Escape from New York Remake

Rara Avis

So, they are going to mess with another classic (Escape from NY) by remaking it and they are not casting Kurt Russell!!! I don't know how you feel about that but (like Kurt) I feel he is the only one to play that part. He's not too old for a reprise. They're casting some British actor instead. The character is a true American icon (at least to fans of the movie). Can a British actor do the role justice?

Kurt's take on the situation:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_20037403_20015465,00.html

Hugh Laury does a pretty bang up job of being sarcastic America, Gregory House... so, yes. I think it's a lot easier for a Brit to be an American than vice-versa.

Kurt... yeah, he probably COULD play Snake again... but why remake the film with the same lead? Actually, why remake the film at all? It was a classic.

It's a classic and so is the sequel but Escape From New York is getting a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake WITH Kurt in it. He's just so integral to the part of Snake. No offense, but if they want a Brit to play the part why not make it Escape from London? Or was that 28 Days Later?  >:D

I`m a big fan of both films and to be honest I see no way that EFNY can be improved upon...........in regards to special effects, acting or story.

They should write a new script that follows from EFLA staring Kurt Russell. That film would be a valuable contribution as it would complete a trilogy. So what happened to America once they lost all power...........there certainly is potential for one very dark moody Snake film.

Get Gene Hackman to play the military government bad guy whos blackmailing Snake. Even after 1 minute of thought on this topic I`m coming up with better ideas than this ill conceived re-make.

Snake shut down the energy grid for the planet so everybody has to climb back up. The Wild West went international. That really could be a great movie since not everything was turned on to be damaged by the EMPs. Depending on the areas with decent tech still active. many new nations could be started. Snake would be the perfect hero/villain for that world.

Certain things are better left untouched. Examples: Escape from New York, ST: TOS...

This remake mania is really getting out of hand.

I totally agree, as it seems most here do. A sequel/remake with Kurt -OK, otherwise - NO!

Hugh Laury does a pretty bang up job of being sarcastic America, Gregory House... so, yes. I think it's a lot easier for a Brit to be an American than vice-versa.

Kurt... yeah, he probably COULD play Snake again... but why remake the film with the same lead? Actually, why remake the film at all? It was a classic.

You are right about Hugh Laury. He's great in House MD. I didn't even know he was a Brit until I watched his screen test for the role. I also agree that "Escape" is a classic.

Hugh Laury as Snake?

"I say, what 'o Snake! Time to give those post nuclear holocost convicts a good old thrashing dear boy, six of the best".

Dream on Hollywood. I am British and I say bring back Kurt because your insulting the man with these rumours.

If the people who are making these calls invested in any of the special edition Snake DVD's they would understand how Kurt feels about these films.

Gerard Butler as Snake? I think his fate will be the same as those guys he kicked down the pit at Sparta. I know I wouldnt accept him as snake just as I wouldnt accept anyone else to play Indiana Jones.

The Escape from New York web site tells a different story........

Apparently a meeting was held at Paramount with both John Carpenter and Kurt Russell in attendance. The topic — preparing for a third entry in the Escape from New York franchise entitled ESCAPE FROM EARTH. Apparently, Carpenter completed a script for the project eight years ago but the studio has now taken an interest in it after Russell demanded doing it before signing on with the studio for a three picture deal. Although the screenplay is being kept under tight wraps, we’ve been told by somebody who knows this guy who was lucky enough to take a peek at the first few pages that the script takes off immediately where the previous left off and features our planet en-route to Armageddon.

http://www.escapefromnewyork.co.uk/

lol, Hugh Laurie is a second fiddle actor on Blackadder with Rowan Atkinson.

find it, watch it, laugh out loud.

Hugh Laurie may be a "second fiddle actor on Blackadder" (as you say) but he's quite excellent on House, MD none the less!

HELL YEA!!!

lol, Hugh Laurie is a second fiddle actor on Blackadder with Rowan Atkinson.

find it, watch it, laugh out loud.

Hugh Laurie may be a "second fiddle actor on Blackadder" (as you say) but he's quite excellent on House, MD none the less!

ON Blackaddder he was part of the ensemble cast not the main character. he was second fiddle. on House, he IS the main character. my comments never implied he was less than a great actor.