Gallifrey

maybrick

That's an interesting question. We saw the Master look into the Time Vortex when he was a child - was that sort of 'turning him into' a Timelord? But that does suggest that not everyone is a Timelord.

Simple answer No. not all gallifreyans were time lords. I'll give more concrete examples a lil later but some are admin, some are security and some exist outside the city who have rejected Gallifreyan society entirely. just like any civilization it takes all kinds.

• 10 months later...

Although I have no cannon to back me up, but I'd have to say it's similar to the way you look at Bourbon:

All Bourbon's are whiskey but not all whiskey's are Bourbon,

Just like...

All Timelord's are Gallifreyan but not all Gallifreyan's are Timelord's.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently watched my new anniversary edition of the Five Doctors and in one of the documentaries (extras) they show a scene from "Arc of Infinity" where the Castelan tells a guard named Maxil (played by no less than Colin Baker) that he can consider himself lucky that it's not every day that someone gets the chance to kill a "TimeLord" (aluding to the fact that Maxil isn't a Timelord).

And if I remember correctly, Colin Baker does shoot Peter Davison in that episode (I guess he couldn't wait to take over the role!) haha