Companion Chronicles

Potato

I just listened to all four Companion Chronicles and here is my general impression of each:

Frostfire: I enjoyed this one, especially the causal loop of the thing, but it didn't quite feel First Doctory to me.  It felt more like a much newer type of story. Grade B+

Fear of the Daleks: Not bad, but felt off somehow.  There are only 3 Daleks!!! It could easily have been made for TV, with so few Daleks (even in the sixties). Grade: B

Blue Tooth: The Third Doctor finally gets a Cyberman story, sort of.  Probably the worst of the 4, it proports to be when Liz first decided to leave the Doctor, but we are denied any real evidence that this occurred and there doesn't seem to be a real ending.  Plus, what ending there is was swiped from the Silurians TV story. Grade: C-

The Beautiful People: The best of the bunch. Lalla Ward reads it quite dramatically unlike the more phoned in performances on the others. The plot is an excellent mirror to view society with, like all good science fiction.  It is set during the uneven season 17 but would fit easily with the best of that season.  The writing is funny without being dumbed down and we even get some references to Douglas Adams thrown in for good measure.  Grade: A+

Now what about the rest of you? What did you think?

• 3 months later...

Well I listened to Mother Russia, which as an audio book is quite alright, though it is an audio book rather than an audio drama. You have Peter Purves as Stephen Taylor, narrating the story and most of the voices. The "twist" or ending was obvious (to me any way) fairly early on but a nice story and a nice addition to anyone who wants more Hartnell stories

I haven't got the first season stories mentioned, but might try to.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, finnally sat down with Catalyst and it is the best of the second run of this series.  It is on a par with the best from the first run, The Beautiful People.  It is a perfect Leela vehicle.  Very nice. Grade: A+

Old Soldiers, the Third Doctor offering, was much better than The Blue Tooth, but still not great.  Grade: B

Helicon Prime was probably secon best of this set of four.  It fits in the same gap as the Two Doctors, wherever that is, and is read wonderfully by Frasier Hines. Grade: A

Mother Russia, was a far weaker story than Frostfire from the last round but is a much more traditional First Doctor tale.  It is probably the worst of the secon series, but I still like it better than The Blue Tooth. Grade: C+