShima

Courtesy of Hilander72:

:)

________

Coming week's episode: Where No Man Has Gone Before

Wednesday, June 13th

[spoiler=Short Plot]Captain Kirk worries when his friend, Gary Mitchell, is transformed by the galaxy's edge into a powerful psionic being, endangering the ship, crew and beyond.

Trivia:

- This was the second Star Trek pilot, but not the first episode to actually air. It was the first appearance for Trek mainstays Kirk, Sulu, Scott, and Leslie. The only held over character from the unaired pilot was Spock, whose eyebrow style would be toned down in later episodes. Other regulars McCoy and Uhura would not appear until the next episode.

- William Shatner was actually the third to be considered for the role of James T. Kirk. Jack Lord and Lloyd Bridges were each offered the role first.

- This episode sets the TOS record for crew members killed: 12 (Mitchell, Dehner, Kelso, and the 9 who Spock says died when crossing the galactic barrier).

heh, seems like I'm the first to actually watch this weeks ep. Or,... at least... the first to comment...

Some observations:

First ep with Scotty. :D

Bones isn't yet on the ship, a different doctor! 2 even, 1 psychiatrist.

They're mostly still in the pilot episode uniforms and style here.

Looking at Gary's eyes, made my own eyes tear, no joke! :D

It is an interesting question posed in the episode, would we naturally become uninterested in lives of other people once we outpower them so greatly? Or was it a side effect from the way it happened to Gary? The girl didn't seem that badly affected, but maybe she wasn't far enough along the path yet?

Oh, and Spock gave a smirk and a hint of emotion at the end of the episode. :D

heh, seems like I'm the first to actually watch this weeks ep. Or,... at least... the first to comment...

I'm awed... ;)

----------------

The eyes are eye-catching. Looks like those, whatever they were, were very painful to wear. Contacts certainly have come a long way since then.

Corniest was the old navy style shouting of commands. Perhaps it was necessary to shout to be sure that it reached the other end (over the intercom). ;)

Oh, one other thing I found rather peculiar, when they were hitting the border of the Galaxy, Gary was holding a female crewmembers hand, not something I'd expect a helmofficer to do in times of shipwide trouble. Different times for sure! :D

Yeah, there were a lot of things i found odd in this episode. I mean we had Scotty, which was cool, but no Bones or Uhura :(

I was a bit surprised when they reached the edge of the galaxy - i see warp drive slows down by Voyager :P

It's a shame we never saw more of the girl (i forget her name) who also had the powers like Gary, as i thought she was a good actor and would have made a nice addition to the crew.

Wow, only the second episode and they've already killed 12 crew and turned 2 into gods... ::)