Voyager(Spoiler Allert)

Konst

Well, I am sick of people who didn't watch voyager acting like it is all good and that they can't wait to watch it when they can. So I decided to spare them the trouble and spoil the ending of Voyager.

The Voyager, makes it back home to Earth

250px-BenSisko.jpg

Yeah, real spoiler that they didn't get home until the last episode... although, from what some people say here it sounds there would have been some interest in a few "clear up" episodes, to just show that everyone ended up living happily ever after.

Of course - as B5 demonstrated - you can generate quite a lot of disappointment with the gap between the climax and the end. There's a scientific formula in there, to deduce the optimum length between climax/resolution and the end. While a whole season of tidy up may have ensured that when the last episode ended, pretty much everything that had been started, was done... I think most people would agree that five was probably the weakest season... or at least on a par with one.

With Voyager, you could at least say they didn't draw it out - like they did with DS9. Ugh... DS9 didn't even get the schalmtz right because they left out Jadzia from the flashbacks.

Best not to start on Janeway though, I think we've all expressed our opinions on her. We all know where we stand, we're none of us going to budge... so let's sleeping Janeways lie.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Living Witness IS hilarious...

The Prime Directive is pretty vague though... initially it seems to be about non-interference with pre-warp cultures but by the time of TNG it seems that you can't help ANYONE - note the Klingon civil war, where Gowron asks Picard for help and is turned down and of course, various allusions by Picard as to how they have let "the weak fall" by their non-interference.

I suppose that's really the problem with having something which is portrayed as being SO utterly fundamental to the philosophy of a culture... but also, so ill defined and perpetually flouted. Janeway keeps going on about the necessity of sticking to Starfleet rules... except the Prime Directive, which she goes out of her way to break.

• 3 months later...

The Prime Directive forbids altering the prospective future of a civilisation that hasn't developped space travel. It also forbids getting involved in internal affairs of interstellar organisations. In the case of the Klingons, Gowron was asking for help in a Civil War. Internal affair.

The Federation could have gotten their foot in the door if the Klingons were at war with.... oh, let's say, the Breen. But only if defeating the Breen averted a war between the Breen and the Federation later on.

I'm sure the federation would have had to help the klingons in any war they were in, otherwise they wouldn't really be allies. Allies help each other when in times of need unless otherwise specified in the agreement between the two sides. The federation angered the klingons by not helping them fight the cardassians an the two only mended ways when the need arose in season 5 of DS9.

As for Voyager, too long, too drawn out, boring, limited plot growth as it was all about how Voyager got home. In a literal sense Voyager was on a single track throughout its run.