What are the best Star Trek Documentaries?

Chiggy

Like the subject says............what are the best Star Trek documentaries in your opinion?

Since I`m waiting on the new film, seen all episodes/films many times I figure its a good time to watch all documentaries.

How William Shatner Changed the World was always one of my favourites.......that was shown on Channel 5 here in the UK.

Trekkies and Trekkies 2 are very interesting.

Trekkies takes a look at American based fans. Some average, some the more, eccentric type (the ones who wear their costumes all the time, the one cross-dressing cosplay guy, etc). It's interesting to see how Trek permutated various people from rich to poor. There are quite a few cast interviews from various actors of the different series. Deforest, Doohan, Mulgrew, etc Some of their stories are great. Especially Doohan's about the depressed girl he kept meeting at conventions over the years who after getting a chance to meet him and such got her life back together and got a degree in Electrical Engineering ;) Some people look down on this one cause it kinda paints some trek fans in a bad, bad light.

Trekkies 2 is superior imho. It takes a more broad look at the fans, world wide. You get to meet the guy in the UK who turned his entire apartment into a room from the Enterprise (TNG era and beyond) complete with flashing sound making LCARS panels, etc. You also revisit some of the fans they interviewed in the first one, most importantly Gabriel Koerner. He's a huge trek fan, grew up watching it. His love for it and science fiction lead him to a career in computer digital effects. He's done work on Battlestar Galactica, Superman Returns etc Stuff like that is why I think the sequel documentary is better, it highlights some of the more positive effects Trek has had.

Past that I don't really know many others.

The Trekkies movies were both great showcasing fans of the series.

on another variant branch but related to this topic is a movie called Free Enterprise.

it's a fictionalized version of a couple of fans that have the life-long dream to meet Captain Kirk, even if it is only WIlliam Shatner they get to meet. the scifi puns and trivia nuggets are fantastic. lol. ;)

Shatner doing a rap song is worth the rental.

They got many of the pieces of the puzzle in place — the cast, the crew, and the financing — but it didn't look like Shatner would be on board. "Finally," continues Burnett, "he called us after reading what he called 'the tear-stained letter.'"

When they got Shatner on the phone, he was still not convinced. They finally said, "Is there any way we can get you to do the movie?" Shatner still said no. "But he finally said, unless you change your script and 'make me less of a guru ... more of a real guy. I'm a screwed up man. If you put that in your script, then it could be funny.'"

"And that's exactly what we did," continued Altman. "The movie was really about hero worship, guys who grow up worshipping William Shatner and become friends with him and realize that he is more screwed up than they are. Which is exactly what we went through in real life ... in a good way."