What graphics card for medal of honor Airbourne Assult

Ulysses

For all you keen PC gamers, Medal of honor airbourne assult has now come out over the weekend which I was planning on buying but thought Id better try the demo first which I did and looks like I will be needing a new graphics card as my X800 GTO wont run it.

Does anyone already have a Radieon X1800 GTO? and what they thought of it as I was going to buy one off ebay which was about £40  which I thought wasnt to bad but would like someone elses advise on the X1800 GTO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your wasting your time with the X1800 you want the X1950 which is the official mid range card, providing you arent bothered about DX 10 games. If you had 80 pounds you could buy one of these new. If budget is an issue some of the later Nvidia 7 series cards provide more performance for the same amount of money.

I never buy from ebay because you never know how the card has been handled, or if someone has tried to overclock it.

I dont believe now is the time to invest in a new card, DX10 is knocking at the door and to be honest I havent seen a card with impressive DX 10 performance to warrant a purchase.

I'd agree with Chiggy, the x1950 is the way to go. A new x1950gt can be had for £65, an x1950pro for £80 and an x1950xt for £120. I wouldn't go for the gt, a bit underpowered. You shouldn't expect a major (it's not going to be twice as fast) increase in performance from any of these except the xt though, but you will get a dx9.0c compliant card, all new games will require such a card, most new games will no longer incorporate a dx9.0b render path, dx9.0b is the highest your current card (x800) can run.

The reason the x1800 is not going to be good enough, is because most new games are very pixel shader intensive and the x1800 only has 1/3 of the shaders of the x1950pro and 1/4 of the x1950xt, as far as rendering/vertices is concerned, they are all fairly equal.

If you can find a second hand one, I wouldn't pay over £50 for a second had x1950pro and not over £30 for an x1800gto, provided they are in good shape. The x1950xt requires a very good power supply, it draws over 70% more current than the x1950pro.

Its all about shader processing.

The X1800GTO has 12 processors whilst the x1950XT has 16 texture processors. The texture fill rate is measured in Mtexels/sec, the X1800GT can process at 6,000 whilst the X1950XT 10,000. I know it doesnt sound like a lot more but that is the difference between being able to run Need For Speed Carbon.

If your worried about power consumption then the Ati cards are not for you. Only the other day I was looking at my electricity meter outside and when I turned on my uber machine with a 550 Watt supply you wouldnt believe how quickly it started to spin! I prefer something like the 7600 GT it may be only entry level but at least it can be run on a 350 Watt supply.

If you can find a 2nd hand working x1950pro in good condition, you might be able to get it for £50, you won't find a new one for that price though. It's a good performing card (I have it myself too :D ) for a decent price and power consumption is acceptable. If you want a comparable nvidia, you'll need to go for a 7900gs, though that's priced at the same level and performs a bit worse.

One level lower would be the 7600gt, but you'll definately notice that it performs a lot worse than the x1950pro, but it's cheaper too. If you want to play recent games on decent quality levels, you should most definately not buy anything slower than an x1950pro, that's the absolute minimum atm imo.

In a nut shell.........

If you want to buy the Radieon X1800 GTO DONT buy a 7600 GT instead.

If you can afford to upgrade your PSU buy a x1950XT.

But if you want a card that has the best DX 9 performance of any other card buy the Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2........it is no longer sold in shops anymore, but trust me its as good as DX9 hardware will ever get.

In a nut shell.........

But if you want a card that has the best DX 9 performance of any other card buy the Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2........it is no longer sold in shops anymore, but trust me its as good as DX9 hardware will ever get.

Ive got my eye on a 7600GT....will ave to wait till tomorrow..

• 4 weeks later...

In a nut shell.........

Ive got my eye on a 7600GT....will ave to wait till tomorrow..

I have a 7600GT in my gaming machine. Never had ANY problems with it, and it performs quite well. I'll admit, the latest games do suffer slightly, and I am looking into upgrades.

What would be a nice upgrade for it?

Oh, dear, you're still using AGP?

Well, in that case, this card is about as fast as you can get, there isn't anything that's significantly faster available on AGP slots. I must warn you though, when this card was first released, there were numerous complaints from people with low quality psu's that the card didn't run properly and that the VR's (voltage regulators) were constantly overheating, causing the card to fail intermittantly. There has been a board upgrade for 'newer' models and that shouold fix the problem, if it's a 'new' version, you'll be set for a while, if it's an old one and you don't have an excellent psu, you'll be in more trouble than you'd like.

yep, pcie it will have to be. :D

But that's probably good news, since pcie versions are less likely to have the power issues described above and they should be cheaper, since no extra pcie-agp bridge chip needs to be on the board (x1950pro is only made in 1 flavour: pcie, to have it function on agp, they build in a bridge chip on the board), thus the board can be made cheaper. :)

Haven't played it, but from what I see online, old generation nVidia cards don't give good framerates at all on it, the 7950gt is actually slower than the 1950pro from ati. Again, the 1950pro is the cheapest card that will give you 'enough' performance on this game, on the bright side, it is said that the sys requirements are slightly lower compared to your other alternative game. :)