Che Guevara from Outer Space

redborg

A little bit of minutae - i dont know if any on this list know of the Posardists - a section of the left wing Fourth International that contest elections and organises in Latin America mainly - their basic credo a la Star Trek is that there are aliens and that they will visit the earth to liberate us. Thier ability to space travel is predicated on a democratically run economy (ie. Communism) as space travel is ultimately imposible under capitalism.

Looking at our progress they might be right, there isn't much progress in space exploration if you ask me.

We should be building massive ships by now and going to proxima centauri and further.

If they will be liberating us.... I would say they should get started... we have lost too much time already. Problem is that communism doesn't really fits us wel... We just aren't very selfless..... Without money what drives us to do something..... I personally would be able to thrive on curiousity, but others?

• 2 weeks later...

Enforced drug addicts.

Or morally repugnant eugenics.

Only way to get man in space is to manufacture spacemen.

They'll be so radically different from the normal stock that the only way 'human' would be applicable is their sentience.

Really it's just too much of a pain in the butt to get our delicate selves to other worlds as breathing living units. MAybe zygotes to be grown and raised on colony worlds but not as folks chilling in jumpsuits.

Television narractive structure does not a successful colonization of the galaxy make ;)

Than again it's proubably my thinly veiled nihilism and paranoid distrust of human nature bleeding through.

Or selfishness.

I want Earth for myself darnit!! B)

Getting the gist right, if not the words exact:

Strange as it may seem, the guiding principle of a Revolutionary is love.[/quote

Guevara has fascinated me for years - ever since I read Motorcycle Diaries. He was a medical doctor whose encounters with the vicious, greedy, destructive underbelly of capitalism led him to become a celebrated revolutionary, and finally a martyr for liberation. I don't agree with all his methods. But I admire him for turning from his "profession" to becoming a professional champion of the downtrodden. I don't think he got it all right - he was an ardent Marxist-Leninist and I'm a pretty solid anarchist-pacifist. But I admire his zeal for those that wealth and western-happiness passed over.

A bigger hero in my book, though, was the late Archbishop Oscar Romero, murdered by American sponsored thugs in El Salvador for daring to speak the truth to power. He didn't take up the sword, he did stand for the poor, the disenfranchised, the downtrodden. He boldly confronted American support for the fascist dictatorship that was destroying his people. He had the courage to fight evil with faith. To use the teachings of the Catholic Church to support the people, not the powerful. That got him assasinated.

I've got a great movie on DVD - not at all Sci-Fi, but powerful. I'll have to rip it and then post a link to another tracker - unless somebody can justify social criticism/biography on a science fiction board.