NiteSciFi Re-Run TOS: The Naked Time

TetsuoShima

Next week's episode: The Naked Time

Wednesday, June 20th

[spoiler=Short Plot]Spock and Joe Tormolen beam down to planet Psi 2000 to pick up a research party before the planet disintegrates. They find all six of the scientists manning the station dead, frozen when life support was turned off. The positions of the researcher's bodies show they were out of their minds when they perished and some died by suicide...

Trivia:

- The environmental suits Spock and Tormolen wore down on the planet's surface were, in real life, made of shower curtains.

- The events of this episode are repeated in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Naked Now". Riker even references something similar happening to a previous Enterprise crew.

- This was the fourth episode of the remastered version of The Original Series to air. It premiered in syndication on the weekend of 30 September 2006 and most notably featured new effects shots of the planet from space as well as a shot of the science station on the surface. New computer-generated shots of the hyper-velocity time warp and Sulu's chronometer (now featuring a stardate clock and military time) were also added. Cited by Michael Okuda as an example of the mistakes to be corrected by the remastered episodes, Scotty's notoriously missing phaser beam was finally inserted into the episode.

- George Takei had great fun acting in this episode, and took his fencing very seriously, avidly practicing his technique on the set and working out to define his chest muscles for his memorable scene in the corridor.

I have to admit, i had no idea TNG took this story from TOS. It wasn't a great ep, but it had some good moments. I think TNG's "A Naked Now" or whatever it was called, was funnier. It had Data drunk :D

But as for "A naked time", it was interesting to see a different version of the story.

- George Takei had great fun acting in this episode' date=' and took his fencing very seriously[/quote']

Indeed - he was funny too. :D

Overall, i am liking TOS.

[me=TFMF]can't wait till next weeks ep :cyclops:[/me]

I just finished watching this and it's still one of the most memorable TOS episodes there are. :)

Was TNG "The Naked Now" supposed to be a tribute to this TOS episode?

If it was, then it failed... Utterly!

What were they thinking, when they made Wesley play Riley's memorable "Acting Captain" part? :(

(not to mention, who wants to watch an embarrassing drunk teenage genious! ;))

"D'Artagnan":

suluthenakednowah7.jpg

Sulu was the "comic sidekick" from day one and it is hard to Takei him seriously even in ST VI (and Heroes). ::)

They only down side is the Time Warp in the end, which is something I wouldn't mind if they could erase from ST canon, using Time Warp. :cyclops:

I just finished watching this and it's still one of the most memorable TOS episodes there are. :)

Was TNG "The Naked Now" supposed to be a tribute to this TOS episode?

If it was, then it failed... Utterly!

Well i wasn't sure if it was meant to be a tribute exactly, but watching A Naked Time for the first time, it seemed like TNG tried to do a DS9 'Trials and Tribulations' ep, or Voyagers 'Flashback'. But yes, i think it failed, and they could have chosen a better ep to 'copy'.

What were they thinking, when they made Wesley play Riley's memorable "Acting Captain" part? :(

(not to mention, who wants to watch an embarrassing drunk teenage genious! ;))

Oh yes, Riley, although equally annoying in the episode, was a much better Captain ;)

Strange episode, entertaining, but strange. Not much more to say about this one. Doesn't tackle any real issues, just good ol' 60's scifi. :D

The time warp thing was a bit strange though, I guess they figured they could use it later on for some different storyline?