You like Opera Web browser now?

TetsuoShima

Just wait a few months and you'll love it even more!!!

The Opera dev team have just announced some featurs in the version 9 update release due this fall. 'Weeklies' will begin appearing in a matter of weeks!

Version number, 9.5, codename Kestrel:

What's new!

After the release of Opera 9 last year, we continued the development of Opera's rendering engine for inclusion in the 9.5 release. As a result, Opera 9.5 contains more than a year of improvements on the rendering engine. This includes improved CSS3 support (text-shadow anyone :D ), superior SVG support and a brand new javascript engine with support for ECMAScript 4 'getters' and 'setters'. Apart from being the best standard compliant browser, Opera 9.5 will also display even more webpages with bad coding.

User Interface

Earlier we asked our users for feedback by enabling the usage statistics. Thanks to all the feedback that we got, we now know more about which features are most popular and which ones are used less. In the Opera 9.5 user interface we made several usability improvements that make the popular features easier to access, and more consistent with other browsers.

Accessibility

Opera's zoom function has always been a very popular accessibility feature. Opera 9.5 takes a big step forward in accessibility by introducing screen reader support B)  , improved keyboard navigation and more consistent keyboard shortcuts.

Platform integration

To make sure that Opera remains the best choice on your platform, we spend a lot of time making Opera feel more integrated with your platform. Mac users can expect a nice new visual look and feel. Opera for Linux will add a QT4 build, so you can easily adjust the skin to match with desktop. There will also be 64-bit Linux/FreeBSD packages made available.

Performance

If you like speed, we've got good news for you! Opera 9.5 will be much faster, both in benchmarks (and we don't have to cheat ;D ) and most important: on real web pages. The user interface will also feel snappier and more responsive, for example switching tabs is now a lot faster on UNIX.

And there is so much more! :) While we're preparing the first weekly build for you, we will introduce you to more new features and changes in 9.5. Keep yourself updated!

The updated Javascript engine and extra speed and better support for 'poorly coded' web pages is what interests me most. I'll be looking forward to this one! :D

Go Opera!

I use both opera and firefox the fact that it will work on more badly written pages i would see as a disadvantage lol thats why i have firefox lol. With firefox 3 being imminant too it looks like i will be upgrading them both soon. my view on badly written websites is browsers shouldn't run them, this would be good for the web development industry and force these poorly written pieces of so called software to be confined to history.

The improved JS engine is interesting tho. :)

Since Firefox went commercial and lots of people have started writing malicious code for it I may well make the switch to Opera.

I don't see any evidence of that!

I use both opera and firefox the fact that it will work on more badly written pages i would see as a disadvantage lol thats why i have firefox lol. With firefox 3 being imminant too it looks like i will be upgrading them both soon. my view on badly written websites is browsers shouldn't run them, this would be good for the web development industry and force these poorly written pieces of so called software to be confined to history.

In theory I'd agree, but in practice I strongly disagree. As long as IE is the number one browser, web-admins are not going to make the effort to make their webpage 100% ok, as long as it runs on IE. FF also has a lot of code to handle poorly written websites btw, even more so than Opera, at least, for the current versions, no idea what the future may bring.

In any case, my reason for naming more support for poorly written code being a plus is twofold: 1. people who write websites as a hobby aren't going to go through the trouble to make it perfect (nor should they, it is their hobby after all and they're free to do it the way they want to), 2. large websites will make special exceptions for different browsers, but only for the most used browsers (which opera does not belong to). As such removing all support for not 100% compliant webpages from opera is the surest way to make sure they will have a lot less market penetration in the shortest amount of time. Nobody likes having to switch browsers all the time, the less we have to do that, the better.

Thats true TetsuoShima, some good points there. I do think good programming practice is a good thing even for the hobbyist tbh but you are right it would decrease Opera's user base. Best if IE was to lead the way in making its browsers work with good code tho than to encourage bad practices.

Some bad programming can have a negative impact on page loading times, a lot of potential users for a site might be turned away. certainly i find it a huge turn off to visit a site thats badly written and theres plenty of examples of (so called) professionally written sites with bad code.

I feel an ambiguity to the Acid2 test in the same way. Just incase any readers don't know, the Acid2 test is how well a browser will display badly written code. currently Opera, Safari and the latest FF beta releases will pass the test but IE is way way off. For the same reasons outlined in my last post I feel however that its a bad route to go down.

As you say however, the browsers although more compatible than ever, are still not 100% with each other especially IE (but it is getting better).

• 4 weeks later...

lol firefox 3 is still in its beta release stage TFMF, the update was a security issue. the biggest problem imho about firefox 2 is it has a memory leak, if i leave it running long enough it slows down to transcieving data at semaphore speed before closing unannounced. I will update opera to 9.5 when it comes out as i use all the browsers but still find the plugins for firefox are invaluable. top 3 firefox plugins, should anyone reading this thread about opera as a firefox user be interested are:-

Grease monkey (for adding scripts)

Development toolkit (for fixing and finding numerous issues)

firebug (for debugging especially useful for debugging java issues)

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't 9.23 final due before 9.5 weekly?

But indeed, after 9.23 final I don't think there will be any more work done on the 9.2 series, only if they discover a major security flaw (doubtfull). The arrival of the 9.5 weeklies has been announced over a month ago, so they should be getting there by now... :D