Hardware Serial Numbers and Firmware Versions in Windows XP

Chiggy

Ive got a question coming up in my next practical ICT exam that asks the student to perform a Hardware Audit of one machine.

A table is provided and the student is asked what the serial number and firmware version of each item of hardware is.

Now heres the catch.........

The student cannot open the case of the PC and the only tool available to them is a fresh installation of Windows XP SP2. NO THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS ALLOWED.

Ive been racking my brains for hours to try and find the Serial numbers for hardware and Firmware versions. Ive been using Device Manager, dxdiag, msinfo32. So far all Ive managed to find is the firmware version of my DVD-ROM. I also thought about looking in the BIOS, I found no relevant information in there, at least not on the machine I was using.

Can any of the technicians here tell me where I can find the serial numbers and firmware versions for all the hardware using Windows XP tools? DOS is another possibility.

Many thanks in advance.

Your a genuis.

Ive asked loads of ICT Pro's about this and no one gave me a straight answer. Its amazing how most of us have become so reliant upon third party software.

Many thanks, you win some Q-ness.

ok I've got sysprep in audit mode............what do I do then?

Not having much luck on google.  :'(

Your talking to a guy who has never used sysprep, only read about it in books.

Thanks.

Hey lol I only read about it too

I'll ask the tech when he gets in  but i don't think anyone has used it for years there are so many better products out there

nope the tech guy has only used it to clone new computers and get them shelf ready

ewww what a nasty question